FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Synthetic Oil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
our Ford manual tells us we should use 5w-20 grade oil.

Well I can't seem to find Mobil 1 5w-20 anywhere...ie. Cdn tire
only has 5w-30 (mobil 1). Anyone know where I can buy
mobil 1 5w-20?

If i buy 5w-30, is that going to be a problem or affect the engine/performance?
cornflakes,Sep 27 2007, 09:37 AM Wrote:our Ford manual tells us we should use 5w-20 grade oil.

Well I can't seem to find Mobil 1 5w-20 anywhere...ie. Cdn tire
only has 5w-30 (mobil 1).    Anyone know where I can buy
mobil 1 5w-20?

If i buy 5w-30, is that going to be a problem or affect the engine/performance?
[right][snapback]249642[/snapback][/right]

I got Mobil-1 5W-20 at Walmart (Mississauga).
That's where I'm going for mine tonight.
you can use 5w-30 no problem..
5W30 is still pretty good.......i know a persone who uses 5W50 in the focus
What year is your Focus? Because AFAIK anything 05 MY & up and the manual says it has to be 5w-20 semi-synth at least. :blink:

NefCanuck
I blatantly refuse to use anything that isn't specified by Ford or the manual itself. I've got Motorcraft 5W-20 synth in there right now and Mobil 1 synth is going in tomorrow.
i've got the cheapest oil possible in there, got it from costco, Shell 5W30. Got 12L's for $20.00 on sale.

i used to put synth Mobil 1 all the time until i started hearing knocking in the engine with the old focus. SO for this one i'm just sticking with regular oil, but changing it every 5000kms.

plus who cares what you put in there, if you kill the engine just go and buy a new one for 350.00 :) i might not even change the oil, until it needs a new one. I think it might be cheaper in the long run :D
i'd go with the factory fill oil that ford sells for the car. it is pretty cheap for semi synth stuff

IMHO you could never really go wrong with factory anything.. the manuf spends a ton of $$ to R&D that stuff specifically for the application so it should be good to go.

i personally purchase 20L drums of gear oil @ $144/drum just to keep my trans and diffs filled with the OE stuff so i def put my money where my advice goes re oil

i wouldn't bother with synth unless the owner's manual specifically calls for it
I used Ford Motorcraft 5w20 100% Synthetic in the Focus year round, and I'm using that in the Stang now too. Myself and other customers at the Ford dealer in Pembroke have asked for it often enough now, that they keep it in stock all the time...hehehe

I'd use the Factory Ford 100% Syn, and change it ever 3500km's....haven't had a problem with either of my engines with this oil....
you'd change synthetic oil every 3500 kms????

isn't synthetic supposed to be good for at least 10,000kms or more between changes?

I change every 5000k using regular motor oil (as recommended in our factory handbook).
cornflakes,Sep 28 2007, 12:44 AM Wrote:you'd change synthetic oil every 3500 kms????

isn't synthetic supposed to be good for at least 10,000kms or more between changes?

I change every 5000k using regular motor oil (as recommended in our factory handbook).
[right][snapback]249697[/snapback][/right]

keep in mind that there is a 'regular' service interval and a 'severe' service interval (shorter) and most of us do stop and go driving, which falls under the 'serve' interval

personally, i would only extend an oil change (whether synth or conventional) after an oil analysis that showed the oil was suitable (physical properties ok, enough additives left) for an extended interval

using the factory fill oil and changing it using the severe service interval and you are good to go.. no more thought required dude!
i do my synthetic oil changes every 5000km

right now im on 5W20 Royal Purple (thanks hardcore)
ive been back and forth between royal purple 5w30/mobil 1 5w30

still 5000km though
What are you guys paying for the synthetic? The guy at the Ford counter told me it was 3 times the price as the regular oil. That seemed like an awful lot.
I've read the info on the Royal Purple website and I'm still undecided about using it ... so who can tell me:

If Royal Purple significantly reduces friction, how can it "micro polish" the bearings - doesn't polishing require friction?

If Ford specifies a regular oil for Focus and then specifies certain change intervals for that oil ... and one of the benefits claimed for synthetics is extended performance (Royal Purple claims 12,000 miles - ie: 19,300 km) - why wouldn't you extend the change interval if using synthetic?

Also: where do you buy your Royal Purple and how much?

NikiterZTS,Sep 27 2007, 11:00 PM Wrote:i do my synthetic oil changes every 5000km

right now im on 5W20 Royal Purple (thanks hardcore)
[right][snapback]249708[/snapback][/right]
i've used almost every brand i can found..
-royal purple
-lubro moly
-mobil 1
-pennzoil
-valvoline
-redline

and currently using castrol..( i m switching btw valvoline and castrol, because wrc sponsor..lol)

to tell you the truth, you wont' feel any difference..synthetic last longer than regular for sure but still..i didn't feel any difference..
or you may feel some smoothness through rpm but this could be placebo efffect..or that is what synthetic is..

while i was on synthetic for first time, i changed every 5000km and oil came out fresh..so i change it after 10000 miles from now on..
konafocuswrc,Sep 30 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:i've used almost every brand i can found..
-royal purple
-lubro moly
-mobil 1
-pennzoil
-valvoline
-redline

and currently using castrol..( i m switching btw valvoline and castrol, because wrc sponsor..lol)

to tell you the truth, you wont' feel any difference..synthetic last longer than regular for sure but still..i didn't feel any difference..
or you may feel some smoothness through rpm but this could be placebo efffect..or that is what synthetic is..

while i was on synthetic for first time, i changed every 5000km and oil came out fresh..so i change it after 10000 miles from now on..
[right][snapback]249881[/snapback][/right]

same here...didn't feel any difference what's so ever.......

i think im gonna do my changes every 6000k wth synthetic oil now
My Oil changes at the dealer cost me over $100 each time. I'm going to have them do it until it's out of powertrain warranty. That sounds expensive, but the oil itself costs around $10 per litre, and my car needs 6 or so of them...

I've been trying to find out if there is anywhere in Ottawa that sells Royal Purple, and I'll start using that when I do the oil changes myself...

L8tz
I went 9000KMs in the 07 on the Motorcraft synth and I'll do the same for the Mobil 1 stuff.

The Focus takes less than 5L and 5L is 32 bucks at WalMart of all places. CT, on the other hand, doesn't stock 5W20... just 5W30.
Pages: 1 2