FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: J.d. Power: Hybrid Interest Dwindling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
J.D. Power: Hybrid interest dwindling
July 17, 2007
Source: Leftlane News

Despite increases in the price of gas in the last few months, it appears that fewer and fewer consumers are putting vehicles with hybrid powertrains on their shopping list. According to industry experts J.D. Power, consumers with interested in hybrids dropped from 57 percent in 2006 to 50 percent for the early summer months in '07, a significant figure for such a short period of time..

The study, which was conducted during May and June '06 and again in the same period of '07, found that, despite gas still hovering around $3.00 U.S. per gallon, consumer interest in hybrids has dropped.

The study did find that more and more consumers are putting diesel cars on their lists, however. In '06, just 12 percent of buyers were looking at diesels; now, nearly twice as many, 23 percent, have diesels on their shopping lists. Interestingly, the number of diesel cars on the new car market has dropped since then. The Volkswagen Jetta TDI, one of the biggest volume diesel cars in the U.S., didn't meet 2007 regulations. Volkswagen will be introducing a 50-state diesel car shortly. Jeep offered a diesel Liberty in '06; it didn't meet the '07 regulations, but a diesel Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes-Benz-developed engine was released in Spring '07.
Hybrids have been proven to be not as effective as people are led to believe. Toyota got nailed exaggerating Prius mileage claims by nearly 25%, real world results nowhere matched the advertised mileage. On top of that, it has been shown that hybrids are on average less environmentally friendly than gasoline cars; some actually emit more pollutants in their exhaust, and then add to that the environmental damage caused in battery production. etc.

Until hybrid technology drops in price (by a lot), you can buy a lot of extra gas for the difference in price between a hybrid and its non-hybrid counterpart. Which is the primary motivation to buy a hybrid -- cost. Why spend $2000-$4000 more for a car to only save $1500 in gas over the life of the car?

I want my Focus TDI!!!, like the rest of the world.
oldeguy,Jul 18 2007, 01:22 PM Wrote:I want my Focus TDI!!!, like the rest of the world.
[right][snapback]244269[/snapback][/right]

Its actually TDii, i think VW got the trademark on TDI, so the focus had to use TDii :(
mo_focus,Jul 18 2007, 10:39 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jul 18 2007, 01:22 PM Wrote:I want my Focus TDI!!!, like the rest of the world.

Its actually TDii, i think VW got the trademark on TDI, so the focus had to use TDii :(
[right][snapback]244283[/snapback][/right]
Sorry, I want my Focus TDii!!!
hybrids are more about making a statement than actual savings.. for tree hugging people its like buying a rolex.. you pay a premium to make a statement. that's why prius sells so sell, cuz its only available as a hybrid.. the other cars are hybrid versions of normal cars. .and the statement isn't as strong. i can't find the study i got that info from sorry

as for diesels.. this is more like it http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/news.php?sid=167&page=1

or

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Research/article.as...umentid=1119796
Audi and BMW, too rich for my blood. Ford sells diesels everywhere but here.
oldeguy,Jul 18 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:
mo_focus,Jul 18 2007, 10:39 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]244283[/snapback][/right]
Sorry, I want my Focus TDii!!!
[right][snapback]244287[/snapback][/right]

It's TDDi ( smaller diesel )
&
TCDi ( larger diesel )
Whichever one it is, it would be great for me if Ford brought over it's Diesel Focus
Audi V12 TDI engine puts most of the big three's diesel engine to shame stock of stock. Now you tune that V12 just like any other diesel engine and you you'll have over 1000 lbs-ft.