FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Modified Vehicle Insurance Debate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, I just got this letter from State Farm about your vehicle being modified and not covered. What do you guys think?

[Image: 11375State_Farm.JPG]
this is starting to get annoying...they trying to kill the whole tunning scean
move to Saskatchewan
'extra wide treaded tires designed and normally used for racing' is a basis for not having coverage?

wow that's crazy. so that means my WRX that is stock everything (even the wheels are stock) except for 225/50/16 kumho mx tires instead of the stock 205/55/16 all season tires would not have insurance coverage in ontario? wow.

does that mean no one will insure a m5, 911 turbo, z06 vette? all of those have 'extra wide treaded tires designed and normally used for racing' and they are all basically ' equipment designed for unusual performance'

i can't believe no one has taken insurance co's to court yet over this
Driving on the street in racing tires isn't a good practice anyway ... so as long as the tires you buy are designed and sold as street tires you shouldn't have any problems.

Remember the term here is "modification" - if the Z06 or 911 is stock, by definition it wouldn't be affected.

No one will take them to court until such time as they start denying large numbers of claims on the basis of modifications - and who's to say anyway that this hasn't already happened somewhere.

In any event it shouldn't affect current State Farm customers unless their policy already includes the appropriate clauses and exclusions ... otherwise if you've got mods avoid signing with them.

Anyone in Manitoba or Sask got a spare room to rent?

naz,Sep 30 2007, 04:52 AM Wrote:'extra wide treaded tires designed and normally used for racing' is a basis for not having coverage?

wow that's crazy.  so that means my WRX that is stock everything (even the wheels are stock) except for 225/50/16 kumho mx tires instead of the stock 205/55/16 all season tires would not have insurance coverage in ontario?  wow.

does that mean no one will insure a m5, 911 turbo, z06 vette? all of those have 'extra wide treaded tires designed and normally used for racing' and they are all basically ' equipment designed for unusual performance'

i can't believe no one has taken insurance co's to court yet over this
[right][snapback]249866[/snapback][/right]
when I got my Yellow Focus, they more or less droped me right after getting my car fixed by Ford, as Ford replaced the whole front end including my Xenon lip on the front bumper.
I had my Cavalier heavily modded, (both visual and engine, port and polish ect) I took it up iwth my agent they had me get the car saftied then they had no problem with it, Ive been with State Farm for years its the unsafe stuff they are worried about, when my cavalier got written off they paid for all of it, just be honest, they will tell you how to stay covered.

david

Heres my cavy

[Image: SideCavy1.jpg]

[Image: NewHdlghts.jpg]
Just don't inform your insurance company about modifications to the car. If you write it off, you take the loss in your aftermarket investment, and that's the catch you gotta live with. I didn't divulge any of the mods to my Foci, and I also won't about the Stang either...
Thats a great way to not just lose the mods but your coverage, If I hadnt informed them of the mods before hand, they would have not covered the car when it was written off. Even my mods were covered at the price I paid, full replacement, why because I was honest, and you may think you will never get into an accident, but when a 50' yellow school bus runs a red light and puts your passenger seat behind the drivers seat, youll be glad you do not have to fight with your insurance company. Just my thoughts
David
Some insurance companies might be a little tight when it comes to modifications. The insurance company I'm with will only cover up to the first $2000 dollars worth. Anything after that goes out the window.
NoiSeeVT,Sep 30 2007, 07:20 PM Wrote:Thats a great way to not just lose the mods but your coverage, If I hadnt informed them of the mods before hand, they would have not covered the car when it was written off.  Even my mods were covered at the price I paid, full replacement, why because I was honest, and you may think you will never get into an accident, but when a 50' yellow school bus runs a red light and puts your passenger seat behind the drivers seat, youll be glad you do not have to fight with your insurance company.  Just my thoughts
David
[right][snapback]249892[/snapback][/right]

Out of the 2 accidents ive been in (one written off car, both neither my fault BTW) I had to fight with my insurance to get what I deemed fair (on compeletely stock cars). both times I had to threaten that lawyers would get involved, I even had to bring my father in to show I wasnt some young punk joking around.

I dont tell my insurance company anything, I signed up, was honest with them with the questions they asked, and thats all they need to know. I pay a lot of money for insurance, and when the time comes, that money I paid to be protected, better protect me. If not, I have absolutely no problem getting lawyers involved....

think about it...

I was paying over 4k a year from 16-20 years old. Went down at 21 to 2500, that lasted till 25, went down again at 25....

Thats a s*** load of cash I've 'invested' in my protection.

