FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Someone Wants To Buy My Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, got a possible transaction going on right now with a guy in the UK.
I don't know if this sounds normal or if there is something fishy about it so wanted to ask your opinions, but as far as it sounds (communication via email so far), doesn't seem like a scam.

Basically he's willing to buy my 04 focus zts (after seeing my ad) and since he's in UK he said his associate in the US will issue me a certified check for the total amount of my car + shipping fees (that he is paying for).

Then he said once my check arrives to me, i just deduct my asking price from it and the remaining funds will cover the shipping. I just wire it via Western Union to his international shipping agent (he has his own international shipping agent he said). Once he receives the balance, the shipping agent will come over and pick up my car. He said he'll pass along to me his shipper's address.

So the only thing he asked from me was to forward some info so he can give it to his associate who will be issuing the check. The info he requested of me was: my name, address (city/prov/postal) and my phone number. That's all.

So what should i do to make sure this is legit and protect myself from any possible scam here.

Obviously i'm not gonna give away my car until the check and the funds are cleared and in my bank.....that would suck to have someone just come and take my car and get no money for it lol.

international banking is dicey... if it is a certified check drawn on a US or canadian bank (which it almost certainly won't be) I'd just report him as a scammer and ignore him (don't give him any of your personal info)

i believe it is possible for the check to look like it cleared (your bank account will show the funds) and then you would send over the title.. but because of some international banking voodoo later on that check will NOT clear and money will be yanked from your account, and you'll be car-less since its on a boat going to somewhere and you signed the title over
What he said ... scam ... ignore them or have some fun with them, but whatever you do, don't do what they ask especially giving them personal info. For all you know they're from Brampton and they're really planning on stealing your car.

naz,Aug 29 2007, 09:58 PM Wrote:international banking is dicey... if it is a certified check drawn on a US or canadian bank (which it almost certainly won't be) I'd just report him as a scammer and ignore him (don't give him any of your personal info)

i believe it is possible for the check to look like it cleared (your bank account will show the funds) and then you would send over the title.. but because of some international banking voodoo later on that check will NOT clear and money will be yanked from your account, and you'll be car-less since its on a boat going to somewhere and you signed the title over
[right][snapback]247954[/snapback][/right]
My sister was involved with the same situation, except with a piece of furniture.
The issuer sent her a certified cheque, for almost double the amount she was asking for a dresser. Then then asked her to have the piece available for a shipper to pick up from her house, and to give the shipper the amount that they had overpaid(in cash)
She went to the police and they verified that the cheque was phoney. A scam.

And if you follow up with this UK idiot who gets a better version of the Focus in his own country, then you my friend, will fall into the trap.
SCAM!!!!! run/drive and keep your focus away from that bad man!
Scam! Run! Don't Walk Away!

Sounds like what happens on eBay all the time.
yeah it's a total Scam, as if he really wants a Focus Saloon (Sedan) in the Uk, they come with more options in the Ghia version then they do with the ZTS, not to mention it's cheaper by far for them to get that car in the UK without the shipping charges, VAT, and adding UK Required safety features for legal road use.
Yeah it's a total scam. Someone gets a parts car and you get to cry in your beer if it goes through. Don't be that guy.
Scammo.
I've got the same email for my bike, then my buddy who was selling his called to say someone was interested. Turns out it was the same email address, james.bound what a douche bag.
big time scam
yeah as everyone has said its a scam, please report them to

https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en

while back i got a similar one as well. I emailed them to recol. I got a thank you letter from RCMP.

Regards, Mo
this is probably of kijiji isn't it?

i see things like that on there everyday

and yea i say REPORT that guy
ok i'll submit it to the that link u gave
SCAM!!!!!!!!

anytime that they want you to ship money back to them, its a scam!
Hey guys just an update: so i got his check in the mail a couple days ago. It has his name address and bank name, address, branch etc.

The cheque is from TD Canada Trust. What should i do with this cheque? I wanted to go to the bank and find it out if its a real cheque or not or even call his branch and find out if its legit.

Anything else i should do or not do before I deposit it in my bank account and try to complete this transaction??
Dude, this sounds like bad news all over it. I'd rip up the cheque and find a new buyer.
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 19 2007, 08:31 PM Wrote:Dude, this sounds like bad news all over it.  I'd rip up the cheque and find a new buyer.
[right][snapback]249127[/snapback][/right]

why not figure it out first?? why rip it apart right away? wtf come on Oscar

this is gettin pretty interesting

cordflackes i think your idea pretty good...call in and see if this check is legit

please keep us updated

p.s. one member(orange03svtf) on FF.com got scammed at week or so ago....he bought fake 300zx ....obviosly sent the money and now doesn't know what to do....
I have no idea how people can buy such big ticket items without first seeing it!
I guess I work too hard for my money to chance it.
Where did you place your ad?
How is he gonna pick up the car?
Is he saying that he sent you enough money to pay for shipping? If so, this is bad, imo.
I would hold your car until the money clears, make sure to ask the bank how long it will take.
If the Check is fake, you should take it to your local police station as this is a fraud. let the cops deal with it after that.
Pages: 1 2