FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Provincial Safety Test..$$ Matters..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today morning i went to Canadian tire to take a provincial safety test..
Then they found out some stupid things done to my car..

One of wheel stud is f!@# up badly..it is not coming out..actually it came out but it is stuck at the end..tried everything but wheel lug is not coming out..
This was done by tire shop in British Columbia..
I cannot go back to Vancouver to complain this.. :angry:

Canadian tire have to drill this out and replace stud + drum brake shoes..

Front tires, almost bald inside caused by negative camber.. this is my fault..should've rent spring compressor earlier and replace..
It is roughly $718 to replace everything..

Good thing they didn't care about mods done to my car..

I dropped my car there and waiting now and got phone call saying wheel cylinder(inside drum) is leaking..to pass safety inspection..what can i do..told them to replace as well..

They are charging me like..$900 or something include inspection and emission test..
At least it'll all be fixed up, so you can drive it without worries :)
Wow did it look like they were busy? Mabey the guys were having a "look for work day". They probably get paid a comission on the parts that they upsell, plus they know that the are the only ones that can do this inspection so they are in the drivers seat. But that price sounds a little steep for what you say they are doing.
Not sure a wheel cylinder will effect your safety test....

Why are you having a sfety test anyway? Shouldn't you just be having the emissions done?
wheel cylinder was leaking..and they said it has to be replaced..
this can cause brake loss and not safe..they are cheap stuff but labour is insane..

i need to take a safety test to register my car in ontario..mine is from the california..

if i didn't do anything extreme to my car, its better to get another focus here..but..
The rear drum brake cylinders are neccesary for safety. I had both of mine replaced when I got saftied. The labour shouldn't be that bad, because they have to take the drums off the car for the safety and to replace your shoes. For me they had to order the parts, but they left the car on the hoist with the drums off.

what it sucks is, they cahrge labours on every single parts they replace..

by the way, i just got a phone call from them that I passed emission test as well..

would i see big difference of overall brake performance??
Yeah crappy sucks! 80 labour to replace plug wires come on... They take everybody for a ride..... I say wind the lig on so tight it snaps the stud.... Done deal. Ford did that for me for free :)
picked up car finally, ontario is less strict than british columbia..

this is some scenario

BC - you need to have 4 identical tires with no wheel sticking out, bucket seat may not allow you to pass..blah blah blah..

ON - you passed!!

I was the one asking if my aftermarket intake will fail the emission test, and they said, "if catalyc converter is in place, you can pass"
Because I know California is the one, and Canadian tires in BC told me same thing..

LOVE YOU ONTARIO~LOL
Now all you have to do is find a mechanic, or a buddy with a driveway or garage to borrow :lol:
ya, please do not go to Canadian Tire again. Find a local shop and make some friends. Canadian Tire almost killed two of my immediate family members with thier shotty work. On top of that, most of them have no clue what they are talking about, and if you aren't on top of things, they will charge you an arm and a leg. I only use Canadian tire for parts/tools, and I will never get work done there again. Most privately owned shops can do a safety and emmisions test for you.
Someone up in TO should be able to set you up with a good tech to help you out with future repairs. I think there must be a tech in TO that is a focus fanatic and would be proud to work on your car.
thats why I do my own brake jobs , im confident with my own work , know how to do it and cost hell of a lot less!
i can do these kind of repairs by myself..
but the problem is, i do not have a place I can work on..

and was kinda sick and tired going back and forth to get inspection..
wanted everything done by that time..

grandskam,Sep 7 2007, 12:03 PM Wrote:ya, please do not go to Canadian Tire again.  Find a local shop and make some friends.  Canadian Tire almost killed two of my immediate family members with thier shotty work.  On top of that, most of them have no clue what they are talking about, and if you aren't on top of things, they will charge you an arm and a leg.  I only use Canadian tire for parts/tools, and I will never get work done there again.  Most privately owned shops can do a safety and emmisions test for you.
[right][snapback]248384[/snapback][/right]
And witha name like grandskam, I'll be taking your advice. Got anything to sell?

I aint buying what your sayin!

And my son is a mechanic at Can. Tire. They may not be all great, but Mom and Pop stations can be a nightmare too. Find a good mechanic period. it doesn't matter if it is can. Tire or Dad's garage.
i m pissed right now!!
wtf did they do to my car??

i was going to replace strut mount and front passenger side 1 wheel lug out of 4 is different..did they lost or something??

then front driver side, i cannot take off wheel lug, 3 came out easy but 1..they screwed stud bad.
now i haver to wait until tomorrow and spend another time to get it repaired!!
wth were they thinking!!