FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Does The Mazda6 Use The Same Motor As The Focus St
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just curious.. is that 2.3L that the mazda3 and mazda6 use the same as the motor in the ST focus?
quite possibly. i know there have been partnerships between ford/mazda

edit: did some research

Duratec 23
The Duratec 23 is a 2.3 L (2261 cc) version of the Mazda-designed Duratec 20. Bore is 87.4 mm and stroke is 94 mm. It has an aluminum engine block with cast iron cylinder liners and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and a one-piece cast crankshaft.

The 23EW is built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico for use in the American market Focus. The Ford version does not have VVT, and its output is 151 hp at 5750 RPM with 154 ft·lbf of torque at 4250 rpm. A VVT version of this engine is used on the Mazda6 producing 160 hp.

yup its the same block and internals, different computer and I think the EFI is different to.
There's variable intake valve timing and a slightly different tune to make 6 more BHP than the Ford 2.3 Duratec.

Other than that, it's basically the same motor.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 27 2007, 11:52 PM Wrote:There's variable intake valve timing and a slightly different tune to make 6 more BHP than the Ford 2.3 Duratec.

[right][snapback]247735[/snapback][/right]

does the ST also have the 5 speed auto trans with "manual" shifting option that the mazda6 has?

reason i'm asking all these random Qs is that i had a mazda6 with that 2.3L non turbo motor and auto trans as a rental car over the weekend and it was actually kinda fun! i only got 16mpg fuel econ in mixed driving, which was pretty disappointing
No, Ford doesn't offer the 'sport mode' in their vehicles... yet.
naz,Aug 28 2007, 03:07 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 27 2007, 11:52 PM Wrote:There's variable intake valve timing and a slightly different tune to make 6 more BHP than the Ford 2.3 Duratec.

[right][snapback]247735[/snapback][/right]

does the ST also have the 5 speed auto trans with "manual" shifting option that the mazda6 has?

reason i'm asking all these random Qs is that i had a mazda6 with that 2.3L non turbo motor and auto trans as a rental car over the weekend and it was actually kinda fun! i only got 16mpg fuel econ in mixed driving, which was pretty disappointing
[right][snapback]247763[/snapback][/right]

No, it's lacking the auto trans. The Canadian ST (and US ST, that I am aware of) only comes with the MTX75 transmission.

I had one earlier this month for a course, too. I kept running it through its paces with the auto-stick. :D

Now, if you want to hear how to butcher the 2.3 Dura, take out a Ford Fusion SE/SEL 4-cyl with the 5-speed, non-selective auto. Their intake manifold setup / induction setup on that car is HORRID. It makes the damn thing sound like a mini schoolbus under WOT. :( :(
i could see a focus ST being fun with that motor and less weight. 16mpg was a bit ridiculous though!