FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Threw My Back Out! Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Oh Jesus, I threw my back out yesterday morning chamging a headlight on my MG Midget. I stood up and have been locked in an old man position for 2 days now.

I have NEVER felt pain like this. I actually thought I was going to go blind when I did it.

I throw my back out really good once every few years and have always just let work itself out.

Does aniyone else here have back problems and whst do you usually do to remedy it????

Drugs,
Rubs,
Heat,
cold????

HELP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

:( :bowdown:
I don't take medication really... too easy to become reliant on it. But if the pain is excruciating you should take something. What I do (did this last night actually while watching a movie lol) is lay on the floor with a cushion only under my neck and put my feet straight up on a chair, this usually takes away any pain and with that condition there's not much you can do but sit/lay down and wait for the pain to subside anyway. Hope my plan works for ya, works for me every time.
Go see the chiropractor! Some heat would help a bit as well.

My bro locked his back up really good last year (he was just driving home from work) -- to the point where he had to call me to come over to carry him out of his truck and into the house because he couldn't get out.

A couple trips to the chiropractor and he was right as rain.

Remember when I really f***ed up my back in December (massive spasms at the in-laws Boxing Day)? I did the exact opposite to what I was told and at least it alleviated the pain/spasms - HEAT. A hot water bottle right at your lumbar to loosen everything up will get you mobile immediately.

And no Robaxicet on an empty stomach... that was a weird trip :blink:

PM me if you want more ideas, I'll give you a call.

EDIT - you're not on MSN. That's not a good sign :P

I tried to keep an angle between standing and a 90 degrees sitting angle... generally it was to the shallower (closer to standing) side of things. I found it made getting up a little easier if you popped yourself out of your seated position with your hands. When it got really bad, C.J. (brother-in-law) and Sara got a good workout helping me out of chairs, off the couch, etc. Ken's right about the "seek assistance for moving" thing.

Another thing to watch is the opposite muscles injury/strain that will follow this because your supporting/opposite muscles are already taking up the work your main lumbar/back muscles aren't doing.

Once you're able to move freely after the heat, do tiny stretches for all your core muscles to work them out.

Muscle relaxants didn't really work for me at all when I was locked up / spasming bad, but they may work for you.

A lot of guys told me I was nuts, heating a thrown-out back because the back muscles are (apparently) inflamed. Well, following their logic I should have been pooched beyond belief. Maybe try a tiny bit of cold (frozen peas, something you can remove immediately - NO RUBS) and a bit of hot and see what has more of an immediate, positive effect. Trust me, you'll know. :ph34r:
Been there, done that ... if you're like me, then the problem is a muscle that's basically in perma-cramp - which is painful enough in itself, but doubly painful if it's also compressing a nerve at the same time.

What you want to do is get the muscle to stop cramping and reduce swelling. No movement is good ... cold is good ... meds that include a muscle relaxant are good - I use the cheapo Costco generic and they work great. If you experience cramping of other muscles, especially leg muscles, you may want to consider supplementing your potassium.

A chiropractic manipulation won't do much unless it includes a deep muscle massage to loosen it up. My theory on that btw, is that the massage is so painful that your prior problem doesn't feel so bad ... but I'm usually very cynical when laid up with a bad back.

Two positions work good for me to help relax my back:

On the back, legs slightly raised and supported under the knees ... don't move.

On the side, legs slightly bent, something firm between the knees to keep the hips slightly spread ... a small sofa cushion, or firm pillow does the trick here.

I prefer the side position because I can more comfortably put an ice pack on there and I can change sides when I feel like it ... but the idea is to avoid quick movement ... get someone to help you move.

I know what this is like, so I sort of "feel your pain" ... best of luck. Cheers.

ANTHONYD,Aug 6 2007, 09:22 AM Wrote:Oh Jesus, I threw my back out yesterday morning chamging a headlight on my MG Midget. I stood up and have been locked in an old man position for 2 days now.

I have NEVER felt pain like this. I actually thought I was going to go blind when I did it.

I throw my back out really good once every few years and have always just let work itself out.

Does aniyone else here have back problems and whst do you usually do to remedy it????

