FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Finally Did It!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ford to import C1 platform cars to N.A.
July 24, 2007
Source: Leftlane news

Ford has long been keeping its highly engineered C1 platform vehicles away from North America, citing production cost concerns, but a new directive from CEO Alan Mulally means that Euoropean-designed Ford small cars will be sold in the U.S. soon.

The original Ford Focus was nearly identical to its European stablemate. But in late 2004, Europe (and eventually much of the rest of the world) received an updated Focus based on an all new platform codenamed C1. Enthusiast publications world-wide praised the platform, which was designed by together Ford, Mazda and Volvo. When the '08 Focus was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, it was revealed that it was simply a warmed-over version of the outgoing Focus, not a model based on the all new platform.

Ford said that the platform was simply too expensive to produce efficiently for North America, a comment that was immediately questioned since the Mazda3, a vehicle priced competitively with the Focus, is sold in the U.S.

Automotive News reports that Ford's CEO Mulally has given the official order to import at least two European-designed Fords in the near future. The C1-based Focus, as well as the new C-Max crossover, are expected to arrive in North American showrooms "no later than 2011."

The two vehicles will be produced in North America - likely at the Focus plants in Mexico and Wayne, Mich., rather than being imported from European production facilities. Previously, Ford had said that the C1 platform would be too costly to produce in North America.

The industry publication is also reporting that the Escape will likely be replaced by a second-generation version of the Ford Kuga crossover.

I like Alan Mulally, he's doing a good job
2011? man that's soo far away! buut by then I think I will be ready for a new car at least! it's gonna be tough to stretch my ride from now till then!!!
YES!!!!!! Just in time for retirement!
Now we'll see who steps up.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 24 2007, 07:03 AM Wrote:Now we'll see who steps up.
[right][snapback]244686[/snapback][/right]
By the time we get it, most guys here will either be into the german market or drivin' the wifes' minivans. Me, now I've got something to save my money for.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 24 2007, 07:03 AM Wrote:Now we'll see who steps up.
[right][snapback]244686[/snapback][/right]

2011 is far away. I'll be buying another car way before then.
^^^ Ditto.
I'll be on to something nicer by then I hope.

Not to mention.... I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:
ANTHONYD,Jul 24 2007, 09:03 AM Wrote:^^^ Ditto.
I'll be on to something nicer by then I hope.

Not to mention.... I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]244692[/snapback][/right]

X3 here... and maybe something bigger for me.
Then I guess the point has been made. We can stop whining about the C1 now. Nobody's really interested. ;)
OAC_Sparky,Jul 24 2007, 10:11 AM Wrote:Then I guess the point has been made. We can stop whining about the C1 now. Nobody's really interested. ;)
[right][snapback]244702[/snapback][/right]

I'm VERY interested, I'll be looking at the Mazda and Volvo soon enuff. ;)

Aint my fault somebody is SLOW.
OAC_Sparky,Jul 24 2007, 10:11 AM Wrote:Then I guess the point has been made. We can stop whining about the C1 now. Nobody's really interested. ;)
[right][snapback]244702[/snapback][/right]
I'm interested. I'll still be young enough to drive it like it should be.
By the time it comes out (remember, Mulally said BY 2011, not for 2011), I will be ready to replace the current Focus with a new commuter car that will be able to carry myself, the wife, and a toddler and probably a car seat for another baby. The C1 Focus should fit the bill nicely.

Ryan
I never thought it would happen, but now by the time we get the C1 focus won't Europe be on the next generation (C2?)? I guess better late than never and certainly better than what they are calling the '08 focus IMO.
reldridge,Jul 24 2007, 10:31 AM Wrote:By the time it comes out (remember, Mulally said BY 2011, not for 2011), I will be ready to replace the current Focus with a new commuter car that will be able to carry myself, the wife, and a toddler and probably a car seat for another baby. The C1 Focus should fit the bill nicely.

Ryan
[right][snapback]244709[/snapback][/right]
I've had three young adults plus all their gear, after a year in college, come down from Ottawa to Bowmanville, not a short trip, and everyone was comfortable, actually saying there was a lot of room in the back. mind you, they aren't giants, but not midgets either. Unless you've got a huge family, or have to tow the yacht, I'm thinking the Focus, especially the CDan and the wagon, is an exceptional choice for a reasonably priced vehicle.
SVT ZX3,Jul 24 2007, 10:33 AM Wrote:I never thought it would happen, but now by the time we get the C1 focus won't Europe be on the next generation (C2?)? I guess better late than never and certainly better than what they are calling the '08 focus IMO.
[right][snapback]244710[/snapback][/right]
I did some reading on Ford's global site, giving some more information on the 2008. I agree, it doesn't look the greatest, and the horsepower isn't as good assome other vehicles, but, it's got more than mine, the exhaust is going to have less backpressure, the suspension sounds like an improvement, so maybe there's some hope for it.
late as usual.............I think a couple of people already said this "I'll believe it when I see it".

With Fords past record on heiring and firing CEO's, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy got fired and the Euro program got scraped.
Well, by then assuming I'm still roadworthy, the 2011 Focus will be on my list.

Now if they can bring over that hardtop convertable Focus design, I will own it, even if I have to rob a few banks to do it :D

NefCanuck
Well, I have about 100,000 km on my daily driven 2000 ZX3 now. So by 2011 I should be at about 160,000 km. It should be about ready to trade in for a new 2011 C1 platform focus. :lol:
In 2011, I may just treat myself to my second new car... and second new Focus. The more I drive bigger stuff lately (this week's rental being a 2007 Mazda 6 2.3L with 5AT), the more I miss my 2007 Focus each time.
Pages: 1 2