FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wiper Blade Motor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hay I need some help and advice on changing the wiperblade motor on my wife's 01 se. Is it straight forword? Does it take long? Is it better to get a done by a pro?
If someone would be willing to help me instal a new one I would pay them. Anyways let me know.
wasnt there a recal long time ago on those?
mo_focus,Aug 7 2007, 06:17 PM Wrote:wasnt there a recal long time ago on those?
[right][snapback]245992[/snapback][/right]

Im going to check it out, thanks for the heads up.
I priced a new motor at parts source $130, at Ford $425.
I might as well do the plugs and wires as well.
Can't help ya install, too far, but it's easy enough. About 1/2 hour should do it.

From my [cough]Chiltons[cough]: Almost word for word, cause I'm a nice guy..... :D

1, Discon Batt (or just pull wiper fuse I guess).
2, Remove Wiper Arms.
3, Release the cowl grille panel from just in front of the windshield, by prying off the caps and unscrewing the retaining screws.
4, Unclip the small stay from the firewall (and move it to one side), and disconnect the wiper motor multi-plug.
5, Unscrew the 3 mounting bolts securing the wiper motor and linkage to the firewall.
6, Withdraw wiper motor, complete with linkage, from the firewall.
7, Unclip the cover from the wiper motor, and mark the position of the motor arm on the mounting plate. Unscrew the center nut from the wiper motor spindle.
8, Remove the three securing screws, and separate the motor from the mounting plate.
9, If the linkages need to be moved, use a flat bladed screwdriver to lever the ball and sockets apart.
10, The wiper arm spindles can be removed by unclipping the snap-ring, then lift off the washer and slide the spindle from the wiper linkage.

Installation is a reversal of removal, noting these following points:

a, Tighten the wiper motor mounting bolts to specified torque (72in-lbs...I looked. And the wiper arm nuts are 18Ft-lb on the front).
b, Make sure the wiper motor is in its' 'parked' position before installing the motor arm, and check that the wiper linkage is in line with the motor arm.
c, When installing the wiper motor and linkage to the firewall, make sure the rubber grommet is in place to locate the wiper motor in the firewall.
d, Use a pair of pliers to press the ball and sockets firmly together.
e, Use grease to lubricate the wiper spindle and linkages when re-assembling.

There, NOW there is a write up. If you could add pictures as you do the job, it would be better!

Hope it helps ya.

Scorp