Drugs,
Rubs,
Heat,
cold????

HELP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

:(  :bowdown:
[right][snapback]245825[/snapback][/right]
I would try alternating hot and cold.
I like to use Myoflex extra strength.
I have the same issue every couple of years and I regularly visit a chiropractor.
What works for me? Robaxacet platinum.
Other than that, try using a cold pack for the first 3-4 days and then use heat. You can even alternate between the two.
It's just rest that gets my back back into working order. But I won't kid you. It's going to take the better part of a week or longer to get better.

Best of luck.
For right now, take a muscle relaxant, and a pain killer. Use cold packs and heat alternating, for a couple of days, then heat once you can move a little more. See a Chiropractor, ASAP, and a registered massage therapist. Don't say no to acupuncture either. It works!
ANTHONYD,Aug 6 2007, 09:22 AM Wrote:Drugs

[right][snapback]245825[/snapback][/right]

B) yup
Immediate relief is heat, you want stuff to loosen up, cold will cause shrinkage & tightening...

Long term? See a chiropractor regularly. Hell that and regular exercise are the only two reasons I'm not confined to a wheelchair at this point...

NefCanuck
Drove out to dad's today and plopped into the hot tub at about 86 degrees. I feel a little better. Dad showed me soem stretches to do that work for him, I can feel it loosening up already.

I've been in a VERY still position most of the day.
Back injuries are murder.
Just take it easy Anthony, nothing helps like time and relaxation...

That's why the Focus at stock ride height appeals to me, even after you throw out your back, you can still get in and out without needing the jaws of life :P

NefCacnuck
oldeguy,Aug 6 2007, 03:28 PM Wrote:For right now, take a muscle relaxant, and a pain killer. Use cold packs and heat alternating, for a couple of days, then heat once you can move a little more. See a Chiropractor, ASAP, and a registered massage therapist. Don't say no to acupuncture either. It works!
[right][snapback]245863[/snapback][/right]

What about those Asian foot masseuses where they stand on your back and stomp you to death? :lol:
Too late for heat. Ice would be best for now (bag of frozen peas) and lay on the floor with it under you for 10 min every hour for until pain is reduced.
Stay away from any Chiropractor unless you want to be visiting them for the next few years or longer. Sport physiotherapist would be my best suggestion. Advil extra strength worked best for my pain.
When I killed my back I could barely walk and I was barely able to drive the SVTF 6speed home having to lift and push that damn clutch (back effected everything from there down and my lower torso was 6 inches to the right of center).
Real back pain is the worst! Best of luck.
CanadaSVT,Aug 6 2007, 11:29 PM Wrote:Too late for heat.  Ice would be best for now (bag of frozen peas) and lay on the floor with it under you for 10 min every hour for until pain is reduced.
Stay away from any Chiropractor unless you want to be visiting them for the next few years or longer.  Sport physiotherapist would be my best suggestion.  Advil extra strength worked best for my pain.
When I killed my back I could barely walk and I was barely able to drive the SVTF 6speed home having to lift and push that damn clutch (back effected everything from there down and my lower torso was 6 inches to the right of center).
Real back pain is the worst!  Best of luck.
[right][snapback]245901[/snapback][/right]
Treat your body like a car, every so often it needs a tune up, so Chiro and massage are what's need, drugs mask the injury. A good chiro will give you exercises and stretches.
Well woke up this morning and we felt "okay"

By the time I drove to the station, got on the train, pushed my way through Union station, amd got on the subway I could feel it tightening up.

Now I'm hunched over ready for a busy day at work.

:lol:

wish me luck.
lol.
ANTHONYD,Aug 7 2007, 09:24 AM Wrote:Well woke up this morning and we felt "okay"

By the time I drove to the station, got on the train, pushed my way through Union station, amd got on the subway I could feel it tightening up.

Now I'm hunched over ready for a busy day at work.

:lol:

wish me luck.
lol.
[right][snapback]245926[/snapback][/right]
Trip over the carpet! Everytime you feel it get stiff, (your back), take sometime to stretch. Make an appointment with a Massage Therapist, and a Chiropractor today. You spend money on your car to make it run properly, spend it on yourself to do the same.