FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Problem With Start Up, Hesitation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having two weird problems, that don't happen all the time, they're sporadic, but they've been getting progressively more frequent..

1) When I go to turn the engine over, it cranks, and when I release the key when I normally should, the start dies. This doesn't happen all the time, a few times per week
2) When I shift up, sometimes I get a hesitation in the acceleration. I'm not shifting into too high a gear, and I'm giving it enough gas. This usually happens when it's damp'er' outside, and within the first 10 kms of driving

So, we're thinking it's either something to do with the fuel system (might explain both), or something to do with the coil pack. I wouldn't mind getting the car scanned for peace of mind, but I don't really feel like getting jerked around from the dealership.

Any suggestions?

KMs?

When I had wet weather issues it turned to be be the spark plug wires. A fairly inexpensive part to replace.
I just thinking out loud, but the 10KM issue could be how long it takes any moisture under the hood to evaporate.
It's at 25K Kms.
The BF thought it might be coil-pack related based on similar problems he had in his VR6

Technically, it's still under warranty, but my dealership has the art of selling you products and services you don't need down to a 'T'
getting it scanned wont tell you anything unless your throwing a code.

Its under warranty, I'd have the dealership take a look. If you dont trust your dealership, come to rockland and bring the car to Rockland Ford. A few of us use this dealership, and they wont screw you around.

It can't be coilpack as the DUratec is Coil-on-Plug ignition. Unless one of the CoP modules is loose, that's out. It's too early for spark plugs in my books, although bad gas from the beginning on might cause it. It's quite doubtful, tho.

My suggestion? Haul the negative cable off the battery for 15 minutes or so to put the ECU back into "learn mode" for air metering, then go for a drive for 30-40 minutes using all different types of driving styles.

Sometimes the stock tune gets a little "stupid".

Other than that, take it to a dealer you can trust. It's all warranty anyhow, so you shouldn't pay for anything for a driveability concern.
I'll keep you updated, but probably going to do what Flo suggested.
Did you change the Fuel Filter?
There is a tsb for your car about the long crank and hard to start issue with the mtx trans. Mine does it all the time and all the tsb says is that 5 seconds of crank time is normal for this engine trans combo. PAin in the but cause 5 secinds of cranking is realy alot for a new car. As for the hasatation on accel it could be your a/c compressor coming on. Even if you dont have the a/c on the compressor will still turn on to dry out the air in the car. I think the only setting it wont come on is on vent, Any thing else i do believe it comes on. I work at a dealer and my car still does it and its a pain in the but. There doesnt seem to be anything that we can find to fix it, other than pulling the fuse for the a/c compressor so it wont cycle. When you take it in, if the dealer can find something else wrong can you post cause it would be nice to resolve the hesatation..
Thanks for that... very helpful!

I will let you know what the dealer says. As for the hesitation, I'll try switching between driving with just the vent, or with another setting, and see if it makes a difference!

I was just reading a tsb for the 2006 about the a/c clutch cycling on and off creating hesatation, the fix i guess is a pcm update. Mabey mention that at the dealer
snorcus,Sep 21 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:There is a tsb for your car about the long crank and hard to start issue with the mtx trans. Mine does it all the time and all the tsb says is that 5 seconds of crank time is normal for this engine trans combo.   PAin in the but cause 5 secinds of cranking is realy alot for a new car.  As for the hasatation on accel it could be your a/c compressor coming on. Even if you dont have the a/c on the compressor will still turn on to dry out the air in the car. I think the only setting it wont come on is on vent, Any thing else i do believe it comes on.   I work at a dealer and my car still does it and its a pain in the but.  There doesnt seem to be anything that we can find to fix it, other than pulling the fuse for the a/c compressor so it wont cycle.  When you take it in, if the dealer can find something else wrong can you post cause it would be nice to resolve the hesatation..
[right][snapback]249239[/snapback][/right]

I had the same problem with my 05 ST but it sometimes would not "fire" at all, I missed two days of work from it (only had 31'000km on it) so I gave it back to the @#$%ers at Eastgate and got a 07 so far so good :D
WOW im surprised that it didnt start, Did they take it back or did you trade it in????
snorcus,Sep 24 2007, 09:37 AM Wrote:WOW im surprised that it didnt start, Did they take it back or did you trade it in????
[right][snapback]249370[/snapback][/right]
I lost about $500 when I traded it in so its not that bad.
snorcus,Sep 21 2007, 02:34 PM Wrote:I was just reading a tsb for the 2006 about the a/c clutch cycling on and off creating hesatation, the fix i guess is a pcm update.  Mabey mention that at the dealer
[right][snapback]249253[/snapback][/right]

Would you mind sending me a link for the service bulletin, so i can print it off and show up at the dealership with it?? :)
Here is one for hesatations at steady speed .
HESITATION AND/OR SURGE WHEN A/C TSB 05-23-11
COMPRESSOR CYCLES ON/OFF AT STEADY STATE
CRUISE
FORD:
2006 Focus
ISSUE OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
Some 2006 Focus vehicles may exhibit a hesitation 052311A 2006 Focus: Check 0.4 Hr.
and/or surge when the A/C compressor cycles Diagnostic Trouble Codes
on/off at a steady state cruise. And Reprogram The
Powertrain Control Module
ACTION (Do Not Use With 12650D,
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to 12650D84)
the latest calibration using WDS release B39.14 and DEALER CODING
higher or B40.2 and higher. This new calibration is CONDITION
not included in the B40 CD. Calibration files may BASIC PART NO. CODE
also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com. RECAL 04
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of

Another
TSB
06-18-4 2.0L PZEV - HESITATION OR SURGING WHILE DRIVING WITH A/C ON

Publication Date: August 30, 2006

FORD: 2006 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L PZEV engine may exhibit a hesitation/surge when the A/C compressor cycles on/off at a steady state cruise.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B43.16 and higher or B44.8 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
061804A 2006 Focus 2.0L PZEV: Check Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram The Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recalem 04
Here is the one ive had done on my car that didnt do anything do we called the tech hot line and thet instrucued us that up to 5 seconds of cranking is normal for the duratec with the mtx trans. Printable View (6 KB)
TSB
05-9-16 LONG CRANK/HARD START - 2.0L AND 2.3L ENGINE WITH MTX-75 TRANSAXLE

Publication Date: April 29, 2005

FORD: 2005 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Focus vehicles equipped with MTX-75 manual transaxles, may exhibit a long crank or hard start condition with no malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest level using WDS release B36.12 and higher or B37.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

050916A 2005 Focus 2.0L/2.3L With MTX-75 Transmission Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D84) 0.4 Hr.

snorcus,Sep 25 2007, 01:20 PM Wrote:Here is the one ive had done on my car that didnt do anything do we called the tech hot line and thet instrucued us that up to 5 seconds of cranking is normal for the duratec with the mtx trans. Printable View (6 KB) 
TSB
05-9-16 LONG CRANK/HARD START - 2.0L AND 2.3L ENGINE WITH MTX-75 TRANSAXLE

Publication Date: April 29, 2005

FORD: 2005 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Focus vehicles equipped with MTX-75 manual transaxles, may exhibit a long crank or hard start condition with no malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest level using WDS release B36.12 and higher or B37.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

050916A 2005 Focus 2.0L/2.3L With MTX-75 Transmission Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650D84) 0.4 Hr.
[right][snapback]249494[/snapback][/right]

I had that done to mine. Did s***. Still have problems, I just deal with it and keep crankin.