FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: A Renovatin' We Will Go, A Renovatin' We Will Go
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Apparently we found Kaindl One (Bourbon Oak) 8mm laminate flooring on at Home Deport for 87 cents / sq.ft. It's something they call a Host Sale, where corporate sends them new product to try out. Given that the special-order stuff I wanted was 3.69 / sq.ft, I figured what the hell and bought enough to do 2 bedrooms. I may go back and get some more so that all three bedrooms on the second floor have the same flooring.

It looks really nice and feels pretty "authentic" as well. If you're looking for laminate, you might want to go check this out.

Oh, and I bought a Mastercraft rollable 10" table saw. I guess we're knee-deep in renovations now at the house :D

There goes my excuse for not fixing up the rec room! :lol:

[Image: th_DSC_0008.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0007.jpg]
What!!!!

No more shag rug??? :o :lol:

Is the new flooring still in the package or is that the flooring installed?

Looks good (or it will look good.)
That's the living room the stuff's in... just got it home an hour ago or so.

The stuff in the wrapping will be considerably darker but a nice offset to what Sara has in mind for the bedrooms. I'm really thinking I'm going back for 6 more boxes tomorrow.

Yeah, that evicts most of the shag from the 2nd floor. After that, we'll have the 2nd floor hallway to consider. Then the stairs. :)
cant wait till I can do renovations on my place , think were gonna try get a place next summer we have been looking into duplexes ...
You won't regret it.
We put similar stuff in our living room and it works and looks great!

Especially witht the pooch.
ANTHONYD,Aug 18 2007, 05:16 PM Wrote:You won't regret it.
We put similar stuff in our living room and it works and looks great!

Especially witht the pooch.
[right][snapback]247048[/snapback][/right]
We? Whose we?

you mean me. And you helped a little :lol:

And you can't put laminate flooring on stairways. If your thinking of doing wood on the stairs, you had better be sitting down when they tell you how much per stair it is going to cost for real wood. I just laid down new carpet in the house and it cost me $18/stair for installation and carpet. Thew price for real wood(cherry) was $45-60 depending on the finished product. I have 28 stairs in my house. You do the math.
Looks like you got yourself one hell of a deal NOS

I'd do laminate or real wood in here but its a no-no b/c of noise concerns :(

NefCanuck
going to need a jig saw too.

and the reason why it was so cheap is cause its 8mm.
That'll look pretty good. AFAIK, laminate is supposed to be better for basements than real hardwood due to moisture.

FocusGuy7476,Aug 18 2007, 07:37 PM Wrote:going to need a jig saw too.

and the reason why it was so cheap is cause its 8mm.
[right][snapback]247054[/snapback][/right]

I was told that 6-7mm is commonplace stuff, 8mm is getting better and 10mm is really good, premium stuff. I felt some of the 10mm samples and it was tempting. But... when 10mm laminate is $5 / sq.ft. and up... I'll survive with 8mm :P

Jigsaw eh? *looks at his Dremel* :)

I've got a nice folding workbench too... I think we're all set. And by "we" I mean Sara as I'm going paintballing tomorrow with my brother-in-law tomorrow and a bunch of his friends. She's going to take a crack at doing it herself.

You guys have met her, you should know by now I won't even attempt to stop her. :)

By the end of the month, the entire 2nd floor will be pretty much redone, with the exception of the bathroom. That room only needs a partial refresher because the rampaging retard society hung wallpaper on 2 of the walls. Which is now peeling off and must die.

Bryan - I hadn't really sat down and figured out the stairs yet. All I know is that one way or another, they're changing :D Thanks for the heads-up on what you went through :D
Hay Adam quick tip, if your saw blade has less then 60 teeth on it tape the lines were you cut so it won't splinter when you cut them. Other then that that's stuff is a breeze. Just make sure if its going on concrete to use a under pad with vapour barrier.
fine tooth blades work the best for that, and you might want to get a dust mask when cutting that stuff, last time I did it I had green dust all over me and its not good stuff to breathe in.

8mm is the thinest that I have seen out here, its usually 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm that I see here.

where is your foam underlay, that part is key.
Sorry Bryan. :P

As for the stairs.

It's amazing how nice some of the burbur has come along these days.

And cheap too.
I just did my whole main floor in 12mm laminate. Scored it for $2.99 a foot. Went with the rubber underlay (@ 0$.60 a foot) and if feels like hardwood. None of the hollow sound of some laminates. My front lawn was green dust for a few days after... :D

A real-estate friend of mine told me not to bother with anything under 8mm unless you're going to flip the house right away. :)

Ryan
reldridge,Aug 20 2007, 10:30 AM Wrote:I just did my whole main floor in 12mm laminate. Scored it for $2.99 a foot. Went with the rubber underlay (@ 0$.60 a foot) and if feels like hardwood. None of the hollow sound of some laminates. My front lawn was green dust for a few days after... :D

A real-estate friend of mine told me not to bother with anything under 8mm unless you're going to flip the house right away. :)

Ryan
[right][snapback]247150[/snapback][/right]

Me to...well I did mine towards the end of winter...what a difference. Builder wanted a stoopid amount to do the main floor, I had it done for $1500, and 2 days labour. :D The 12mm stuff was nice, everybody that has seen/walked on my floor asks if its hardwood.

As soon as photobucket is back up, I'll post some pics....almost finsihed my deck to. :D

Next is a shed and finishing the man room (basement).

Adam....its changes the room so much, its amazing!

[Image: DSCF3165.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3189.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3167.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3194.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3168.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3190.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3170.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3193.jpg]

[Image: DSCF3195.jpg]
Nice Nate!

That looks identical to the stuff I was initially pricing out, albeit at 10mm.

What did you pay per square foot?

I'll post pics after we get the first room done. The paint's done now cause Sara's been at it like crazy, so now we've got to rip up the old underpadding and get the new underlay down and the floor.
Cant remember exactly, I think it was something like $3/sq foot...

With taxes, underlaying, 450 sq/ft of laminate, the instalation kit, came out to a little over $1500.

It was on sale to, i think it was close to $5/sq foot at regular price.
looks very nice, but next time before you take the whole house a part, make sure you mark where all your furniture goes. Once you finished the floors, the furniture is all in the wrong place from the pictures :)

Very nice work...

Puts me in the reno'ing mood myself, I have a kitchen & bathroom that I want to tackle.... with some C4 explosives to start with :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I think a chop saw would be your better option, unless you are going to be doing some future wood working.
Pages: 1 2