FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Replacing Axle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm probably going to be replacing the right axle soon and am wondering how hard it is to do, and how much time is needed for the job. Any special tools required?
Beer for the skinned knuckles and bashed fingertips that inevitably come with driveline fun :lol:

Seriously, I'm not too sure what you'd need besides an impact / breaker bar, torque wrench and Henry Ford's assortment of sockets and wrenches.

To be fair, I haven't replaced one just yet in the Focus and I likely won't have to for a while.

Do you have a shop manual or Chilton's that lists all the torquing specifications for the car?
I removed my passenger side, it wasn't too hard. Well I just dropped the knuckle and pulled the whole deal out, removed it just for clearance to tap my engine skirt.

do you have the ford tech cd?
hardk0re,Aug 3 2007, 08:35 AM Wrote:I removed my passenger side, it wasn't too hard.  Well I just dropped the knuckle and pulled the whole deal out, removed it just for clearance to tap my engine skirt.

do you have the ford tech cd?
[right][snapback]245585[/snapback][/right]
No, no Ford Tech CD. As you know, I have a busy schedule, and this weekend is out to fix it. Next weekend too, unless I bring the part and the tools to the BBQ :lol: I'm going to talk to my neighbour, see if he has a couple of hours Thursday. I don't think it would take that long
I use an impact hammer with a rounded bit at the end and hammer em out. takes no time. B)
If you want to stop by I can give you a ford tech cd, that may help witht he how-to part...
hardk0re,Aug 3 2007, 10:42 AM Wrote:If you want to stop by I can give you a ford tech cd, that may help witht he how-to part...
[right][snapback]245603[/snapback][/right]
Thanks, I would appreciate it. I had to do one on my Regal, because the ball joint broke, so it was half off anyhow, but, every car is different, and I need to do this as quick as possible. I'll send you a PM to arrange pick up.
i think the difficulty depends on how much corrosion your car has.. when i tried it on a rusty gsr i found it was easiest to unbolt the lower control arm where it attaches to the car, rather than try to get the castle nut off the lower ball joint.. and then it was a huge biatch to get the axles detached from the tranny. i wish i had an air hammer!

good luck!