FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Motorcycle Helmet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
anyone selling a bike helmet? preferbly yellow or black

or if u can point me out where i can get one.....i know they get expensive...i need something for $50 maybe or so
Spending $50 is a cheap ass way of saying my head is only worth $50 to protect it to me.

Don't be a cheap ass.

A used helmet may not protect you. Buy a new one and protect your melon.

There may not be alot in that melon, but you just spent more on that bike that can hurt you than your willing to spend on equipment that could save your life?

Give that head of yours a shake.
i know nothing about helmets but here ya go............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=200158634563
I paid 270$ for my ATV helmet.
It's a "closed face" so I can use it winters also.
The inside cheek foam can be removed for summertime.
It has built in sun shield which is kindaneat...
All this to say, don't cheap out by buying it off the net. Get it from a local bike/snowmobile shop... It may save your life one day!

[Image: 445860_90_ft_fl.jpg]
Okay, there are a couple of things you don't go cheap on......one is parts for your car, the other is safety equipment. As the Father of a young man who has an aquired brain injury, ( fractured skull with brain damage ), you don't wanna go cheap on a helmet.
There, us old men agree on something. :lol:
ok.....i guess im gonna be looking for a GOOD helmet with a cheap price :lol:

but seriosly its not like its gonna be my DD/....its a fun toy thats all

so far i found this deal:

helmet,jacket,pads all for $100

on photos everything looks in great condition and solid.....helemet is DOT approved
The DOT has been around for ever it could have been approved in 1989!... what's the snel rating? I bought my helmet new for less than 200... and it's track legal.
EDIT: i have strong opinions against riding with insufficient gear.. PM me if you want to chat about gear.. i won't highjack your thread

i purchased my helmet for around $200 as well. and right now it (HJC AC-12) is on closeout at for $119

http://www.newenough.com/browse/closeouts/helmets

it has a lot of nice features (removable lining, anti fog faceshield, composite material (not polycarbonate), good venting) and it HJC's top model (not sure if that is worth anything though. haha)

suomy, arai and shoei helmets are all very nice.. but they are $$$

also, if this is your first time getting a helmet i suggest going to a shop to get help. a proper helmet will feel tight the first time you wear it.. but there is a difference between tight 'good' and tight 'i'm going to get pressure spots after 30min' that you won't know until you have worn MC helmets for a while..

and don't get a used helmet.. the tightness in a helmet goes away and gets comfy because the liner molds to your face a little bit.. you won't get that level of fit with a used lid.. also.. the liner degrades after time (helmets should be replaced every 5yrs) and you could be buying something on the used market that won't protect you like it should in a crash
I agree with everything NAZ says below, including the part about buying a used helmet.

Having said that, I have an HJC CL-SP Osiris that I bought new and wore for two days during the BMW track days this summer at Mosport. I bought it because the SA2005 helmet I ordered did not arrive in time for the track event.

Do note that this is rated SNELL M2005 which is currently the highest rating for motorcycle helmets. It is size XL which fits me nicely - snug but comfortable. I can't remember how big your head is, but I think the HJC site has a size calculator. hjchelmets.com

I'm prepared to let it go for 80% of what I paid for it, which was $110 at the Cycle World close-out ... it was marked at $220 but the close out price was half off.

I also see that you can get this helmet in the states today for $119 plus shipping and landing costs.

So there you have it ... $88 bucks in the GTA with no tax or shipping. By the way, I am NOT a motivated buyer, I am making this offer to help out a fellow member ... I do not need $88, so for any lower offer I'd rather just hang on to it.

Over to you Nik. Cheers.

