FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got The Itch Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wow, why is it that i cant be happy with one car?

So now i just want to get rid of the ZTW for 03 Audi Avant. :)

well i've been driving the focus for the last 6 years and i just think its time to move on. I want a litle bit of luxury and fun factor in my driving.

Focus has been great, but i'm sort of bored.

I know Malby make the jump recently, but does anyone else has any experiance with A4's?
No experience myself but I was just reading about them the other day. Apparantly many of the front end bushings are toast after 100k KMs, also make sure the timing belt has been done if it has higher kilos on it as this is a huge job and very expensive if you cannot do it yourself.

Here's a review of this gen A4 if you haven't read it already from Canadiandriver.com

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/02-05a4.htm
I hear turbos kill boredom fast.
^^^true that, FI will do that for sure..

uhh..wait..i do not have FI..
Audis are nice, but a little bird told me that the A4 2.0T (and subsequently the VW offerings) drink oil a little heavier than they ought to. You might want to opt for the 3.2V6 model, which actually has more HP and torque than the 4-cyl.
well actualy i was only looking for 03 which will be either 1.8T or the 3.0L. I really like the 3.0L, but there are lot more of 1.8T's out there.
about the oil consumption that Nos brought up.. i wouldn't worry about that too much.. just do the usual use car tests (ie insist on a compression test before buying). my sube drinks about 1qt every 3k miles give or take.. i don't worry about it much.. at my last track day i didn't use any oil at all, so its not like motors that use oil are going to blow up or something.. in fact the subaru factory spec for excessive use is 1qt per 1000miles... i'm sure audi has something similar

personally, i would not purchase a 1.8T or 2.0T A4.. i think they are really slow unless you start dumping $$$ into them. (ie my 91 integra was faster than a friend's stock 05 1.8T A4).. I don't think you will be getting much driving excitement out of those cars unless its in the snow or heavily modded. i think a turbo subaru wagon would get the job done for you much better than an A4 :lol:

i think the S4 avant would be a pretty solid daily driver though!

also, E36 M3 is getting to be pretty cheap these days.. you should be able to find a high quality example for a reasonable price.. i think those are GREAT cars. not that fast anymore compared to what is out there, but still fabulous to drive. i think you have a great time with one of those and it would be a huge leap ahead from an '03 A4 for similar money
I heard a few things about the 1.8T being Garbage as it's the same engine that is known to be bad from the Jettas, but I'd really look into that.
Frost__2001,Aug 31 2007, 03:10 AM Wrote:I heard a few things about the 1.8T being Garbage as it's the same engine that is known to be bad from the Jettas, but I'd really look into that.
[right][snapback]248035[/snapback][/right]

I dont think so....thats a world class engine, pretty solid.

I'd get the 1.8T, change turbos, go to FMIC/3" exhuast, and a proper Tune and you will be laughing. In stock form they ar enot that fast though, my 325IX has no problem getting by them, which says a lot. i think the BMW is pretty slow. :lol:
ok with the baby coming this year, any mods are out of question. No way, no money :) so the car will stay bone stock. having said that i might just get the stereo upgraded to the Avic D3. and maybe a chip. the chip will bring the power to 209 with ADR chip. (not sure if that will work with auto)

As for the price, well Naz, you were saying BMW. I want the SW and the bimer is still lot more money then the audi. I can get the car from the auction lot cheaper then bimmer or the MB. i think i can get the 1.8T avant for 15(hopefully) bimmer and MB are still up in the 20's. so they are out of the question.

Also i will be driving a lot on 401, with quattro i would feel a little more safe specially when i have the snow tires on as well.

I would basically want a car(station wagaon) that has great gas millage, has a bit of luxury in it(dual climate control, leather heated seats) quite and comfortable ride(being in the car for 5hrs a day would get to you if you can hear the road noise all the time). i guess that would cover it up.

other options were:
BMW 325 iT
MB 240 SW 4matic
Subaru Legacy SW

all these guys were lot more money then the 1.8T Avant

This is what i want :):)
[Image: AudiA4_1.jpg]
One of my friend's dads is a sales manager at an Audi dealer here in town. That's what he drives. :) If the sales manager has one for his personal car, it must be pretty nice! I think it's a good choice to go slightly up market from the Focus.

Ryan
reldridge,Aug 31 2007, 12:34 PM Wrote:I think it's a good choice to go slightly up market from the Focus.

Ryan
[right][snapback]248065[/snapback][/right]

slightly????

Is that like saying Malby7's A4 is slightly nicer than his last focus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mo, when funds permit an RS4 bumper would look sick! I have one just like this in GT4....Love it!

[Image: quattro_25years_02.jpg]
mo_focus,Aug 31 2007, 03:59 PM Wrote:As for the price, well Naz, you were saying BMW. I want the SW
[right][snapback]248062[/snapback][/right]

i didn't realize you were looking for a wagon specifically.. i guess m3 is def out of the question :lol:

how about a turbo brick? (volvo wagon) such as this one?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...=1&cardist=2583

naz,Sep 3 2007, 08:53 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,Aug 31 2007, 03:59 PM Wrote:As for the price, well Naz, you were saying BMW. I want the SW
[right][snapback]248062[/snapback][/right]

i didn't realize you were looking for a wagon specifically.. i guess m3 is def out of the question :lol:

how about a turbo brick? (volvo wagon) such as this one?

Yeah i was looking at Volvo as well, I really like the new V50, but still too new and expensive. As for the S60,mmm i like the sedan, dont like the V70 at all.
seems like you are looking more for the features, branding and look rather than actual performance (nothing wrong with that) so just go for the A4 and call it a day dude.. you could be all comfy in the right lane during your commute :)