FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 91 Octane, It Drives Better.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
fawwwwwwwwwwwkkk, he told you guys. :P :lol:
Flofocus,Jan 15 2008, 02:05 PM Wrote:fawwwwwwwwwwwkkk, he told you guys.  :P  :lol:
[right][snapback]256153[/snapback][/right]

I told them first... granted, I used nice words and my inside voice...
darkpuppet,Jan 15 2008, 02:41 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jan 15 2008, 02:05 PM Wrote:fawwwwwwwwwwwkkk, he told you guys.  :P  :lol:
[right][snapback]256153[/snapback][/right]

I told them first... granted, I used nice words and my inside voice...
[right][snapback]256156[/snapback][/right]

As opposed to using the voice inside your head? ;) :lol:

NefCanuck
Hence why I recommended the flasher to begin with :P
darkpuppet,Jan 15 2008, 12:41 PM Wrote:I told them first...  granted, I used nice words and my inside voice...
[right][snapback]256156[/snapback][/right]

It gives more of an effect when you're demanding and using "outside" voices "inside" this forum :lol:

but seroiusly..... I was sorta venting there. I see SOOOO much advertising about "max power and performance out of your engine, use expensive gas!" and it gets to me becuase so many people put it in thinking its a fuel system cleaner that gains them horsepower for ONLY 10 cents more per litre.

My friend has a 06 ZX5 and hes always inclined to go for 91 at the pump. I say, why do you use that? He's like "its better for the engine" I'm like how? hes like iuno

then says "it feels better this.... and better that... bla bla" its all in his head.

I'm pretty sure a HUGE car manufacturer will know a little more about their engines than a gas station, that doesn't manufacture cars. Ford knows how they made their engines, and what fuel it should run. 87 octane for 87 octane recomended cars.... 91 octane for 91 octane recomended cars UNLESS you get the flash! :)

Happy pumping everybody! (and stop wasting your money on useless advertising!)
btw..... I vented with some factual information in an attempt to HELP you guys :)
not to make you seem i'm a crazy angry guy who hates the gas stations!
we didn't need to go past the 2nd post in this thread.... :D

naz Wrote:i think it is almost certainly in your head dude... the only way higher octane fuel offers more performance is if your ECU is setup be aggressive to advance timing and/or boost if no deto is seen... i'm like 99.9% sure that a stock focus ECU doesn't do that

the only advantage i can see for a stock focus using higher octane is that the fuel is cleaner and less likely to leave gunk in the fuel filter
And might I add............many of the stations locally, whether they be Shell Esso Petrocan............all use the same supplier for gas. That's how they save $$$$. The refuelling DEPO at Burloak and the QEW services all these stations locally, just using different trucks, and the refuelling center is owned by PetroCanada. Other refuelling centers do the same thing across Canada just with different ownerships. Same gas, different name.

You may think it's different, but once again, your wrong.
meford4u,Jan 16 2008, 01:28 AM Wrote:And might I add............many of the stations locally, whether they be Shell Esso Petrocan............all use the same supplier for gas.
[right][snapback]256184[/snapback][/right]

is this true for the US as well?

i heard from 2001 ZTS and others in the oil biz a while back that shell purchased fuel from the top of the tanks, which meant that shell fuel had less sediments/gunk and random no name brand gas stations got the dregs at the bottom of the tank

what you are saying pretty much contradicts this?
All I have to say to this is Sunoco ultra 94 LOL
naz,Jan 15 2008, 09:58 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Jan 16 2008, 01:28 AM Wrote:And might I add............many of the stations locally, whether they be Shell Esso Petrocan............all use the same supplier for gas.
[right][snapback]256184[/snapback][/right]

is this true for the US as well?

i heard from 2001 ZTS and others in the oil biz a while back that shell purchased fuel from the top of the tanks, which meant that shell fuel had less sediments/gunk and random no name brand gas stations got the dregs at the bottom of the tank

what you are saying pretty much contradicts this?
[right][snapback]256186[/snapback][/right]

not to mention that shell buying off the top of the tanks for less sediment sort of contradicts with the lawsuit and settlement with chrysler owners due to damage caused by sediments.
Tiketz,Jan 16 2008, 02:05 AM Wrote:All I have to say to this is Sunoco ultra 94 LOL
[right][snapback]256187[/snapback][/right]

not sold in the US anymore :(

but believe it or not 100 octane is available at some pumps
naz,Jan 15 2008, 09:24 PM Wrote:
Tiketz,Jan 16 2008, 02:05 AM Wrote:All I have to say to this is Sunoco ultra 94 LOL
[right][snapback]256187[/snapback][/right]

not sold in the US anymore :(

but believe it or not 100 octane is available at some pumps
[right][snapback]256191[/snapback][/right]

holy jebus! how much is THAT ?!!?
really 100 octane is that unleaded i didn't think it was that high i know theres a place in detroit that has 97 i believe
ZX3_2NV,Jan 16 2008, 04:31 PM Wrote:really 100 octane is that unleaded i didn't think it was that high i know theres a place in detroit that has 97 i believe
[right][snapback]256210[/snapback][/right]

yea its 100 unleaded. and its available at the pumps in some places (very few).. costs $5.49/ gallon .. i posted about this a while back.. i can't find the pic anymore

i'm tempted to get it just so i can get back to 93 octane.. stupid 91 makes my car detonate sometimes :(

ZX3_2NV,Jan 16 2008, 04:31 PM Wrote:really 100 octane is that unleaded i didn't think it was that high i know theres a place in detroit that has 97 i believe
[right][snapback]256210[/snapback][/right]

went there this weekend.. here's the pic of the pump and my wagon in the foreground

[Image: 0119081814.jpg]

[Image: 0119081813.jpg]
^^so does your WRX need to be tunned for that gas as well?
NikiterZTS,Jan 21 2008, 12:52 AM Wrote:^^so does your WRX need to be tunned for that gas as well?
[right][snapback]256455[/snapback][/right]

stock WRX ECU can optimize ignition timing/boost up to 96 octane.. so its an example of

Quote:ECU is setup be aggressive to advance timing and/or boost if no deto is seen.

the gain isn't that much though.. i heard the difference between ECU on full retard versus full advance is like appx 15hp.. i just hate hearing deto and using 100 versus 91 is a big difference on that front

but yea.. of course i would get much better gains if i actually modded the car and got an aftermarket tune setup specifically for 100 octane
Pages: 1 2