FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Moving Again!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, one year almost exactly to the day, we're moving again. The job in Woodbridge didn't work out for me, and I had to move on. Surprisingly, the job market for Mechanical Engineers in Ontario is tight, on account of the s*** kicking manufacturing is taking from the high dollar.

I ended up taking a job outside of automotive. It... was a difficult decision. That's been my life for almost as long as I can remember. There were apparently lots of jobs available for me back in Detroit, but I just will not move back to that s***hole.

I got a promotion out of it anyway, Product Design Engineering Supervisor. So, I made the difficult step up to management. So far, I like it much more than I thought I would. Even though the product isn't the most interesting thing in the world. We ship to all over the world, even Pakistan and India, so I think there's some security in it.

My office also has a lake view of Lake Ontario. And I'm not talking "if you squint real hard and look between the smokestack and the condo". ;) I think maybe only Andrew can boast the same. ;)

The new job is in Cobourg, a real pretty town if you've never been to it. And have bought a spec. home in Brighton. A nice little town of 8000 on the shores of the lake. The new house is a 2000 sq.ft. bungalow, with a huge garage, and stairs from the garage directly down into the basement (workshop!). The lot is 68x213, so I'm very happy about it all. I sold my eternal soul the bank, but... oh well. This is pretty much "dream home" material for me. Nice size lot, but not "too" big. Great garage and workshop space, clean air, and no more 400 series commute. My drive in will be 30 minutes on highway 2, and I will encounter exactly ZERO lights.

Anyway, I'll be out there next week.
Congrats man! Post pics of the new house when you can!
I hope this isn't too rude of me asking, but how much is a place like that worth out in Brighton?
The reason I am curious is your house sounds very similar to what I have purchased in Aberfoyle(near Guelph).
My new home is 1800 sq. ft. bungalow on a 72X220. The lot alone is on a small 7 acre pond and I had to pay a $100k premium for the lot.
My house is going to set me back $535k when the upgrades are all said and done.
But I don't have a huge garage..........just a double 2 car garage attached to the house. And the stairs to the basement........kinda. But not from the garage. My house is on a lot where I will have a full walkout to the backyard from the basement with full windows at the rear of the house.
If I were to guess at your home price? And again, no insult.....in Brighton? $350k.
Exactly right on the price. And it's no insult, that's a chunk of change in any case. I'm sure glad it wasn't priced like around the GGHA. Because this is the first time I'm in a house where I really like it overall. I won't feel like I'm living in a jail cell. My kid can actually RUN in the back yard. I will be able to park all my cars on MY driveway. I will be able to get 2 cars in the garage PLUS stuff.

And that price is with a lot of upgrades built in. Hardwood throughout except the BDRMS, cherrywood cabinets with crown moulding, pot drawers, piano hinge corners, etc. 16x10 deck. Garden doors. Exterior pot lights. Smooth cieilings throughout. Sprinkler system. HRV system, AC. The garage isn't... super huge, 22x23. But it's wide enough to get two cars in the garage WITH stuff on the sides. Fully insulated and drywalled including insulated door. Double front doors with leaded window inserts. Fireplace with remote control, ceramic front glass, brick look back wall. Full brick. 5 3/4" mouldings. Stained oak railing with wrought iron railings. Large linen closest, broom closet, closet in the laundry/mud room.

The lot is wooded at the back. It backs onto a road allowance that will probably never be, at least not as planned. It could be redeveloped into more housing areas. There is a small pond at the back to the side of the yard.

The biggest thing though, that's hard to put a price on, is the workmanship is good quality. It doesn't feel like it was slapped together by monkeys with hammers.

I still think it's rediculously inflated at $350k, however. It's still a small house. My dad had a 4000ft. monster built in Quebec in 95 for $400k.
congrats on the new job. I drive to Belleville/kingston atleast once a week so i always pass by your city. i love both cites. Cobourg is really nice, but wait until winter time :) its right in the snow belt. Just make sure you have a good snow blower :)

My father-in-law is going to retire in couple of years and he wants to retire around that area as well. I told him Brighton or Port Hope is really nice. So let me know what you hink about the area in the long run.

Thanks MoMo
[Image: pointlesswithoutpictures.jpg]
Snowbelt? Really? That's not the impression I got talking to people. Not like Barrie. Everybody warned me that the world comes to an end in December in Barrie. It was never a big deal. I did end up getting a snow blower in Febuary. I just couldn't take any more.

I'm hoping a LOT of people want to retire to Brighton... cause I can't afford to lose money on a house again.

There is a nice fairly large beach in the provincial park (Presquile) just 3 minutes south of Brighton. I always thought of Brighton being a retirement community. Actually the people I know in Brighton are retired.

Cobough is also a nice little town also with a nice little beach. I stayed at a bed an breakfast in Cobourg that used to be the Cobourg jail. My room still had the jail cell bars separating the toilet from the rest of the room. We were there watching a friend in a play in the beautiful Victoria Hall.
Yep, Presqu'il will be just a bike ride away. Sandbanks not far either.

The population of Brighton is definitely aging. The population of old phogeys has gone up like 20% in 5 years, while the number of school children has gone down 10%. Something like that.
P-51,Aug 19 2007, 11: Wrote:Snowbelt?  Really?  That's not the impression I got talking to people.  Not like Barrie.  Everybody warned me that the world comes to an end in December in Barrie. It was never a big deal.  I did end up getting a snow blower in Febuary.  I just couldn't take any more.

I'm hoping a LOT of people want to retire to Brighton... cause I can't afford to lose money on a house again.
[right][snapback]247108[/snapback][/right]
Snow belt from Cobourg east, due to Rice Lake and Lake Ontario. I live in Bowmanville, just 20 minutes west of Cobourg. I can't count how many times I've heard of the 401 around Cobourg being bogged down due to snow. But, people I know swear that it doesn't matter, that living out there is the best place to be, so, it snows a little, don't go to work that day. :lol: