FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Lights Not Working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, leaving work tonight I noticed in the window reflection that my brake lights aren't working at all. Tail lights turn on, signals work properly, but nothing lights up when I step on the brake pedal.

Is there an easy answer for this? It's too dark to start looking tonight, but I don't want to be driving around with no brake lights. I've had a similar thing on an old chevette where there was a switch hooked up to the pedal, does the Focus use a similar device?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
guilty,Oct 9 2007, 01:43 AM Wrote:Hey guys, leaving work tonight I noticed in the window reflection that my brake lights aren't working at all.  Tail lights turn on, signals work properly, but nothing lights up when I step on the brake pedal.

Is there an easy answer for this?  It's too dark to start looking tonight, but I don't want to be driving around with no brake lights.  I've had a similar thing on an old chevette where there was a switch hooked up to the pedal, does the Focus use a similar device? 

Any insight would be much appreciated.
[right][snapback]250448[/snapback][/right]
1 of the filaments is broken are mostlikey broken in the Bulbs...
Hit CT grab a new bulb and check... Very easy fix if its that.
could be a few issues, these are the ones it could be, and to check for.

1. fuse under the dash might have blown
2. fuse under the hood might have blown
3. tail light bulbs (ie. one side of the filaments is gone) might have blown, but you would have noticed it with a high speed flashing of the turn signels, or or loss of light when braking.
4. the plunger under the brake might have come loose
5. broken wire in your wiring loom in your trunk area, would happen if you had missing tirm / custom wiring for aftermarket tail lights.
Frost__2001,Oct 9 2007, 07:59 AM Wrote:could be a few issues, these are the ones it could be, and to check for.

1. fuse under the dash might have blown
2. fuse under the hood might have blown
3. tail light bulbs (ie. one side of the filaments is gone) might have blown, but you would have noticed it with a high speed flashing of the turn signels, or or loss of light when braking.
4. the plunger under the brake might have come loose
5. broken wire in your wiring loom in your trunk area, would happen if you had missing tirm / custom wiring for aftermarket tail lights.
[right][snapback]250457[/snapback][/right]

Start checking these. when my brake lights went out the 1st time, it was because in the area where the wires are always folding (hatchback), the wires became exposed, and some were severed. I had to rewire all the wires.
If none of your brake lights are working (including the centre one) and both turn signals are working , then it is not the bulbs.

What Flo says below started me thinking that there might have been a recall for a wiring issue like that ... ringing a belll anyway.

Flofocus,Oct 9 2007, 08:33 AM Wrote:Start checking these.  when my brake lights went out the 1st time, it was because in the area where the wires are always folding (hatchback), the wires became exposed, and some were severed.  I had to rewire all the wires.
[right][snapback]250460[/snapback][/right]
As for the plunger under the brakes, when mine was messed up, I had people telling me my brakes wouldnt turn OFF. <_<

Yeah, Ive been threw it all with my focus. :ph34r: :lol:
Transport Canada Recall Number: 2000302; Units affected: 9,815

2000: On certain vehicles, the decklid wiring harness may fatigue and develop broken wires in the bend area of the wire harness in the grommet on the decklid. This may occur due to a rigid vinyl sleeve that is located at the bend point. Broken wires could result in either a loss of individual lamp functions, or in the case of a short that causes a fuse to open, in the loss of stop lamp or tail lamp function. Correction: Decklid wire harness will be replaced with a wire harness that has a longer, more flexible sleeve.

Flofocus,Oct 9 2007, 09:49 AM Wrote:As for the plunger under the brakes, when mine was messed up, I had people telling me my brakes wouldnt turn OFF. <_<

Yeah, Ive been threw it all with my focus.  :ph34r:  :lol:
[right][snapback]250476[/snapback][/right]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to go check all my fuses and wiring now..
I checked the pedal switch and the plunger was definitely not moving when the pedal went down. The car is at my uncle's shop right now getting the new suspension installed so he's going to look at picking up a new switch while he's at it.