FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Drum Brake Leaking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just noticed that my passenger sided rear drum brake appears to be leaking brake fluid from the bottom ridge. I checked the levels and it does appear to be a little low. It's not a big leak as it has been leaking for a couple of weeks now and I have not felt any difference in braking power yet.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it an easy fix or should I bring it in to the dealer?
Easy enough if you have knowledge of the brakes , its the wheel cylinder seal that is leaking , ive never changed it on my focus yet since its an 06 but ive changed it on every other car and it was around 25 bucks a part and changing was quite easy , it involves removing the shoes well atleast the top portion springs .
zx5power,Sep 20 2007, 09:41 AM Wrote:Easy enough if you have knowledge of the brakes , its the wheel cylinder seal that is leaking , ive never changed it on my focus yet since its an 06 but ive changed it on every other car and it was around 25 bucks a part and changing was quite easy , it involves removing the shoes well atleast the top portion springs .
[right][snapback]249147[/snapback][/right]

Yup. Either that or is could be a leak on the line. Either way it wont cost much.
OMG undoo the hub nut.. don't try and pry the drum loose with out it IT WON"T WORK! lol did that my first year owning the car,,, and wrestling with the springs on the drums is a PITA! get a haynes manual and only do one side at a time... keep the other drum and wheel off to see the asembly for refrence on the other side.. good luck lol I HATE THOSE REAR BRAKES!
ZED_not_zee,Oct 18 2007, 07:52 PM Wrote:OMG undoo the hub nut..  don't try and pry the drum loose with out it IT WON"T WORK! lol did that my first year owning the car,,,  and wrestling with the springs on the drums is a PITA!  get a haynes manual and only do one side at a time...  keep the other drum and wheel off to see the asembly for refrence on the other side.. good luck lol I HATE THOSE REAR BRAKES!
[right][snapback]251314[/snapback][/right]

What size is that hub nut? It is bigger than the largest socket that I have in my set (24mm.)

I have the Hanynes manual and it does say to remove this big nut. However when I look at the Focus Hacks description of removing the drum brake, they suggests removing it by undoing four 13mm bolts from the back side of the brake. :iono:
The socket could be a 32 but it might not be lol :lol:
it's a big one... and I have a lot of tools so I was fortunate to have it on hand I don't remember... I just tried a few until one sorta fit the design is kind flaky.. I replaced mine with ones from a 99 Miata which is more robust and not pressed metal