FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Why Is It?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my little town of Bowmanville, I have a choice of one Petro Canada, one Sunoco, one Pioneer and three Shell gas stations. I've tried to avoid the shell stations, but because of my own stupidity, I've had to use the Shell gas for the last couple of fill ups. I've noticed since then , the fuel consumption has increased and the idle is crap. Why is this so?
s***ty gas maybe...when is the last time your car saw a new fuel filter?
Here's another possibility...

I know that most of the Shell's I frequent now have at least some ethanol in their low (up to 10%) and mid grade (up to 5%) gas now and that my car ran like crap on toast with it (Not drivability wise but poorer mileage to be sure)

Maybe that's what you ran into? Only way to resolve it at a Shell is to buy 91 grade, which has no ethanol in it.

NefCanuck
Mine always ran fine on shell, infact I found my gas mileage didnt suffer using it compared to say, Esso.
Yeah I noticed that problem with certen gas stations in different citys, that resulted with either the car running bad or crappy mileage, it's why I avoid using those certen stations...

Only thing I can recommend is make a note of it, and avoid those Shell stations.
we had 2 cars come in after using gas from a shell station and the station owned up and said that there had been some water in the gas. i am pretty sure it was a pickering shell station but just be careful.
I know for a fact that Shell has 10% Ethanol in the Bronze, and 5% in Silver. The 91 from Shell doesn't have any Ethanol in it, and its all that I use and have ever used in my car. But I know the owner of the local Shell that I fill up and has reassured me that the fuel is fine.
i always thought that Shell is a respectable gas station company....i didn't know their gas is crap
There's only 3 gas stations I'll fill at, in order of trust and availability for the first two at that:

Esso, Shell, Sunoco. The rest can eat balls.
I've had great results from the Stinson & Son in Pembroke, as well as the Mackewn down near my gf's cottage. I buy gas for my truck at the Ultramar in Pet, and Shell for the car.

I notice that my car runs crappy when it's really humid and/or hot out. It's like it's being heat soaked or something, as I have a lot less power than when it's cool and dry out...
Drivesthebeast,Aug 28 2007, 08:05 AM Wrote:I notice that my car runs crappy when it's really humid and/or hot out.  It's like it's being heat soaked or something, as I have a lot less power than when it's cool and dry out...
[right][snapback]247772[/snapback][/right]

That's actually quite a normal reaction. Even race cars run better when the weather tunes colder because the air is cooler & denser which equals more HP per unit of fuel burned.

Cold air intakes lessen the problem because they draw air that is moving at a high rate of speed into the motor and is therefore cooler than the "standing air" temp within the engine compartment (which is why a short ram air intake is less effective as the temps rise versus a cold air intake)

NefCanuck
Yeah, the hot air combined with 87 Octane doesn't do so great during the summer with my car. Spring and fall though, it feels like I get 20-30hp back...kinda like when I drove my ZX3, and shut off the A/C...lol
oldeguy,Aug 23 2007, 08:32 AM Wrote:In my little town of Bowmanville, I have a choice of one Petro Canada, one Sunoco, one Pioneer and three Shell gas stations. I've tried to avoid the shell stations, but because of my own stupidity, I've had to use the Shell gas for the last couple of fill ups. I've noticed since then , the fuel consumption has increased and the idle is crap. Why is this so?
[right][snapback]247423[/snapback][/right]

Fact, gases that are higher in ethanol help keep your fuel system cleaner.
If you are using higher amounts of ethanol gas it will get some of the gunk out of your tank and engine. I HIGHLY recommened you change the fuel filter and PCV valve.

but you also burn more gas in an ethanol blend.