FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Range Of Keyless Entry Keyfob
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have always (yes, even with new batteries) had really poor range with my remotes. Both with new batteries can lock/unlock the doors at around 4-6 feet, and after a while it may only work when I'm within a foot of the car.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same? Is there an adjustment or fix?
Weird, my fobs react from at least 20 feet away :blink:

Only two possibilities, bad fobs or a bad receiving unit in the car itself and short of you buying a third fob to test, I dunno how else you can eliminate one or the other.

NefCanuck
the year might have something to do with it?

my 00 and 01 were crappy as well. but my 03 works from 20Ft as well. Sometime it works from so far that by the time i get to the car it locks itself again :)
I always thought my 20 to 25 foot range sucked - guess it's not too bad.

My wife's '04 ZTW has the factory remote start and the range is awesome - I can start it from my second floor office through the window and with the car at the edge of the parking lot which is 400 feet away.

We've even started it from inside the movie theatre without windows or line of sight and probably 200 to 250 feet.

But then again it comes with its own antenna which is fixed to the inside of the windshield just behind the mirror.

I've been told that cars that are undercoated tend to have reduced range for the remote.

Of course ... you could always use your skull

skippy,Jul 25 2007, 05:13 PM Wrote:I have always (yes, even with new batteries) had really poor range with my remotes. Both with new batteries can lock/unlock the doors at around 4-6 feet, and after a while it may only work when I'm within a foot of the car.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same? Is there an adjustment or fix?
[right][snapback]244866[/snapback][/right]
i wonder if you could do the same mod that i had done with VW golf/jetta. if you can find where the remote reciver is you can just add wires to extend the range.
skippy,Jul 25 2007, 05:13 PM Wrote:I have always (yes, even with new batteries) had really poor range with my remotes. Both with new batteries can lock/unlock the doors at around 4-6 feet, and after a while it may only work when I'm within a foot of the car.

Well I have only 5-8 foot range with my remote. Its a brand new car and it sucks! When I had an Escape for a couple of weeks (waiting for my car) the range was at least 40-50 feet. I dont understand why its so low onmy Focus?
mine is '02 and i have a crappy range as well

'99 Taurus has amazing range
on my first Focus the range was about 100 feet, and on this focus it's 10 - 15 feet away, and if I'm at the back of the car trying to open the trunk with remote I have to raise my hand over the trunk and roof line and only then will it unlock, but the trunk will unlock only with-in 5 feet away from any other angle.
Glad to see I'm not the only one. My range is about 10-15 feet for doors, 2 feet for the trunk.

In my 2004 Freestar, the range is about 50 feet. Is it really that different between the two?

Ryan
on the altima I drive right now has a range of almost 150 yards.
On the 2001 - 10 feet or less for all functions.

On the 2007 - 50-60 feet at best. No less than 25-30 feet unless line-of-sight is completely blocked.
Maybe, just maybe, Ford was thinking about a persons safety when they gave the Focus such a small range. The further away you are from your vehicle, the more of a chance of someone either stealing your car, or getting in your car and attacking you? Just a thought.

My 02 worked from like 20feet. The 00 I got now is funny. Some times I get all the way upto the car before it unlocks.
:lol:
Its a new fob to.
Mines less then 10 ft. Annoying really. The girlfriends 08 escape seems limitless lol
focus dont have range like any other ford my brother in law has driven everything from a focus , escape to a mustang and all had better ranges than the focus.