FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Planet Ford - Same Planet, Different World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you know my profession is communications and inherent to what I do is a requirement for precision and accuracy when it comes to language. I try my best to understand that not everyone has the same sensibilities in this regard; however it is sometimes very difficult to simply ignore stupid stuff.

Having said that … I’m quite sure that any member of this board would have had the same conversation I had this morning at the parts counter at Planet Ford (a.k.a. Bramview).

ME: (reading sign posting special price for rotors for “all 04-06 Focus”) … “Hey, that’s a really good price … may I assume it’s for ’05 to ’06 models?”

RYPG (really young parts guy): “No sir … as the sign says, 2004 to 2006 Focus.”

ME: “Hmmm … okay, are they the bigger Focus rotor, or the smaller ones.”

RYPG (beginning to show signs of frustration): “What year is your Focus sir … it goes by VIN but I’m sure they’re all the same size anyway.”

ME: (calmly, always the consummate professional): “Actually Ford increased Focus rotor diameter by approximately 1 inch beginning with the ’05 model year … so if these are the bigger rotors, they most certainly won’t fit a stock 2004 Focus.”

RYPG (still frustrated, now with sarcasm): “Oh really … well, let’s just take a look, shall we. (with a flourish, enters the part number into the computer) … there now, please tell me sir what that says (pointing to screen).

ME: “It looks like a range of production dates to me.”

RYPG (smugly, sarcasm dripping to a puddle on the floor now): “That’s right sir … and as you can plainly see the first date is in 2004.”

ME (patiently, same way I talk to my 7 year old): “Ah … well based on those production dates, and given the very early launch of the ’05 Focus (February 05 IIRC), it seems pretty clear to me that those Focus built in 2004, are in fact ’05 models. May I suggest that the vast majority of consumers identify their vehicle by model year and not by production date – and so perhaps you should change the sign to read ’05 to ’06 Focus, or simply list the production dates and then really confuse the heck out of everyone.”

RYPG (frustrated and now a little p!ssed, but not so sure of himself): “Based on what I see here I’m pretty sure there’s no need to change the sign … but whatever … we always ask for the VIN.”

ME: “Yeah, I understand that the VIN will match to the right part … but you do understand that within the VIN is a character that identifies the model year, and I can assure you that no 2004 model VIN will match to this part … and since this is a walk in special, what about the guy who doesn’t have the VIN? Doesn’t it make more sense to correctly identify the model years when you can?”

RYPG (full out angry now): “Fine … I really am too busy to argue with you (rips the sign down) … I hope you’re satisfied now.”

ME (still calm, actually somewhat amused by the petulance): “Satisfied? … I was just trying to clarify which rotors are on sale so I could correctly tell my online friends about them. It never was about me.”

RYPG (vein now throbbing on side of his neck): “Great … you just tell your friends then. Have a nice day.” (turns and retreats to inner sanctum of the parts department, leaving me alone at the counter).

ME (talking to his distant back, just a hint of sarcasm): “You too.”

Planet Ford walk-in parts special – 4SZ,1125 rotors for 05-06 model years, (since replaced with upgraded rotors part number 7SZ) … 71.25 each.
So, I won't buy parts from that dealer, not that they would fit.......
wow that is a good price!
I'd rather have the upgraded rotors than have to deal with a brain surgeon like that :blink:

BTW - My 05 Focus actually has a production date on the doorjamb of Sept '04

NefCanuck
Yeah, me too.

But if anyone wants a set of the Planet Ford rotors let me know and I can pick them up for you.

Did you install your new brakes yet Daniel?

NefCanuck,Jul 18 2007, 12:29 PM Wrote:I'd rather have the upgraded rotors than have to deal with a brain surgeon like that :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]244298[/snapback][/right]
ZTWsquared,Jul 18 2007, 12:56 PM Wrote:Yeah, me too.

But if anyone wants a set of the Planet Ford rotors let me know and I can pick them up for you.

Did you install your new brakes yet Daniel?

NefCanuck,Jul 18 2007, 12:29 PM Wrote:I'd rather have the upgraded rotors than have to deal with a brain surgeon like that :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]244298[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]244303[/snapback][/right]

Yep, thanks go to Burnin21 for the help (actually he did most of the work, I just handed him tools :P)

Y'know considering I just had a "brake inspection" done by Ford, I was pretty mad at what we found when we tore things down.

The right side brake rotor actually had a piece of the rotors surface gouged out (There's no way it happened in the two weeks after the inspection, the area gouged out was not fresh)

The caliper pins on both sides were nearly bone dry and had junk on the ends that had to be taken off before the anti seize could be put on when putting things back together :blink:

I'm not sure how to respond when they call to ask me about whether I was happy with the service now. I mean at the time and up until I had the pads & rotors swapped I would have said yes, not knowing what I know now. I'm not sure how to answer at this point "Well, I had the pads & rotors upgraded and found out that the 'brake inspection' was done at a level I could have met"

NefCanuck
Great price! Will these rotors fit our 2004 ZTW?
:lol:
Y'know, there IS a reason why they keep certain people behind a parts counter and out of the service bay. ;)
I feel your pain, the sales department isn't "on the ball" either when it comes to product knowledge. Simple key questions like : What engine does it have?
Whats options does the vehicle come with, all were returned with shoulder shrugs and comments of "I dunno" but gimme a couple of minutes and I'll be back. Needless to say those 2 minutes turned into 15 when I caught the guy having a smoke out near the service bays.

He then and only then seemed interested when he saw me heading for my car.

All in all not all sales people are like that BUT come on when you have a potential sale on the "hook" don't walk away thinking I'll wait all day!
yeah I'm not a fan of Bramview / Planet Ford anymore, when I have my car serviced in brampton it's usually at Colony, people know me their and I never had an issue with the people.