I hate insruance companies.
I just went through all this with my insurance comapny when they wrote off my car last month ... I have NEVER declared a single mod to my insurance company, and never plan to in the future ... they only end up paying you based on what other "similar" models are going for .. i lucked out, and got almost 8k for my 02 zx3, and got a week to take anything i wanted off my car

The insurance company sent an appraiser to come look at my car and i thought forsure i'd get dropped for having a modded car without them knowing, maybe i'm just a lucky one

in the end, don't tell them s*** about mod's you've done .. its more of a hastle, and well cost you much more in the end vs. telling them you're just riding around in a stock vehicle

i'm with you flo .. screw insurance companies
ZTWsquared,Sep 30 2007, 01:18 PM Wrote:Driving on the street in racing tires isn't a good practice anyway ... so as long as the tires you buy are designed and sold as street tires you shouldn't have any problems.
[right][snapback]249875[/snapback][/right]

so if a DOT approved tire is marketed using phrases like

"200AA UTQG qualifies for SCCA Street Tire Class competition."

"Improved motorsports grade cap compound maintains grip over a wide range of operating temperatures."

is that 'racing' tire and therefore a reason to deny coverage?
Most insurance companies will decline people with modded vehicles, or if they DO accept them, they need documented proof of everything, receipts, photo's, etc (this just when you declare your mods, not after an accident). They also rape you badly over your premiums. Insuring a modded car is just like trying to recoup money invested in mods when selling the vehicle. You're gonna get next to squat for them...
It's something I actually thought very long and hard about over the last year or so, ever since we got the new Focus. There were times I was ready to go ahead and order the FS boost kit (and recently, too) but the concern over insurance literally stopped me.

It is most decidedly a biased system wherein you cannot perform the mods yourself / via a garage but you can indeed order a car pre-modded from the dealer (ex. the new Roush offerings for the 2005+ Stangs) and you'll be covered with no problems. And we're talking the same parts here!
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 2 2007, 07:35 AM Wrote:It is most decidedly a biased system wherein you cannot perform the mods yourself / via a garage but you can indeed order a car pre-modded from the dealer (ex. the new Roush offerings for the 2005+ Stangs) and you'll be covered with no problems. And we're talking the same parts here!
[right][snapback]250028[/snapback][/right]

I dunno NOS, have you ever tried getting a quote on a Roush 'Stang? :huh:

I'd be guessing that as long as the insurance company brain trust has two brain cells to rub together that they would know the details of that puppy and wwould jack your premiums through the roof vis a vis a more pedestrian 'Stang such as the GT (as if the GT is pedestrian, but you get my point)

No, I'm sure that you'll take the hit, if they even decide to insure a beast like a Roush 'Stang in the first place....

NefCanuck
I've gotten quotes on a few cars lately as I explored some options... some of my quotes eclipsed the Roush Stang :) Seriously... and they were reasonable.

Plus, I know where I can get one too! :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 2 2007, 10:50 AM Wrote:I've gotten quotes on a few cars lately as I explored some options... some of my quotes eclipsed the Roush Stang :) Seriously... and they were reasonable.

Plus, I know where I can get one too! :lol:
[right][snapback]250043[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I'd love to know what kind of cars your getting quotes for that eclipse a Roush 'Stang yet are still reasonable.

I mean I know you live in an area where the biggest danger is moose and not other drivers but geez :blink:

Oddly enough though I did a quote on a 'Stang and it comes in cheaper than the Focus... though I still have my heart set on an MXZ for the "I made it" car ;)

NefCanuck
My 2005 GT costs me $140 per month, all-in (comprehensive, collison, and a rider on the stereo system for upto $2500, if I wanted to go that crazy with it eventually). I'm waiting to see what my premium will go down by when I turn 30 next year, as I'll have had it for more than one Fiscal Insurance year. In all honesty, with the type of car it is, the number of speeding tickets ( 4pointers/$350 ones too) and my offroad excursion avoiding a deer in the rain, I'm actually paying a VERY reasonable amount I think.

My Insurance company, or rather my Insurance broker, said that I can make changes like different rims, different tires, brakes, etc...provided they meet or exceed OEM specs. Difference is, a lot of the stuff I've bought has been OEM anyways (which I'm going to do with suspension and brakes on this car).

Some of the cars like the Roush or Saleen or Shelby's are very nice indeed, but I refuse to grab my ankles so to speak over the price of one. You can buy and build a stock GT into however you want, for less money than those pre-fab cars.

L8tz
marketing does not a racing tire make - forget marketing - go with what's on the tire.

naz,Oct 1 2007, 07:43 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Sep 30 2007, 01:18 PM Wrote:Driving on the street in racing tires isn't a good practice anyway ... so as long as the tires you buy are designed and sold as street tires you shouldn't have any problems.
[right][snapback]249875[/snapback][/right]

so if a DOT approved tire is marketed using phrases like

"200AA UTQG qualifies for SCCA Street Tire Class competition."

"Improved motorsports grade cap compound maintains grip over a wide range of operating temperatures."

is that 'racing' tire and therefore a reason to deny coverage?
[right][snapback]249997[/snapback][/right]
Pages: 1 2