FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toyota's Reliability Slips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Toyota reliability slips in Consumer Reports survey
October 17, 2007
Source: Canadiandriver

Yonkers, New York - Data from Consumer Reports' 2007 Annual Car Reliability Survey shows that Toyota is slipping in reliability ratings, while Ford's domestic brands have made considerable improvements. The announcement was made before the Automotive Press Association in Detroit yesterday.

The Toyota Camry V6 and Tundra V8 four-wheel drive, both redesigned for 2007, now rate below average in Consumer Reports' predicted reliability rating, as does the Lexus GS all-wheel drive sedan. Because Consumer Reports does not recommend models with below-average reliability ratings, these models no longer make the magazine's "recommended" list. The Camry four-cylinder and hybrid models, and GS rear-wheel drive models scored above-average in reliability and continue to be recommended.

Despite these ratings, Toyota - including Lexus and Scion, a nameplate not sold in Canada - still ranks third in reliability among all automakers, behind only Honda and Subaru. However, Consumer Reports says that it will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design. Previously, such models were recommended because of the automaker's track record, even if the magazine did not have sufficient reliability data on the new model. Consumer Reports say it may resume this practice if Toyota returns to its previous record of outstanding overall reliability.

The 2007 survey also shows that the odds of getting a reliable new vehicle from Ford are the best Consumer Reports has seen in years; 41 of 44 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models in the survey scored average or better in predicted reliability. The Ford Fusion and its sister car Mercury Milan (a model not sold in Canada) are among the most reliable, and along with the Ford F-150 V6 two-wheel drive, make up three of the four domestic models on Consumer Reports' "Most Reliable" list. In addition, the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator were all average or above.

"Ford continues to improve," said David Champion, senior director of the Auto Test Center. "The reliability of their cars has steadily improved over the years, and is showing consistency. We believe Toyota is aware of its issues and is trying to fix problems quickly."

Overall, U.S. brands accounted for 20 of the 44 models on Consumer Reports' "Least Reliable" list, with 13 from GM, 6 from Chrysler, and one from Ford. European makes accounted for 17 models, including six from Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen/Audi. The list also includes the Hyundai Entourage, Infiniti QX56, Mazda CX-7, Nissan Armada 4WD, Nissan Quest, Nissan Titan 4WD, and Toyota Tundra V8 4WD. Other models with declining reliability include the Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Volkswagen Passat V6.

Nineteen domestic models have been added to the "Newly Recommended" list, including the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Dodge Charger. When ranked overall by make, Honda and Acura have the highest average scores of the 36 brands, followed by Scion, Subaru and Toyota; Buick is the highest-ranked domestic brand, while Land Rover on average is the least reliable.

Findings are based on responses on almost 1.3 million vehicles owned or leased by subscribers to Consumer Reports or its web site, http://www.ConsumerReports.org. The survey was conducted in the spring of 2007 by Consumer Reports' National Survey Research Center and covered model years 1998 to 2007.

wow, this is a good sign for ford. I wonder how good the Edge really is.
mo_focus,Oct 17 2007, 01:15 PM Wrote:wow, this is a good sign for ford. I wonder how good the Edge really is.
[right][snapback]251164[/snapback][/right]
go drive one. you'll love it.
meford4u,Oct 17 2007, 02:06 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Oct 17 2007, 01:15 PM Wrote:wow, this is a good sign for ford. I wonder how good the Edge really is.
[right][snapback]251166[/snapback][/right]

Driven a few of them at work, very nice work Meford. I love the sat-nav media system very easy to use, not to mention they handle great. though... the pastic in the interior is a bit hard, and scraches too easily.
Frost__2001,Oct 17 2007, 02:12 PM Wrote:Driven a few of them at work, very nice work Meford. I love the sat-nav media system very easy to use, not to mention they handle great. though... the pastic in the interior is a bit hard, and scraches too easily.
[right][snapback]251168[/snapback][/right]

I think that the plastic is like that becuase of the 'greener' composition of the plastic. Less toxic, less off-gassing, but to do that, you change the behaviour of the plastic.
meford4u,Oct 17 2007, 06:06 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]251166[/snapback][/right]

Thanks meford, I just have to wait for a bit until i can get some nice lease return, maybe in 2-3 yrs.

darkpuppet,Oct 17 2007, 02:20 PM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Oct 17 2007, 02:12 PM Wrote:Driven a few of them at work, very nice work Meford. I love the sat-nav media system very easy to use, not to mention they handle great. though... the pastic in the interior is a bit hard, and scraches too easily.
[right][snapback]251168[/snapback][/right]

I think that the plastic is like that becuase of the 'greener' composition of the plastic. Less toxic, less off-gassing, but to do that, you change the behaviour of the plastic.
[right][snapback]251172[/snapback][/right]

Go to the Lincoln MKX if you want soft plastic. Everywhere an owner would have to touch it does feel much better.