FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got Torque?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RedGreen goes racing?
wow...lol, but he didn't win the race :P
Holy Twwisted Metal (Brackets) Batman! :blink:

NefCanuck
Someone forgot to tighten up the ladder bars. Tee hee hee, oops!!!
torque, isn't that something Nos' new car doesn't have lol
The place I work at has a driveline shop, we build a lot of driveshaft for dragster etc. as well tractor trailers and other trucks.

We had a driveshaft come in to be repaired from a local towing company. Turned out that a guy on a test drive of a brand new dodge 1ton dually diesel tried to do a brake stand and snapped the front yoke on the drive shaft. To make it worse, the tow truck driver must have rode the short bus to school, he didn't tie the drivesahft up, figuring "it would be ok just tucked up there." Yeah, it fell down after about 100 ft or so doing about 60kmh. The back end of the pick up apparentley came about a foot off the ground when the shaft dug into a manhole that was sunken down a bit, it shattered the other u joint and yoke, bent both shafts, destroyed the diff, bent the rear axle and did a bunch of body damage.

Rmemeber, this was on a test drive, a $70,000 truck. Never insured, bought, nothing and it had about $12,000 in damage. After they got everything back together and repaired, they put the truck back on the lot for full price. 2 of us went down to the dealer and checked it out. There was our company sticker on the driveshaft. When we asked the sales guy why it had a different driveshaft than the others, he told us it was aftermarket heavy duty, at no extra expense. I handed the salesman my card and walked away.
focusracer,Oct 16 2007, 02:08 AM Wrote:The place I work at has a driveline shop, we build a lot of driveshaft for dragster etc. as well tractor trailers and other trucks.

We had a driveshaft come in to be repaired from a local towing company. Turned out that a guy on a test drive of a brand new dodge 1ton dually diesel tried to do a brake stand and snapped the front yoke on the drive shaft. To make it worse, the tow truck driver must have rode the short bus to school, he didn't tie the drivesahft up, figuring "it would be ok just tucked up there." Yeah, it fell down after about 100 ft or so doing about 60kmh. The back end of the pick up apparentley came about a foot off the ground when the shaft dug into a manhole that was sunken down a bit, it shattered the other u joint and yoke, bent both shafts, destroyed the diff, bent the rear axle and did a bunch of body damage.

Rmemeber, this was on a test drive, a $70,000 truck. Never insured, bought, nothing and it had about $12,000 in damage. After they got everything back together and repaired, they put the truck back on the lot for full price. 2 of us went down to the dealer and checked it out. There was our company sticker on the driveshaft. When we asked the sales guy why it had a different driveshaft than the others, he told us it was aftermarket heavy duty, at no extra expense. I handed the salesman my card and walked away.
[right][snapback]251060[/snapback][/right]

Wow...just wow.
focusracer,Oct 16 2007, 01:08 AM Wrote:Rmemeber, this was on a test drive, a $70,000 truck. Never insured, bought, nothing and it had about $12,000 in damage. After they got everything back together and repaired, they put the truck back on the lot for full price. 2 of us went down to the dealer and checked it out. There was our company sticker on the driveshaft. When we asked the sales guy why it had a different driveshaft than the others, he told us it was aftermarket heavy duty, at no extra expense. I handed the salesman my card and walked away.

Man, talk about sleazy tactics <_<

But then again legally, if the car was never registered to an owner they can argue that the thing is a "new" truck. It's a grey area not unlike the whole "company demo" label :ph34r:

NefCanuck
focusracer,Oct 16 2007, 02:08 AM Wrote:Rmemeber, this was on a test drive, a $70,000 truck. Never insured, bought, nothing and it had about $12,000 in damage. After they got everything back together and repaired, they put the truck back on the lot for full price. 2 of us went down to the dealer and checked it out. There was our company sticker on the driveshaft. When we asked the sales guy why it had a different driveshaft than the others, he told us it was aftermarket heavy duty, at no extra expense. I handed the salesman my card and walked away.

Is there a particular reason why they brought it to you guys instead of replacing the parts in shop? I figured it would have been cheaper for them to do the work/parts themselves, no?
darkpuppet,Oct 16 2007, 09:02 AM Wrote:
focusracer,Oct 16 2007, 02:08 AM Wrote:Rmemeber, this was on a test drive, a $70,000 truck. Never insured, bought, nothing and it had about $12,000 in damage. After they got everything back together and repaired, they put the truck back on the lot for full price. 2 of us went down to the dealer and checked it out. There was our company sticker on the driveshaft. When we asked the sales guy why it had a different driveshaft than the others, he told us it was aftermarket heavy duty, at no extra expense. I handed the salesman my card and walked away.

Is there a particular reason why they brought it to you guys instead of replacing the parts in shop? I figured it would have been cheaper for them to do the work/parts themselves, no?
[right][snapback]251083[/snapback][/right]

The dealer may in fact find it cheaper to farm out work like this to smaller shops than to have someone on staff capable of it for the odd job that comes in. IIRC one of the members here experienced this when they went to a dealer for a tranny issue and the dealer didn't have a transmission person on staff. :unsure:

NefCanuck
The dealer didn't have the drive shaft in stock or the yokes, slip joint or ujoints. Their COST was $1800 for the shaft alone, we built it with a 50% markup for $900 something. Total for all the driveline parts from us was around $1600. "Dodge" parts were stupidly expensive. They use a Mercedes/Daimler tranny now which equals to being expensive replacement parts...