FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Happens If You Drive Behind A 747?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this while bouncing around YouTube... the results speak for themselves

Results of driving behind a 747 at takeoff velocity

NefCanuck
Well, I was gonna try that...guess I wont now :lol: :lol: :ph34r:
seen it before pretty cool
So....... I guess I better lower the Focus, you never know when a 747 is gonna go by........ :blink:
Looks like the guys on Mythbusters screwed the pooch when they did their experiment (and pretty sure called it busted).
It's common sense, really, when you consider that the plane can be fully loaded, rip down a runway and take off.

The fact that they cruise at 550+ MPH is also a bit of a tip-off ;)
they should have used a F18 hornet and roasted ford marsmallows
Funny funny stuff.
Believe it or not, planes leave a "wake" of turbulent air that lasts up to two minutes after the plane goes by. When I have to land at Hamilton International I have to be mindful of the Westjets and such; what their lift-off/touch down point is (that's the spot where the wake is most concentrated) so that I don't run into it with my smaller plane. It's invisible, and it'll flip your plane no problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_turbulence
I think what was more shocking to me was watching the Citroen 2CV just get absolutley pummled by the engines wake(Even moreso than the Ford Mondeo)

I mean I know the effects of aerodynamics but whoa... :ph34r:

NefCanuck
torradan,Jul 11 2007, 07:11 AM Wrote:Looks like the guys on Mythbusters screwed the pooch when they did their experiment (and pretty sure called it busted).
[right][snapback]243690[/snapback][/right]

They did a Mythbusters segment on this? :blink: The only one I can recall involving a jet plane was the time they were trying to duplicate the effect of blowing out a cabin window at altitude to see what actually happened (IE: whether the roof peeled back or the window when blown out sucked everything out) that one was busted...

NefCanuck
torradan,Jul 11 2007, 12:11 PM Wrote:Looks like the guys on Mythbusters screwed the pooch when they did their experiment (and pretty sure called it busted).
[right][snapback]243690[/snapback][/right]

when did mythbuster try that? idiots :)

this is an actual safety video that was done back in 1993.

http://www.judetuben.se/watch?v=TyMGLjo6Oj...related&search=

its actually done with a truck.