FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: For Those Doing Home Reno Thought I'd Share This
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In our last home we had problems with a leaky shower. We bought 10 year old home this fall (which is why I had to sell my car...SIGH). The house was great except for the master bath it looked like it needed the grout cleaned and re caulked, sadly not this turned into a project a little larger than what I had expected. I was looking at it one weekend ready to tackle it pulled up on the marble threshold and it just gave way, was stuck down with what looked like bulldog grip, I guess to hide the broken moldy tiles underneeth.

Ended up rebuilding the shower with the schluter kerdi system, rather than repeat the same modly mess 10 years later. Technically now my shower is waterproof for life, or until I want to renovate the bathroom again :)

Below is my somewhat crappy documentation on the whole thing with photos.
http://1036nas.kicks-ass.net/images/shower/

John Bridge Forums is a very good place to start if you want to do any tilework yourself, helpfull guys there.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
Fantastic job man.
I wish I had the kahoonas to take on projects like that round my house.
Holy Crap You did an awsome job. Our Washroom is number two on our reno list 1st up is garage. ;)
ZX3_2NV,Jan 13 2010, 01:36 PM Wrote:Holy Crap You did an awsome job. Our Washroom is for number two, 1st up is garage. ;)
[right][snapback]299500[/snapback][/right]

Corrected for accuracy.

Nice to see the priorities are set up correctly at your place Dru. Garage is always #1.
Well it was #2 From the begging. Actually ive been meaning to make my own post so keep an eye open for my renos shortly. but back To Kevin's wicked washroom I even like the writting on the walls. Very modern.
Once I started smashing tiles with a hammer I had no choice but to fix it :P
The writing on the walls was my wife with her Cricut, about time she used it for something usefull!

#1 for me was washroom, #2 daughters room, #3 new daughters room, #4 garage..

I'm hoping #2 and #3 go fast, i've got some sick plans for my garage with 15ft high ceilings its going to be fun..no hoist tho :(
ZX3_2NV,Jan 13 2010, 02:36 PM Wrote:Holy Crap You did an awsome job. Our Washroom is number two on our reno list 1st up is garage. ;)
[right][snapback]299500[/snapback][/right]

No pun intended I hope.
Great work! I've gotta get some tile experience, we always call a tile guy in after we demo the shower to replace a t&s valve.
Great job Kev. I mean really nice work and the fact you went the extra mile to use the Kerdi system, two thumbs up.

I am working on my one renos(in a new house too) with the installation of a bathroom myself and I am currently at the stage of doing the Kerdi.

I'll post picks of the 12'X12' bathroom with a sauna(one day) when i get closer to completion.

Again, great work.

Oh, but I did the garage first. I mean, we got the house and I started the garage before anything was moved in. It's in a state of mess from the reno right now, but it usually is very organized.

But I can't fit a car into a 2 car garage. The sleds fit in nicely though.
hardk0re,Jan 13 2010, 04:02 PM Wrote:Once I started smashing tiles with a hammer I had no choice but to fix it :P
The writing on the walls was my wife with her Cricut, about time she used it for something usefull!

#1 for me was washroom, #2 daughters room, #3 new daughters room, #4 garage..

I'm hoping #2 and #3 go fast, i've got some sick plans for my garage with 15ft high ceilings its going to be fun..no hoist tho :(
[right][snapback]299521[/snapback][/right]

Ceilings like that and no hoist almost a waste. B) Double Your Garage.
I've got 1 girl, and the # of PINK toys in my garage is already more than I want, with 1 more girl comming the PINK invading my man space will increase exponentially. I've gotta segregate things :)

You need land my friend. An acre property with 2+ car garage for the girlies and a barn or workshop that can fit 10 cars out back.

Now that's a man cave.
hardk0re,Jan 14 2010, 10:24 AM Wrote:I've got 1 girl, and the # of PINK toys in my garage is already more than I want, with 1 more girl comming the PINK invading my man space will increase exponentially.  I've gotta segregate things :)
[right][snapback]299582[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
I only have 1 kid and cant beleive how much junk he comes with. lol. I need another shed!

Good job on the washroom Kevin, I'll be starting mine in the basement soon.

That reminds me, I should post some pics of the Man's den...pretty much finished, other than the washroom that is...