FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rust Proofing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All - thought this the best place to ask...should I or shouldn't I do the rustproofing on my new 07 ZX5 GFX? I've only had it a month and a half and want to make a decision before the snow comes (if we get any)..
So how are the focuses with rust - recommendations please?
I would.

After the Focus, I vowed I would rust proof all my cars from now on. I know a bunch of us have had rust issues won the hatch, door jams and under the skins of the lower doors. Especially the rear doors on 4-door models.

If you're leasing. forget it.

It all depends on how long you want the car.
Do it, I'll be doing mine this fall.

If you get it done within one year / 20,000KMs, it's warrantied for life with periodic touchups.
Has anyone done the electronic rustproofing that Canadian Tire is selling?
do it....i do it every year.......

they recommend to do it before the winter and after
I bought the car not leased and i intend on keeping it for my daughter who will be driving in about 5 years...
So do it every year? It's not a one time thing??
And better off doing it at the dealer? Or where is good? (Burlington....)
thanks for the feedback BTW..
I got it from Ford dealer ,

Tricare Rust module
Acid rain selant

Every year you need to take the car in to an authorized tricare dealer aka ford to get the acid rain protector inspected to see if its still good! They say it will last about 3 years then needs to be redone . with this package which I highly reccomend you dont have to worry about rust as long as you do the sealer when needed whether that be when inspected or 3 years the car is warrantied against rust for as long as your name is the owner on the title .

I got a deal on mine since my bro in law is finance manager but I think reg price is like $599 might have went down since then though but its worth every penny !
ps I think nikiter means underbody and spray etc ... were talking rust module and aicd ain protectant sealer .
I had my Focus done by Rust Check two years ago and skipped last year. I'm paying for it now... :( I'll be doing it yearly from now on.

I always had my cars Krown-ed before, but now my local mechanic is a Rust Check dealer, which is all the same stuff. Beware of Wal-Mart and small shops that advertise undercoating for cheap. Usually don't do the same level of work, same coverage, the proper areas, etc. We had Wal-Mart do my old Mustang for years, then pull the interior apart to find they had never applied the coating to the inner rear quarter panels, even though the holes had been drilled and plugged. :(

Do it right, do it often! :D (rust proofing that is!)

Ryan
skipper,Sep 25 2007, 12:09 PM Wrote:I bought the car not leased and i intend on keeping it for my daughter who will be driving in about 5 years...
So do it every year?  It's not a one time thing??
[right][snapback]249468[/snapback][/right]
I had my truck rustproofed religously for the past 9 years. Rust issue came up last fall, and I went back to Krown Rust to have them take care of their "warranty issue". Ha. They wouldn't even look at the truck. So I would not recommend them.
You need to get a rustprrofing product that is waxed based and not petroleum based like 99% of the main sellers use.
There is a place hre in Burlington that is a hole in the wall paint shop that I would recommend to have your rustproofing.
Hi Tech Collision. It's in Burlington on Plains Road.
Always get the car done, it'll save you hassles in the long run (In fact the '88 Chev Celebrity that my dad passed down to me back in '93 and I drove for two more years after that) had been undercoated every year, washed off the gunk and it looked like new underneath :D I was sold)

NefCanuck
meford4u,Sep 25 2007, 01:45 PM Wrote:
skipper,Sep 25 2007, 12:09 PM Wrote:I bought the car not leased and i intend on keeping it for my daughter who will be driving in about 5 years...
So do it every year?  It's not a one time thing??
[right][snapback]249468[/snapback][/right]
I had my truck rustproofed religously for the past 9 years. Rust issue came up last fall, and I went back to Krown Rust to have them take care of their "warranty issue". Ha. They wouldn't even look at the truck. So I would not recommend them.
You need to get a rustprrofing product that is waxed based and not petroleum based like 99% of the main sellers use.
There is a place hre in Burlington that is a hole in the wall paint shop that I would recommend to have your rustproofing.
Hi Tech Collision. It's in Burlington on Plains Road.
[right][snapback]249480[/snapback][/right]

Listen to the man, we've had similar experiences with my fathers BMW. its been 'rustproofed' every year, and about 2 years ago we had some serious rust coming through....

i dont rust proof any of my cars.
I would say to get it done or go to napa and buy a few cans of diy. stuff . I wouldnt suggest the 599 stuff cause ive seen a few with rust after the dealer stuff and the company still wont waranty it.
Get it done man! Im taking mine to Walmart to have it done...$39.95 Non drip.
oldeguy,Sep 25 2007, 10:18 AM Wrote:Has anyone done the electronic rustproofing that Canadian Tire is selling?
[right][snapback]249464[/snapback][/right]

Well I wouldnt spend the $200 on one, I salt the highways part-time in the winter and we looked into getting a few but they don't protect 100%
The electronic rust proofers don't work.
There is a class action law suit set agaisnt the company that makes them (US)
My inlaws Epica had one from the dealer and he has already had some respraying done due to rust.

I'm an advocate of Krown.
My Focus is 7 years old and looks great.
Krown is NOT oil based like many other products.
If it doesn't drip it doesn't work!

They have a binder in mots of their shop with newspaper articles from the main newspapers you can read that back up their findings.

Cheers
Alec Brandon,Sep 26 2007, 07:39 AM Wrote:The electronic rust proofers don't work.
There is a class action law suit set agaisnt the company that makes them (US)
My inlaws Epica had one from the dealer and he has already had some respraying done due to rust.

I'm an advocate of Krown.
My Focus is 7 years old and looks great.
Krown is NOT oil based like many other products.
If it doesn't drip it doesn't work!

They have a binder in mots of their shop with newspaper articles from the main newspapers you can read that back up their findings.

Cheers
[right][snapback]249557[/snapback][/right]
Krown is oil based. They changed the formula 5-6 years ago. The articles in that book I bet are older than that.
Definately do it.
electronic does so work , maybe not the cheap can tire ones but the tricare from dealer does , and its warrantied for life . Ive seen cars with it installed with 0 rust and same car same year with none completely rusted . sold me