FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Infinity Basslink
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I've had my Infinity basslink in the trunk of my mustang since I was on my summer leave. It's mounted in the right rear corner of the trunk, with the active driver firing into the right side of the trunk, and the radiator firing into the trunk cavity itself. After some adjustments, and some break in time, I must say that I am very pleased with the performance of this thing so far. It plays pretty damned deep, tight, and loud for what it is (tiny with only a modest amp driving it), and it's certainly an awesome addition to an OEM stereo in a vehicle, if you don't wanna sacriffice space, weight, or a big dent in your wallet.

I am curious to see how it performs with an aftermarket deck (once I finally get one to replace the Shaker corprate radio), and I'm guessing that it will perform even better. On some songs, it sounds like there is a larger sub than what's actually in the trunk, and I really do need to dynamat the trunklid, and the outer walls of the trunk too, as it vibrates the hell out of my car's body...lol

Anyways, I'll leave another review about this thing after some more time with it and more tweaks, but so far, I'm really happy with it, and the fact that I got it for $300 too...

L8tz
Hay I just looked at some reviews on that thing and it kicks bottm. I have the factory sub and amp in my focus and it is very clear but has no real bottom end. Since I don't know anything about car stereo's would IO be able to hook this up to my car even though my deck dosnt have rca plugs? I want more bass but I dont want to rip apart my car to get it. Let me know how you hooked it up. :blink:
fact - bigger isn't always good for bass..
aftermarket deck will give you more output..

if you want to keep stock headunit but add aftermarket amp, then line out converter will give you rca connection..
to install, 12v, ground and t tap 2 speaker wires to rear speaker wires.

and yes, do the dampening, not only to stop rattling but it will give you better deep tight bass..
I have my basslink wired with splices off the rear 6x8's (which I swapped in favour of Infinity Refference 6x8's too), and it seems to do a decent job. The only problem with the stock deck, is that there is less tuning/adjustments available than there is with aftermarket (steeper crossover slope, gain control from the HU, etc), and it's only going to get the same bass as whatever speakers you have it spliced into. Now, with that being said, with a 200w RMS Digital amp, and the two drivers in the same cabinet, it produces quite a lot of bass for something so small, without having to drive the hell out of it. It also extends very deep for such a small cabinet too. After some initial adjustments and some break-in time on the drivers, it does sound even better than when I first got it, and I've actually got the bass on the deck below flat (the unit sounds too mid-bass-y and out of place when running flat or above flat), which has made it blend that much better, and it's also less wear and tear on the HU amp, and the other small speakers too.

I bought the Basslink as a small, lightweight abd efficient means of additional bass in my car, and it's accomplished all feats with flying colours. I'm anxious now to see how it does with an aftermarket deck, which will provide a cleaner and louder input (high level) input source.

I think that one of these would sound great in a Focus too, of any variety. Just need to add some dampening to the trunk of my car to cut down on the harmonics coming through the body panels in the rear of the car now (yeah, the little basslink is actually that loud...)

L8tz
So how did you hook up the power supply? Im very interested in this now?
^^^ at the stock radio harness
Like I said, I did splices in the rear of the car. I cut the heads off the speaker leads for the stock speakers in my rear shelf, and spliced 2 pigtails off of them (one for the speaker itself, and one for the input of the Basslink....repeated the same thing for the other speaker and the other input on the basslink). The basslink comes with an adapter harness to use the low level inputs, and some of them also came with an optional gain control remote switch for the front of the vehicle (mine was a 1st gen, so didn't come with it). The basslink also has an internal Servo control, which prevents the drivers from overextending themselves, and cuts back the amp too....this is to help protect it from being overdriven if the source sends spikes to it that could harm it otherwise.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/product...y=US&Region=USA

A little while back, Future-schlock...I mean, Futureshop was selling them for $299, but I got mine for the same price at Audio Vibe in Brantford instead (I've bought all my car stereos from them, and my TV's and DVD players and stuff for in the house).

Anyways, I think it's an awesome peice of kit, provided you set it up properly, and also make the adjustments to volume and bass from your head unit too, to get the most out of it. Now, I will tell you that it won't be as loud as 2-12's or something like that, or as loud as 2 10's (decent ones) with a BIG amp, but for a easy to live with budget, small amount of real estate usage in your trunk, lightweight, and good overall Infinity sound, it's maybe what some people are after...

L8tz