FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Insurance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hows ontario car insurance works??
is it run by province??or can i choose company such as progressive and such??

i m getting provincial test tomorrow so I can register my car here in ontario, then I need to have insurance in order to register my car..
You are free to search for any ins. carrier you like.

We are not a government insured state.

But be warned, it's going to be expensive.
which insurance company do u recommend??
Call around for a quote. Different people are going to have different experiences with the same car or carrier. You may have better luck going thru a broker, especially with your car. The broker may have experience with modified cars such as your own. Don't take the first thing you get. Check around, its free to shop but also time consuming.

Best of luck on your quest.
i know nothing about insurance in canada..
only know the name in the states, i used progressive..
but here, i've heard td, president's choice and so but haven;t heard which one is well-known for affordable rates??
There are a few American Insurance Companys here in Canada, but they are the more known, like State farm, & All State. there are a few web sites that will give you cheaper rates, I know RBC Insurance has been known for having the cheapest rates online.

Avoid State Farm with a modified car as they will try to drop you over time.
Try this:

http://www.kanetix.ca/

they are NOT insurance compnay, but rather a service. So at the end they will give you about 5-10 differenct companies that will give you insurance. Its a good way to start and get a ballpark fiquire.

Not sure about your age, or status. But it will vary a lot. Single ppl tent to pay more specially with modified vechiles. Also try asking if your work has group insurance. Currently My wife and I are with Personal and they are pretty good. We pay around 250 for two cars and a house. we are both in our early 30's.

Here are some other names that you can try as well.
The Personal
RBC
TD
Belairdirect
CIBC
We're using RBC and generally enjoying their rates as being amongst the lowest of the "big names".

I'd suggest taking Mo's advice and then going from there. In my... *gulp* almost 14 years of driving (10+ with my own insurance), I'd recommend staying away from insurance brokers.

When I need to talk to someone about my policy, I want to do it NOW. Not at their leisure.
looks like RBC got cheaper rate..
i m gonna go with them..
hope they count my driving years at the states..
My 2cents...

check out johnson.ca . i switched to Johnsons this year (a Newfoundland based carrier that covers Ontario drivers). My rates went down 1000$. No joke. I was with Economical before that.

i got the BF to check out their rates as well, and his went down 900$. He was with Dominion previously.

So far, they seem to be really great (or at least their customer service reps are), and you get perks with them.... in any case, check them out.

Johnson Insurance
I would check out Johnsons as well.
went to Johnson and they only gives a quote to ppl who curerently have insurance in Ontario..

so i had to go to RBC to get a quote and wasn't bad.

sometimes this week, i can register my car here and get plate.
yay to me~lol
i would go on the net to shop for quotes.. best place i found by far