FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help :s
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so i dont even know how to explain this ...i was driving home from the drive in, on the highway going about 100 when it just feels like i lose all power.sort of like sombody has there hand blocking my throttle body. The the power would suddenly come back. now after reading some common problems on other sites i think it could be the Dpfe Sensor ...any thoughts ...MAF maybe?

this sucks i just finished getting the clutch master cylinder changed and now this problem....

its a 03 ZX3 Zetec
97 000 kms
No CEL

also the pcv valve is there a huge difference once this gets changed? what else should i be looking at getting changed?

thanks for reading i'm starting a new job in a week and this has to get fixed

*edit : i put a K&N oil filter on it about a month and half 2 months ago could the maf be oiled up ? where can i pick up electric cleaner for it CT?
Given the way most K+Ns show up in the box, I'd be hard-pressed to think the factory oiling job would be overdone. It's possible but unlikely from my experience.

You're pretty low mileage, really, so I'd say likely a dirty MAF or indeed the DPFE. Otherwise, I'll let the Zetec guys weigh in.

Also, try running it without a filter briefly. I assume you have the K+N on the outboard side of the MAF housing? Inspect the MAF for visible oil/dirt/debris.
Fuel Filter?
Does it happen at all RPM, or just a range?

When was the last time you changed plugs & wires?
check all your plumbing. Sounds a lot like when I blow my IC piping off from the boost.

Or...

Check the wires going to your coil pack. if those are brittle or if you can see the actual copper wire, go buy the pig tail kit from ford and replace it.
well i just cleaned the MAF ..it sorta helped but we will see ...
the weird thing is it dosent do it all the time ...
now i'm told the fuel pump tends to go out on the focus could it be that ...and dose fuel level play any factor on how a fuel pump works ..maybe it was just in my head but once i go under the 1/4 tank mark it seems to do it ...

up next is the fuel filter and maybe pcv valve ( if i can even find it , i;ve read the write ups and i still cant seem to find it. i gotta get under the car agian and seriously look... maybe from under it will be a better view)

also...
what dose ford charge for the DPFE sensor?
_JC_,Oct 1 2007, 12:45 PM Wrote:well i just cleaned the MAF ..it sorta helped but we will see ...
the weird thing is it dosent do it all the time ...
now i'm told the fuel pump tends to go out on the focus  could it be that ...and dose fuel level play any factor on how a fuel pump works ..maybe it was just in my head but once i go under the 1/4 tank mark it seems to do it ...

up next is the fuel filter and maybe pcv valve ( if i can even find it , i;ve read the write ups and i still cant seem to find it. i gotta get under the car agian and seriously look... maybe from under it will be a better view)

also...
what dose ford charge for the DPFE sensor?
[right][snapback]249962[/snapback][/right]

i asked mechanic at ford once how much for DPFE....and he said around $200.....but you better re-check that
did you check the wires going to the coil pack?
Flofocus,Oct 1 2007, 06:30 PM Wrote:did you check the wires going to the coil pack?
[right][snapback]249967[/snapback][/right]

yupp they seem fine ...
just called the dealership $161.96 for just the part (DPFE) ...i dont know if i wanna change it. it might not be the problem ...

i wish the check engine light would just go on it would make it way easier

and dose a fuel filter perform differently when there in different amunts of fuel in the tank ....will a bad fuel pump work alright with a full tank but once it gets to about 1/4 start craping out ?

i'm lost for ideas now and the last thing i wanna end up is stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to pay for towing
i'd try the DPFE that is a part that's known to fail.. so i'd look at that before the other stuff
so i dont know how it passed my eye i guess i looked at it halfed assed

is the wireing to the coil pack !!! i poped my hood today to look and once agian it seemed fine so i moved the wires around and the engine stals i get closer and wamo there it is GREEN WIRE

thanks Focus canada you saved my asss

and i just got a job finally its a rather exciting day i must say !

now off to the dealer ship for that part
_JC_,Oct 5 2007, 04:47 PM Wrote:so i dont know how it passed my eye i guess i looked at it halfed assed
is the wireing to the coil pack !!! i poped my hood today to look and once agian it seemed fine so i moved the wires around and the engine stals i get closer and now off to the dealer ship for that part
[right][snapback]250267[/snapback][/right]

Huh what? You lost me?
:postpics:
Told ya :P

here is my post about it in The Basics...

I took down the pics but part #'s and cost are all there. I've also pinned the topic.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...57&hl=coil+pack

Red Circle where the problem is

[Image: wireloc.jpg]

Close up of brittle wires.

[Image: DSCF1693.jpg]