FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: This Can't Be Good
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He guys,

I finally encountered my first problem in Windsor for the year, not to mention Thanksgiving weekend is approaching fast and I need to fix this bad boy to get home. Last night I was about 1km from home and I began to loose all my power steering and the pump was making one heck of a weird noise so I pulled in the driveway and shut her down.

When I first heard the sound I also felt a lack of steering. I made 5 more turns from that point before I was parked and the motor was shut off. Since this was last night and it was dark I checked the resevoir only and there was no fluid in it. Now obviously there is a leak somewhere and if its just a leak it wont be too bad to fix. Now my real concern is I do not know how much fluid is left in the system. So even if I "fix" this leak could the pump or steering gear be damaged? I just need some imput on what to do :(
First thing I would suggest is filling the resevior back up to the recommended level and then putting newspaper under the car to help isolate the cause of the leak.

Check too when its full up on fluid with teh help of someone else whether you can in fact cause the power steering fluid to be forced out by turning the wheel (Put the front end on jackstands for this)

That's all I can think of ATM.

NefCanuck
My wifes car had that problem . I put a stop leak product from parts source and so far so good. Give it atry.
if you absolutly must get home this weekend, and find out you do have a problem with the PS pump ... you could always just bypass the pump, so you won't have any power steering

just run a line from the one end of the rack, to the other end, and just make sure you add alittle fluid into the rack before attaching the lines, then atleast that would get you home

.... but like canadian ST suggested .. the BARS stop leak, can work wonders. Just follow the directions on the bottle
did you do svt exhaust conversion??
if so, check if steering line is touching exhaust..

if not, check ps hose if there is any holes or leaks..
Ok so heres the verdict, I took my drivers side tire off and it appears to be leaking right at the tie rod end boot. I'm going to check to see if Ford has any tomorrow, but at least its only the boot thats leaking...... im just hopin nothing else is fubared.
Burnin21,Oct 2 2007, 08:51 PM Wrote:Ok so heres the verdict, I took my drivers side tire off and it appears to be leaking right at the tie rod end boot. I'm going to check to see if Ford has any tomorrow, but at least its only the boot thats leaking...... im just hopin nothing else is fubared.
[right][snapback]250089[/snapback][/right]
If the boot is leaking it would seem to me that the seal behind the boot would also be shot. Boots keep dust out. Seals keep fluid in.

You might be looking at having to get the rack rebuilt. :(
Well there is a shop nearby that has a rack (rebuilt) for $60 so I might look into that, the only pain in the ass is Its gonna take a few hours to yank the old rack out and put the new one in. Not to mention I gotta drop my entire subframe in the driveway................ This will be fun lol.
Burnin21,Oct 3 2007, 11:30 AM Wrote:Well there is a shop nearby that has a rack (rebuilt) for $60 so I might look into that, the only pain in the ass is Its gonna take a few hours to yank the old rack out and put the new one in. Not to mention I gotta drop my entire subframe in the driveway................ This will be fun lol.
[right][snapback]250117[/snapback][/right]

ill bring the tools!!!!

man, you really need to stop breaking your car here in windsor!!!
some advice? bring all your tools back after thanksgiving!! lol jk man, let me know what you need!!!
i should be by sometime between 7 and 9
Once again Lucas you bail me out :lol:
Funny I see this... I'm having the exact same problem... my focus has been in the driveway for the last 5 days... haven't took it to the shop yet to see what the problem was.... but it is the exact same symptoms...

This is my first problem with the car that I didn't cause !!
Any update ? I'm bringing mine in to get checked tomorrow....
it was still leaking after he changed the rack, as far as i know the car is still sitting imobile in his driveway
sounds like the same Issue I've had with my car for the last 2 years, I put stop leak in about twice a year, and forget about it till I hear the wine.