FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oil Pan Removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone else has had to replace their oil pan and if it is an easy repair for a back yard mechanic.
Welcome ... haven't heard of anyone recently who had to replace oil pan - me, never - at least not on a Focus ... you'll want to raise the car (safely) - level preferably, but if not be prepared for some residual oil leakage ... you should have no trouble even with simple hand tools ... make sure you're prepared to deal with removing and disposing of the old oil and make sure you have a replacement gasket and oil on hand.

When asking for assistance with a repair it's usually a lot better if you mention the year, make and model of your car - although in this case it probably doesn't matter.

cheers

ponyboy2e,Sep 29 2007, 10:34 PM Wrote:Just wondering if anyone else has had to replace their oil pan and if it is an easy repair for a back yard mechanic.
[right][snapback]249846[/snapback][/right]
if you've done an oil change before you should be fine taking off the oil pan gasket. after all the oil is out just go to town with a socket and wrench and take all of the bolts off the oil pan.

when replacing the pan don't overtorque the bolts or you will pinch the gasket and it could result in a leak (that happened to me)

good luck
Gasket?

I know on the zetec there is no gasket, you just use silicone. Maybe on the spi theres a gasket.... But yeah just pop the bolts off, you will need something thin to tap in around the sides to break the seal. don't pry with a screwdriver. Just use like a scraper and slide it in around the sides and it should pop off easily.

Once your done scrape the silicone off the bottom of the engine skirt, and off the pan, then to re-apply put a bead of silicone around the top of the new oilpan. And yeah don't over torque the bolts, remember your threading into a thin piece of aluminum, which can strip easily.
hardk0re,Sep 30 2007, 08:32 AM Wrote:Gasket?

I know on the zetec there is no gasket, you just use silicone.  Maybe on the spi theres a gasket.... But yeah just pop the bolts off, you will need something thin to tap in around the sides to break the seal.  don't pry with a screwdriver.  Just use like a scraper and slide it in around the sides and it should pop off easily.

Once your done scrape the silicone off the bottom of the engine skirt, and off the pan, then to re-apply put a bead of silicone around the top of the new oilpan.  And yeah don't over torque the bolts, remember your threading into a thin piece of aluminum, which can strip easily.
[right][snapback]249870[/snapback][/right]

Couldnt have said it better myself.
my bad guys i did this removal on an integra not a focus. i should have stated my experiences as such