FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rip Colin Mcrae
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Colin McRae has died in helicopter crash in the UK, I'm surprised no one posted it. He was one of the first driver to make the Focus what is today.

Quote:Four people have been killed in a helicopter crash near the Lanarkshire home of former World Rally Champion Colin McRae.

The helicopter came down at 1610 BST in Jerviswood, about a mile from Lanark, and is understood to have caught fire.

Strathclyde Police said the Squirrel aircraft was believed to be owned by Colin McRae, 39, who is thought to have been onboard.

However they said formal identification still had to be carried out.

Mr McRae, 39, is known to be a keen helicopter pilot.

Strathclyde Police said the helicopter damage was so bad they could not confirm how many were involved.

A police statement said: "Around 1610 BST on Saturday, 15 September 2007, emergency services were called to a helicopter crash in Jerviswood, east of the A73 at Lanark.

"There are no survivors.

"There will be no formal identification of anyone on board this evening."

Police are still at the scene of the crash conducting a search of the area.

An air accident investigation team will carry out a full investigation into the cause of the crash.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been despatched to the scene along with three ambulance crews.

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service also has units in attendance at the scene.

The RAF spokesman said the incident did not involve a military aircraft and added that its helicopter was on stand-by to assist.

A spokesman for the British Airports Authority said the helicopter did not come from Glasgow or Edinburgh Airports.
RIP Collin !!!!
wow, RIP colin :(
Hopefully he wasn't, but if he was... RIP Colin, one of the most colourful and extreme rally drivers EVER. :( :( :(
Well I hope he wosn't on board. If so We have lost another great driver.
My girlfriend told me last night... (she knew he was a Focus driver) and I almost didn't believe her. He was an amazing driver. RIP Colin.
My dad just told me about this...

Thanks to Colin, the Focus got the cred that it deserved, and also helped bolster public interest in the WRC too...

RIP Colin!

02SVTSEDAN

CHEERS COLIN!!!!! THANKS FOR MAKING THE FOCUS A GREAT CAR!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbrACrFSIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwb-RNbdx5U...related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow7foAozaJk...related&search=
Watch the last vid COLIN MCCRASH!!!...LOL..HE HAD BALLS MAN!!
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 16 2007, 10:25 AM Wrote:Hopefully he wasn't, but if he was... RIP Colin, one of the most colourful and extreme rally drivers EVER. :( :( :(
[right][snapback]248865[/snapback][/right]

Well it was just confirmed.Unfortunately he has passed on the return trip to his estate.

Rally driver Colin McRae dies in helicopter crash
5 hours ago

LONDON (AFP) — Former world rally champion Colin McRae and his five-year-old son were among four people killed in a helicopter crash this weekend in southern Scotland, police said Sunday.

Scotsman McRae, his son Johnny and two family friends including a six-year-old boy were killed when the 39-year-old driver's Squirrel Two aircraft crashed in the grounds of his Lanark home on Saturday.

Tributes poured in from the sporting and political arenas in honour of McRae, who in 1995 was the first Briton to win the world rally championship.

"We believe that the group were just returning from a visit to the nearby village of Quarter around 1605 (1505 GMT) hours yesterday, when it appears that the helicopter got into difficulty and crashed within the grounds of Mr McRae's family home," Chief Superintendent Tim Love said in a statement issued by Strathclyde Police.

"Our officers are working closely with the Air Accident Investigation Team who are presently at the scene.

"Family liaison officers have been appointed and are with the families to help them through this distressing and difficult time."

The two others were named as six-year-old Ben Porcelli, of Lanark, and Graeme Duncan, 37, who lived in France.

A police spokeswoman stressed that the bodies had not yet been formally identified.

The crash wreckage, which was in thick woods, was so bad it was initially difficult to determine how many people were involved.

Colin Steele McRae, a licensed pilot, was born in Lanark on August 5, 1968.

He had two children, Hollie and Johnny, with his wife Alison.

Nicky Grist, McRae's co-driver since 1997, expressed his sorrow.

"He was such a great character and will be sorely missed," he told Sky News, adding that the death of Johnny and the two friends made it an even greater tragedy.

"Johnny adored his father and loved everything about cars," Grist said.

"I am sure he was the new rally driver for the McRae family."

David Richards, McRae's former boss at Subaru -- where he enjoyed much of his rallying success -- described his death as "a terrible loss."

"He had a competitive spirit like I've never seen," Richards tod the BBC.

"He was one of those people who had an extraordinary spirit that you just can't define."

Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, said McRae's death was a "great tragedy."

"Colin McRae was an outstanding Scottish sportsman of international stature and achievement," he said.

McRae competed in his first rally on the World Rally Championship circuit in Sweden in 1987, earning his first win in New Zealand in 1993.

Driving a Subaru Impreza 555, the Scot won the 1995 World Rally Championship in a nail-biting finish on home soil and was the runner-up in 1996, 1997 and 2001.

He was made a MBE by Queen Elizabeth II in 1996.

The driving legend is also known for "Colin McRae Rally" -- a series of racing video games, played on many platforms, which have sold more than eight million copies worldwide.

The rally driver's official website, http://www.colinmcrae.com, was changed to a black screen on Sunday morning, prior to police confirmation of his death.

"I'm not really a fan of computers," McRae was quoted as saying on his website before it went offline.

He added: "When it comes to computers and electronics, give me 300 brake horsepower, a winding road -- and no brakes, and then you've got my attention!"

wow one of my favourite drivers and the man behind one of the only 2 video games I ever play.

RIP Colin
RIP both Colin and His son.
RIP to a talented rally car driver :(

NefCanuck
Although I wasn't too interested in WRC back when he was driving, it sounds like he was one of the best. Apparently, he was thinking of driving again. Needless to say, it is a sad moment for his family, his friends, and his fans. Our Prayers are with his family and friends.
RIP Colin and son :( He was an amazing driver.
Picked up a new magazine called 0 to 60 at Wal Mart and it has, what I believe is Colin's last interview/ article about him.
FocusGuy7476,Sep 18 2007, 02:36 PM Wrote:Picked up a new magazine called 0 to 60 at Wal Mart and it has, what I believe is Colin's last interview/ article about him.
[right][snapback]248999[/snapback][/right]

I'm gonna look into getting a copy of that, thanks!