FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2008 Focus Coupe...turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so today I picked up the new Sport Compact Car mag and I went to the facts a and rumours section.
The rumours is the 2008 Focus coupe will be a high performance model and it may be branded a Shelby. Think turbo and such.

Once again this is just a rumour...but it would be cool to see.
It would be cool and it would be a good boost for the Focus image for anyone interested in a coupe (which does not include me) and assuming Ford of Canada picks it up.

I was looking at the Dealer Order Guide the other day and kind of interesting that Ford of Canada is listing the coupe and the sedan at the same price ... IIRC $17,993 for the base model. If anyone's interested I can post details on Monday.

Unfortunately as of now the 2.3 isn't available at all for the 2008 Focus ... it would make sense that if they do go turbo they would simply pickup the Mazda 2.3T.

Canadian ST,Aug 25 2007, 01:57 PM Wrote:Ok so today I picked up the new Sport Compact Car mag and I went to the facts a and rumours section.
The rumours is the 2008 Focus coupe will be a high performance model and it may be branded a Shelby. Think turbo and  such.

Once again this is just a rumour...but it would be cool to see.
[right][snapback]247592[/snapback][/right]
hmm it's interesting news indeed.... hopefully they can make it look better looking then the ION look going on.
Well I sure hope they don't play with the suspension again! I hope it is the same as the 06+ models so there is some hope of having minor lowering options for my car.
I wouldn't count on it ... looks like quite a few changes beneath the skin according to Ford's website, including new suspension and brake components/

Ford media site Wrote:The Focus gets its great driving dynamics from a suspension setup that features MacPherson struts up front and an independent multilink design in the rear. The spring rates, dampers, stabilizer bars, and bushings are all new for 2008. Generally speaking, the spring rates were dropped and improvements to steering and handling were accomplished by careful tuning and increasing the size of the front stabilizer bar.

Engineers also derived unique tuning packages for vehicles equipped with 15-- or 16--inch wheels and tires. Models with 15--inch wheels and low--rolling resistance Hankook tires use a front stabilizer bar only. Models with 16--inch wheels and sporty, responsive Pirelli tires use front and rear stabilizer bars.

The revised chassis settings help improve steering feel and responsiveness over the previous Focus. Changes in body structure also help improve handling. The cross--car beam located beneath the instrument panel has been significantly stiffened for 2008. The steering column is mounted to this beam, which means minimal vibration in the steering wheel as Focus is driven over rough and uneven roads.

Focus gets an all--new brake system for 2008. New aluminum calipers save weight and improve brake pedal feel. The brakes are 10.9--inch vented discs in front and 11.0--inch drums in back with an available anti--lock braking system (ABS).

Canadian ST,Aug 25 2007, 05:21 PM Wrote:Well I sure hope they don't play with the suspension again! I hope it is the same as the 06+ models so there is some hope of having minor lowering options for my car.
[right][snapback]247606[/snapback][/right]
Sounds like they might actually be slowly ushering in the MKII focus platform, and this new car that you talked about might be the bridge between the two...

I bet it might have the Focus ST/Volvo C30 Drivetrain....
I wouldn't hold my breath on this. There was supposed to be a turbo version of the North American ST as well and that never panned out either. Face it guys, if it doesn't wear the running pony in the grill, Ford doesn't give a $hit about how fast it goes. Although I'm will to be proven wrong though as the MS6 is in its last year of production, possibly freeing up that powertrain for high performance (SVT?) Fusion....
It was my understanding that Ford planned to put the 3.5L Duratec in the Fusion if they make an ST version, and use that same engine, bored out to 3.8L in an SVT version, with the better part of 300hp...

Even the 260+hp Duratec 35 would be awesome in the Fusion...

Oh yeah, back on track...I think Ford might actually decide to build performance variant Foci again, as I'm sure there's no way their engineering and marketing staff haven't seen the collosal amount of modded Foci of every generation out on the street, on the track, and at car shows of all types...
It's the same as the PT Cruiser Turbo... a turd going faster only gets there quicker and still looks like a turd when it's parked.

Even if I'm N/A and a turbo 08 Focus goes by.... I'm still going to laugh my ass off.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 27 2007, 10:13 AM Wrote:It's the same as the PT Cruiser Turbo... a turd going faster only gets there quicker and still looks like a turd when it's parked.

Even if I'm N/A and a turbo 08 Focus goes by.... I'm still going to laugh my ass off.
[right][snapback]247681[/snapback][/right]
I gotta agree with Adam, the new coupe is ugly as $hit, even if it is fast its still ugly. Oh well maybe in 2011 it might look good again.