FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Traffic Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As of October 1st, 2007, in Ontario if you are caught doing 50 kms/hr over the posted speed limit, the Police can and probably will, take your car away.
oldeguy,Sep 28 2007, 06:58 PM Wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

As of October 1st, 2007, in Ontario if you are caught doing 50 kms/hr over the posted speed limit, the Police can and probably will, take your car away.
[right][snapback]249791[/snapback][/right]
So the solution to that problem... Don't Get Caught.
Phantom,Sep 28 2007, 09:59 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Sep 28 2007, 06:58 PM Wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

[right][snapback]249791[/snapback][/right]
So the solution to that problem... [B]Speed but Don't Get Caught.
[right][snapback]249801[/snapback][/right]
Doing 150km/h on a 400 series highway is insanity anyways.

Even if the road is clear enough ahead, conditions can and do fluctuate rapidly enough that its a reckless thing to do.

Doing 50 over on any other type of road? C'mere so I can whack you over the head with my cane for being a brain dead MORON!

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Sep 28 2007, 11:16 PM Wrote:Doing 150km/h on a 400 series highway is insanity anyways.

Even if the road is clear enough ahead, conditions can and do fluctuate rapidly enough that its a reckless thing to do.

Doing 50 over on any other type of road? C'mere so I can whack you over the head with my cane for being a brain dead MORON!

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]249804[/snapback][/right]
Agreed
I can't wait until all of our insuance goes down in price from the safer roads. :rolleyes:

I don't see why anyone really NEEDS to go over 150kmh; but at the same time I'd sure love to see them start to crack down on other bad drivers and institute a "minimum speed" especially for the passing lane.

I know that the majority of my own personal speeding is to get around some asshat that's planted themselves in the "passing lane" doing 99 with nobody in front of them for 2 miles. :angry:
OAC_Sparky,Sep 29 2007, 10:02 AM Wrote:I can't wait until all of our insuance goes down in price from the safer roads.  :rolleyes:

I don't see why anyone really NEEDS to go over 150kmh; but at the same time I'd sure love to see them start to crack down on other bad drivers and institute a "minimum speed" especially for the passing lane.

I know that the majority of my own personal speeding is to get around some asshat that's planted themselves in the "passing lane" doing 99 with nobody in front of them for 2 miles. :angry:
[right][snapback]249811[/snapback][/right]
I've gone 150...... a couple of times, usually to find a spot in the right hand lane of the 401, out east of Cobourg, so I could get out of the way of "gentlemen" going 160 or so :rolleyes:

My fear is that this law will give police the opportunity to focus on young drivers.
You won't hear about the 40 someting mother of 2 driving her mini-van doing 150 because the cop will most likely let her off.
But the 24 year old driving his two door whatever will have his balls nailed to the wall and lose his car.
Alec Brandon,Sep 29 2007, 11:11 AM Wrote:My fear is that this law will give police the opportunity to focus on young drivers.
You won't hear about the 40 someting mother of 2 driving her mini-van doing 150 because the cop will most likely let her off.
But the 24 year old driving his two door whatever will have his balls nailed to the wall and lose his car.
[right][snapback]249813[/snapback][/right]
According to the Toronto Star, it doesn't matter whether your 20 or 50, in an intrview with Cam Wooley, a spokeman for the OPP, ALL drivers will be targeted.
oldeguy,Sep 29 2007, 03:28 PM Wrote:
Alec Brandon,Sep 29 2007, 11:11 AM Wrote:My fear is that this law will give police the opportunity to focus on young drivers.
According to the Toronto Star, it doesn't matter whether your 20 or 50, in an intrview with Cam Wooley, a spokeman for the OPP, ALL drivers will be targeted.
[right][snapback]249814[/snapback][/right]

