FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Leading In Initial Build Quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
from this MSN Autos article..

Quote:Vehicles from the Ford Motor Company were most successful in the latest Initial Quality Study (IQS) released by J.D. Power and Associates, taking the top spot in 5 of 19 vehicle categories. This is a major shift from the previous year, when Toyota dominated these quality awards.

Quote:"The 2007 IQS results contain some encouraging and positive news for Ford Motor Company," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. "Fourteen Ford Motor Company models place in the top three of their respective segments—an achievement unmatched by any other corporation this year—which is a testament to the improvement in quality for Ford Motor Company vehicle models and plants."
It's no suprise as Ford's Mercury and Lincoln brands have been gaing ground on Toyota, and Honda for the last 3 years, same with GM with Buick, Caddilac, & Saturn.

but reality is with all the studies to prove that a Domestic brand is better in quality is nothing with people still thinking negitively about all domestic brands as crappy & unreliable.
you're 100% correct Frost..that's why I see it as even more important to post information in the positive. Everyone can't stop thinking negatively about the NA brands, and really, that needs to stop.
This is obviously fantastic news for Ford ... but to put things into perspective it won't really mean much if the vehicles don't maintain this level of quality over the typical ownership period ... don't forget - this study is for initial quality only - basically the first 3 months.

Where Toyota has earned its reputation is over the long haul - a quality design and a quality build that results in fewer TGWs over a long period and the consequent increased resale value.

I'm not saying this isn't a great start for Ford - it is ... but the domestics still have a way to go before they can earn the kind of reputation Toyota's earned over the past 15-20 years.

Go Ford.

Frost__2001,Aug 19 2007, 12:51 PM Wrote:It's no suprise as Ford's Mercury and Lincoln brands have been gaing ground on Toyota, and Honda for the last 3 years, same with GM with Buick, Caddilac, & Saturn.

but reality is with all the studies to prove that a Domestic brand is better in quality is nothing with people still thinking negitively about all domestic brands as crappy & unreliable.
[right][snapback]247109[/snapback][/right]
Initial quality is virtually useless information. How long it lasts is what matters and I guarantee that a Toyota wil far outlast a Ford.

BTW I'll never own a Toyota. I bleed Ford blue.
bluetoy,Aug 21 2007, 08:24 AM Wrote:Initial quality is virtually useless information. How long it lasts is what matters and I guarantee that a Toyota wil far outlast a Ford.

[right][snapback]247247[/snapback][/right]
I'll give you that they may outlast a FORD. In the junk yard!

Have you seen the rust appearing ona Toyota near you? Take a look at one. I was amazed at how quickly rust starts to appear on a Toyota. It was a rust control sales rep that put me on to how bad Toyotas are for rusting. Now that I look at them a little more closely..........Holy Friggin Rust Buckets.
bluetoy,Aug 21 2007, 08:24 AM Wrote:Initial quality is virtually useless information. How long it lasts is what matters and I guarantee that a Toyota wil far outlast a Ford.

This is why I can't eat Cheerios around you guys... someone's always trying to piss in them :P ..

but you're right... it will be interesting to see which outlasts what for the 2007 model year. Just because a 20year old Toyota today outlasts it's NA competition, doesn't mean that it'll hold true for the current gen.
meford4u,Aug 21 2007, 06:38 PM Wrote:

I'll give you that they may outlast a FORD. In the junk yard!

Have you seen the rust appearing ona Toyota near you? Take a look at one. I was amazed at how quickly rust starts to appear on a Toyota. It was a rust control sales rep that put me on to how bad Toyotas are for rusting. Now that I look at them a little more closely..........Holy Friggin Rust Buckets.
[right][snapback]247304[/snapback][/right]

I have a friend with 2 Toyota corollas. 1994 and 1993. Both are nearly rust free. Both have nearly 400,000 km's on them. He doesn't even change the oil regularly. maybe twice a year. no krown or anything. I don't know. You can't seem to kill those corollas. I'll stick to my Fords though...

On the other hand, My inlaws have an 01 Focus SE Wagon. I have to say this car is the biggest POS ever built. 145,000 km's it has had the tranny rebuilt, rust all over it, about 4 sets of brakes and about 6 sets of rotors. Sway bar end links changed ever 6 months or so. Had to change a front spindle because the caliper bolts stripped on removal. A/C doesn't work... Again. Broken springs, struts and shocks replaced, 4 sets of rear wheel bearings, fuel pump. I know this because I am enlisted to fix it all the time.

I'd still rather a Focus than a Toyota....
I dont really care much about initial quality. Sure small problems with a new car will be annoying. But the real deal is long term reliability. ANd yeah, NA cars have a bad track record there.