FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Time To Check Or Change Brakes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my car is at 60K and lately my brakes squeal a bit (once in awhile....).

What is making the squeaky sound, the front brake discs/pads or the back brake drums?

When i get my brakes changed, how do i know if i need to change the front 2 (pads) or the drums at the back?

Where would you recommend? Midas touch?
drums last much longer then 60K. I usually change pads twice before i change the shoes in the back. So pads at 60K and 120K, shoes only at 120K i would say.

you can also look to see if the pads need to be changed. You can take the rims out and see if you have pads left on either side, dont forget you have to look at all 4 pads
squeaky sounds are not meant to be worn rotors/pads..humidity can cause this..

try to feel the back of rotors, if it is rough, it is time to change rotors.

if drums are worn, you will get annoying brake indicator(same light when you pull ebrake)

cornflakes,Oct 3 2007, 08:09 PM Wrote:So my car is at 60K and lately my brakes squeal a bit (once in awhile....).

What is making the squeaky sound, the front brake discs/pads or the back brake drums?

When i get my brakes changed, how do i know if i need to change the front 2 (pads) or the drums at the back?

Where would you recommend?  Midas touch?
[right][snapback]250145[/snapback][/right]

First of all I dont trust the midas touch. Its pervy.

And its probibly just the pads in the front. They maybe getting a little thin or hard even.
New pads + maybe machine the rotors. Or replace, depends on budget and condition of the rotor.
Rule of thumb, you'll go through two sets of fronts, pads, to one set of shoes. You can check to see if your shoes are worn by using your emergency brake on a hill, just stop on the hill, and before you either put it in park or first for a manual, put on the emergency brake. If the brake will hold the car from moving, then your shoes are okay.
Any place that does brakes is okay to do the job, maybe you could "bribe" someone here to help. I find that Midas will find 68 other things wrong on your car, and will try to get you to get them fixed too, "while it's up on the hoist" Canadian Tire too
but what about their service/products? Unlike all the horror stories i've heard about Cdn tire, I haven't heard about any reviews about Midas.

i have had the back brakes done by midas once and didn't have any issues
cornflakes,Oct 4 2007, 04:21 PM Wrote:but what about their service/products?  Unlike all the horror stories i've heard about Cdn tire, I haven't heard about any reviews about Midas.
[right][snapback]250206[/snapback][/right]
Midas did front brakes on my '88 5.0 That night I'm heading back from Buffalo and the brake light comes on. Brake fluid leaking from the banjo bolt into the caliper. Bolt was not tightened enough. Never had the Midas touch since.
Talk to many reputable independant mechanics and you'll hear similar horror stories.
the best way to check your brakes is do what mo said take the front wheels off and take a look. at 60k i'm pretty sure its not your drums..

if its your front brakes....and you wanna change them....buy new rotors(don't bother machine surfacing them as Mason said cuz it almost cost the same a new rotor) and new pads.....come over and i'll change them for ya.....free of charge just cuz im a nice guy :)

i just did mine 2 weeks ago or so....using some funky OEM rotors and manro pads ....got everything from canadian tire
then is it safest to just get it done at the ford dealership?
cornflakes,Oct 11 2007, 12:59 PM Wrote:then is it safest to just get it done at the ford dealership?
[right][snapback]250727[/snapback][/right]
Most expensive.......
dude, its gettin colder and colder and soon enough im gonna cancel my offer