[Image: HJCCL-SPOsirisMC-2.jpg]

naz,Oct 8 2007, 08:01 PM Wrote:EDIT: i have strong opinions against riding with insufficient gear.. PM me if you want to chat about gear.. i won't highjack your thread

i purchased my helmet for around $200 as well.  and right now it (HJC AC-12) is on closeout at for $119

http://www.newenough.com/browse/closeouts/helmets

it has a lot of nice features (removable lining, anti fog faceshield, composite material (not polycarbonate), good venting) and it HJC's top model (not sure if that is worth anything though. haha)

suomy, arai and shoei helmets are all very nice.. but they are $$$

also, if this is your first time getting a helmet i suggest going to a shop to get help.  a proper helmet will feel tight the first time you wear it.. but there is a difference between tight 'good' and tight 'i'm going to get pressure spots after 30min' that you won't know until you have worn MC helmets for a while..

and don't get a used helmet.. the tightness in a helmet goes away and gets comfy because the liner molds to your face a little bit.. you won't get that level of fit with a used lid.. also.. the liner degrades after time (helmets should be replaced every 5yrs) and you could be buying something on the used market that won't protect you like it should in a crash
[right][snapback]250417[/snapback][/right]
btw.. what bike did you get dude!?!
NikiterZTS,Oct 8 2007, 06:58 PM Wrote:ok.....i guess im gonna be looking for a GOOD helmet with a cheap price  :lol:

but seriosly its not like its gonna be my DD/....its a fun toy thats all

so far i found this deal:

helmet,jacket,pads all for $100

on photos everything looks in great condition and solid.....helemet is DOT approved
[right][snapback]250409[/snapback][/right]
All it takes is one F&%^% up
naz,Oct 8 2007, 08:37 PM Wrote:btw.. what bike did you get dude!?!
[right][snapback]250430[/snapback][/right]

lol don't ask dude :lol:

i did make a thread about it

so here are the pics of the gear that i was telling u about for $100

ZTSsquared the helmet looks like yours

[Image: DSC02688.jpg]
[Image: DSC02689-1.jpg]
[Image: DSC02686.jpg]
[Image: DSC02685.jpg]
[Image: DSC02682.jpg]
[Image: DSC02681.jpg]
[Image: DSC02683-1.jpg]
It may look like it ... but there is a big difference between M95 and M2005.

M95 standards are now 12 years old and were replaced by M2000 and then M2005 standards.

I'm not saying that the helmet is NG, but it's not the same.

NikiterZTS,Oct 8 2007, 11:05 PM Wrote:ZTWsquared the helmet looks like yours
i think im gonna take a look at that one
M95 geez man. that's an old helmet. i used to have a M95 helmet and i threw it away because it was over 5yrs old. as i said in a previous post, the impact absorbing material in a helmet breaks down over time so that helmet is probably not going to protect you how it should in a crash
i did a search its either for a scooter or a pocket bike right?

EDIT: god its so hard for me not to make this a 'wear gear' post preaching about gear and safety etc. i am not changing any of my previous posts about gear or helmet even though this is 'just' a pocket bike

a cheap ass helmet will suffice its a 39cc 2 feet off ground pocket bike ,
HJC are good helmets for the price.

I have a 24 year old Simpson bucket, but I just keep it around for the memories.
naz,Oct 9 2007, 01:48 AM Wrote:i did a search its either for a scooter or a pocket bike right?

EDIT: god its so hard for me not to make this a 'wear gear' post preaching about gear and safety etc. i am not changing any of my previous posts about gear or helmet even though this is 'just' a pocket bike
[right][snapback]250449[/snapback][/right]

i mean yea its only for a pocket bike......shouldn't be enough?

if i was gonna get cbr700 or something....then i would do nothing but spend money on my safety.......
Why focus on the size of the bike's engine? Kids on bicycles are killed or seriously hurt due to head injury every day. It doesn't take much speed to develop the forces required to bust your head wide open.

I mean, why wear a helmet at all? If it's just because it's the rules or something, then go ahead and put on any old thing you can find.

But if you want us to support that kind of rationalization, forget it ... the only advice you will likely get here is to be smart about it and get the best protection possible.

No offense to anyone ... but if you truly think Nik should go cheap on head protection I'd think twice about actually putting it in writing.

NikiterZTS,Oct 9 2007, 09:53 AM Wrote:
naz,Oct 9 2007, 01:48 AM Wrote:i did a search its either for a scooter or a pocket bike right?

[right][snapback]250449[/snapback][/right]

i mean yea its only for a pocket bike......shouldn't be enough?

if i was gonna get cbr700 or something....then i would do nothing but spend money on my safety.......
[right][snapback]250478[/snapback][/right]
Pages: 1 2