FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Xbox In Surround Sound..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

FINALLY got the new T.V. and surround sound hooked up.

Looks great in HD. I have a new love for baseball and football. It truely is a new experience in HD.

So here's the scoop....

I'd lover to hook up the Xbox to run through the surround sound.

As it stands now, I have it working through the T.V.
And by looking on the back of the surround system, there isn't another input bank for the Xbox. Just and "out" red yellow and white bank.

Am I skrewed? or is there a different way I can hook it up so it will work?

Jesus, I hope that made sense. :blink:

(My goal is to make my NHL Xbox nights with the boys a little more dynamic.)
It seems such a shame to have a nice big picture and nothing to make it sound better.
good question.. what kind of receiver do you have? can just look up the inputs that it has on the 'net.

I know for my PS2 (and PS3), i just use the optical audio -- however, it all depends on if it's being used already on your receiver or not.

Maybe I should just swing by to check this thing out in person :P...
Does xbox have a optical out?, if so you can hook up the xbox into your "optical in" on your reciever.
I'm already using the optical output on the reciever.

My receiver is a Samsung home theatre in a box. A nice one nonetheless.

I'll see if I can find the inputs on-line somewhere.
ANTHONYD,Oct 22 2007, 09:52 AM Wrote:I'm already using the optical output on the reciever.

My receiver is a Samsung home theatre in a box. A nice one nonetheless.

I'll see if I can find the inputs on-line somewhere.
[right][snapback]251494[/snapback][/right]

ahhh.. ok.. HTiB's tend to be a bit limited in what you can do -- especially input wise. If there were a free Aux input, you could still get dolby prologic surround from the xbox (and hell, it's gotta be better than just the TV :P) ..
If by any chance you have a *gulp* vcr hooked up to your receiver, then use it's inputs for your xbox.
What all have you got plugged to the receiver?
You can always get one of those multimedia switches that has alot of inputs and one output to your receiver.
Hey Anthony, any chance you could get us a picvture of the rear of the receiver? It'd help us to determine what options you have for hooking up your XBox.

NefCanuck
Go to SAYAL on Plains Rd. Between Walker's Line and Appleby. You can buy an optical input selector switch for IIRC about $15. You'll need to buy a short optical cable too.

http://www.trianglecables.com/os-3pt.html

Yeah, it's not automatic or fancy but it does work. I only have 3 optical inputs on my receiver but I have 4 devices I need to hook up.
is it just a regular Xbox or a 360?

i'm guessing you TV is able to display High Def, if its just the old Xbox then get a High Def AV adapter for it. You'll get digital optical audio and high def picture up to 1080i

heres what it looks like.

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Hardware/xbox/hi...itionavpack.htm
Trouble is... it's an old Xbox.

That may be my first issue.

i had 5.1 surround sound with that kit on my old xbox.
Nice!

I'll have to swing out to best buy this weekend and see if I can get one.
ANTHONYD,Oct 23 2007, 09:37 AM Wrote:Nice!

[right][snapback]251557[/snapback][/right]

unfortunately, I didn't see any in stock at futureshop or best buy.... which seems weird... nor does EBGames have any xbox accessories being advertised (like the xbox just disappeared?)..

Next time I'm up at yonge and eg I'll check Gamerama for ya... maybe catch up for wings sometime?
darkpuppet,Oct 23 2007, 09:01 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Oct 23 2007, 09:37 AM Wrote:Nice!

[right][snapback]251557[/snapback][/right]

unfortunately, I didn't see any in stock at futureshop or best buy.... which seems weird... nor does EBGames have any xbox accessories being advertised (like the xbox just disappeared?)..

Next time I'm up at yonge and eg I'll check Gamerama for ya... maybe catch up for wings sometime?
[right][snapback]251558[/snapback][/right]

There's also Wal Mart, they still have some Xbox accessories (and I can almost say that I saw the HDTV A/V kit recently but that would have been out at the Pickering Wal Mart)

NefCanuck
Wings sound good.

I'll have a look at walmart this weekend.
I also have an EB games across the street from the house I'll have a look in.

Let;s set up a wing night shall we????
EB Games is really hit & miss now with Xbox accessories I find but here's hoping (They're all about pushing the Xbox 360 stuff now)

PS2 still gets pushed @ EB because of the huge installed base (that hasn't migrated to the PS3 in numbers that SCEA would like)

NerCanuck
So futureshop / bestbuy is still my best bet?
ANTHONYD,Oct 24 2007, 07:53 AM Wrote:So futureshop /  bestbuy is still my best bet?
[right][snapback]251597[/snapback][/right]

They didn't have anything available via their websites -- so chances are slim that they have in store (but sill worth checking out).

It might be beneficial to check other large retailers, like zellers, toys R Us, etc..