FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Friggin' Hell!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so I'm working like a good boy should on his detailed design document -- when copying a table's contents from a teammate's doc to my own, it crashed MS Word.

Now here's the kicker...

I bring Word back up, and it retrieves backups of this file from Tuesday and another file on Wednesday... marks them as 'repaired' -- fine. BUT WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY CHANGES FROM WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY AND FRIDAY?

This coming week is not getting off to a great start....

screw this, I'm going outside
Ugh... that's why I have Office 2003 set to paranoid mode at the office (10 minute autosave)

NefCanuck
Microsoft is for pussies. :lol:
NefCanuck,Oct 21 2007, 08:24 PM Wrote:Ugh... that's why I have Office 2003 set to paranoid mode at the office (10 minute autosave)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]251454[/snapback][/right]

this IS with 10 minute auto-save.

something really bad went down when I went to copy some content -- there were some other damaged files found on the hdd when I did a scan over night.. but surface scan said it's ok...
I use NeoOffice for my mac and its never crashed........
D-Dub,Oct 22 2007, 09: Wrote:I use NeoOffice for my mac and its never crashed........
[right][snapback]251493[/snapback][/right]

yeah, unfortunately, I have to write documentation that the other 98% of the populace can read and edit. :P
darkpuppet,Oct 22 2007, 08:29 AM Wrote:something really bad went down when I went to copy some content -- there were some other damaged files found on the hdd when I did a scan over night.. but surface scan said it's ok...
[right][snapback]251490[/snapback][/right]

I wonder... only Office linked files got trashed right?

I wonder if the HDD has some sort of issue, you weren't by any chance doing anything HDD intensive in the background were you? (Virus scan or defrag comes to mind)

How old is that HDD anyways?

NefCanuck
Neo office is essentially open office ..........100% of the public can read your docs because it saves in 7 different formats.
D-Dub,Oct 22 2007, 02: Wrote:Neo office is essentially open office ..........100% of the public can read your docs because it saves in 7 different formats.
[right][snapback]251530[/snapback][/right]

I wish it were that simple -- maybe if the docs I worked on were simple documents, but they aren't -- there's a lot of things in them that don't play nicely with open office and the others.

Can you physically find other backups in the Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\<temporary file folder>? Might want to start checking there. If that particular folder isn't there, check the others under Documents and Settings\Local Settings and Application Data... it should be under Application Data somewhere.
yeah, I spent a couple hours searching for things -- even checked my lotus notes temp dir just in case.

Whatever it done broked, it broked real gooder.