all drivers will be targeted is right, but once the mother with two kids gets pulled over i can guarentee you that her car isn't getting impounded....but if they caught me doing donuts in a parking lot (now "stunt driving") i can guarentee you that i will get my car impounded and get at least the minimum $2000 ticket.......it makes more sense to run from the cops now
My boss (about 50) got caught on the 407 doing 170km/h. He wasn't let off. In fact he got a ticket for exactly 70km over the limit. Lucky for him that it was about a month ago and not after Oct 1st.
They had been talking about setting it at 140 so I've been cruising at 137 for the past couple weeks. Looks like I can raise it to a safe 147 as many vehicles are passing me on the 403.
How about taking the license away of those that go in and out of the HOV lanes whenever they please, or anyone that talks on a cellphone doing 75 in the 'passing' lane anywhere anytime?
Does anyone actually see any OPP out there enforcing any laws we have at the present time? NOT ME!
dBlast,Sep 29 2007, 12:57 PM Wrote:My boss (about 50) got caught on the 407 doing 170km/h.  He wasn't let off.  In fact he got a ticket for exactly 70km over the limit.  Lucky for him that it was about a month ago and not after Oct 1st.
[right][snapback]249820[/snapback][/right]
theres actually no charge for 70 over. Thats what the officer said to me anyways, charged me with careless instead.
brucktown,Sep 29 2007, 11:56 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Sep 29 2007, 03:28 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]249814[/snapback][/right]

all drivers will be targeted is right, but once the mother with two kids gets pulled over i can guarentee you that her car isn't getting impounded....but if they caught me doing donuts in a parking lot (now "stunt driving") i can guarentee you that i will get my car impounded and get at least the minimum $2000 ticket.......it makes more sense to run from the cops now
[right][snapback]249819[/snapback][/right]

true....i wouldn't even stop.....keep driving even faster away from them! make it a hor pursuit.....shooting guns out of the windows and shi-et :lol:
one thing no one mentioned about this new law is, if your cought going over 50 kms over the posted limit, the police will take your drivers license away for a automatic 7 day suspention. and your car will be impounded for that 7 days.

Linky to Media Report.
Again, I fail to see the problem, if only because doing 50km/h over is not an "Oopsie" move unless you're saying that you're so inattentive that you shouldn't have a drivers license IMO...

NefCanuck
I see this law as stupid. But here in Saskatchewan the roads are alot less busy than in Ontario. And I've done more than 150, to pass s*** on the highway. I hate semi's always chucking rocks and chipping my paint. Honestly it's cheaper to pay the speeding ticket, than it is sometimes to repaint your hood, or replace a chipped windshield.
no matter what car or bike you are using it takes foot to floor dedication to get up to 150kph i totally don't see how this affects anyone

on a racetrack with lots of runoff and EMT standing by on the scene i get a bit nervous when i see the speedo going past 150kph i can't imagine doing that speed on any sort of public road.. even 100kph in a 50kph zone is ridiculous..

IMHO serves you right if you get your car impounded for going that fast on a public road...
naz,Sep 29 2007, 10:06 PM Wrote:no matter what car or bike you are using it takes foot to floor dedication to get up to 150kph  i totally don't see how this affects anyone

on a racetrack with lots of runoff and EMT standing by on the scene i get a bit nervous when i see the speedo going past 150kph i can't imagine doing that speed on any sort of public road.. even 100kph in a 50kph zone is ridiculous..

IMHO serves you right if you get your car impounded for going that fast on a public road...
[right][snapback]249844[/snapback][/right]

I take it then you missed the article in the news on the 2nd day the kids went back to school in this area, someone was nailed for going 126 kms p/h in a school zone around 3 pm.
naz,Sep 29 2007, 09:06 PM Wrote:no matter what car or bike you are using it takes foot to floor dedication to get up to 150kph  i totally don't see how this affects anyone
3rd gear on the bike is 150 and still 3 to go. And 150 in a smooth running V8 is less than 3000rpm with the foot nowhere near the floor.

I honestly can say I've never had time to look at the speedo while on a track. Much too busy watching and listening to other things.

As for around town I think 20 over should result in losing everything.
Pages: 1 2 3 4