FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Canadians Buying U.s. Cars In Record Numbers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Canadians buying U.S. cars in record numbers
July 10, 2007
Source: Canadiandriver.

Toronto, Ontario - With the Canadian dollar hovering around the 94-cent mark, Canadians are buying cars from the U.S. in record numbers, says the North American Automobile Trade Association (NAATA). Last year, Canadians imported 112,826 vehicles from the U.S., an increase of 55 per cent over the previous year.

Canadians buy American cars primarily for their lower prices, and because they can purchase cars not otherwise available in Canada. As consumers have become aware of the savings and increased product choice, they are specifically asking for American imports.

"The advantages of buying U.S. cars right now are endless," says Stephen Bulyovsky, co-owner of Canadian Auto Associates Ltd. in Guelph, Ontario. "A 10 per cent price difference between countries may not seem like a lot, but on a $100,000 Porsche, that is a $10,000 savings. That's attractive mathematics to anyone buying a car."

Bulyovsky also says that some options and even entire vehicles brands are not available in Canada, such as the Scion, which Toyota does not market in Canada. "It's pretty cool to own a car that no one else has," Bulyovsky says. "We've sold more than 100 Scions to Canadians so far and are having a hard time keeping up with the demand."

I'm not surprised....I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used Viper. here they go for 40-50K CDN for a 94-96 with 100k or under...

In the states, you can pick them up for $35k USD. :blink:

Another example...

Mazda 3 speed. Here in Canada it starts out at 31K CDN, in the states, 23K USD, thats a huge difference even with the exchange rate (which works out to about 24-25K CDN for a brand new MS3)
A buddy of mine bought his 2006 STi in Rochester and saved a pile over what the local Subie dealer wanted.

If it ever comes down to a higher-ticket car, that's what I'd do to. I feel bad doing that to local folks with their jobs here, but when FoMoCo and others are screwing us to the tube of 10-20% or more... why not?
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 10 2007, 03:15 PM Wrote:A buddy of mine bought his 2006 STi in Rochester and saved a pile over what the local Subie dealer wanted.

If it ever comes down to a higher-ticket car, that's what I'd do to. I feel bad doing that to local folks with their jobs here, but when FoMoCo and others are screwing us to the tube of 10-20% or more... why not?
[right][snapback]243633[/snapback][/right]

If Im saving 10K on a new car, I could honestly care less who Im screwing.
Question though, wouldn't insurance and parts for a car not sold in Canada be a hassle? :unsure:

I can see mail order for parts but the insurance company is just as likely to pitch a fit and refuse to insure a car that isn't sold here (repair/replacement costs being the issue)

NefCanuck
you guys make up for expensive cars with cheap real estate don't complain too much :)
Especially with the dollar rising its hard not to resist. I've been looking at 03-04 SVT Cobras and can't help but wonder why I would pay approximately $35k CDN when I could take a short drive south and find one for $25k USD. IIRC there is an extra duty on anything not made in the US though so if any one was thinking STi or 350Z there would be a slight extra hit.
SVT ZX3,Jul 10 2007, 05:00 PM Wrote:Especially with the dollar rising its hard not to resist. I've been looking at 03-04 SVT Cobras and can't help but wonder why I would pay approximately $35k CDN when I could take a short drive south and find one for $25k USD. IIRC there is an extra duty on anything not made in the US though so if any one was thinking STi or 350Z there would be a slight extra hit.
[right][snapback]243644[/snapback][/right]

yeah your right...theres a lot of info about it on the mto website...

Quote:Question though, wouldn't insurance and parts for a car not sold in Canada be a hassle?

depends what your buying really.

A mazda3speed is a mazda3speed, I dont see a problem with parts or insurance in this case. From what I've read you will need the French/English signs installed for certain things, daytime running lights, and thats pretty much it, I think :unsure: . I mean we all buy performance parts that are probably designed on US cars, right?

Now if your ordering in a 1989 Skyline from the states, then yeah, parts and insurance will be harder to accomplish.
When your thinking about buying a car from the states, get the vin from the owner.

call your insurer and they will tell you whether or not that car can be registered and insured here.

Trust me. My next car is coming from the US.

It really only makes it worth while when the car is over $35k CAN$$$ brand new.
Then your atleast saving $5k after taxes and transport. It becomes "worth the hastle".
The best vehicles right now to import and with huge savings over their Canadian counterpart is the Acura MDX. You can easily save $12-15k on a 2-3 year old vehicle.
GTO here I come. :D
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 10 2007, 09:03 PM Wrote:GTO here I come. :D
[right][snapback]243665[/snapback][/right]

The current GTO is one of the american vehicles that you can't import. :( Trust me i've checked, cuz if i could bring one up i'd be all over that already.
I don't want to say this...but, I guess I should. What happened to supporting our own economy. if were buying new, shouldn't we buy a vehicle from Canada? Afterall, the money saved going to the States is money not in the Canadian salesperson's pocket, who doesn't get the commision, who then doesn't get to spend their money in Canada. I know, that's oversimplifying the situation, but, isn't that the way it works? I can see getting a used, or rare vehicle from the States, but not a new one. Besides, shouldn't we be supporting our fellow members who work for the FoMoCo in Canada?
habmann,Jul 10 2007, 10:39 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Jul 10 2007, 09:03 PM Wrote:GTO here I come. :D
[right][snapback]243665[/snapback][/right]

The current GTO is one of the american vehicles that you can't import. :( Trust me i've checked, cuz if i could bring one up i'd be all over that already.
[right][snapback]243670[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm I wonder if that applies for off road use as well? A GTO would be sweeet at the track.
oldeguy,Jul 11 2007, 07:27 AM Wrote:Besides, shouldn't we be supporting our fellow members who work for the FoMoCo in Canada?
[right][snapback]243684[/snapback][/right]

The Focus is built in US/Mexico. :lol:

Oscar The Grouch,Jul 11 2007, 07:54 AM Wrote:
oldeguy,Jul 11 2007, 07:27 AM Wrote:Besides, shouldn't we be supporting our fellow members who work for the FoMoCo in Canada?

[right][snapback]243688[/snapback][/right]
Yes, I know, but, the guy you buy, or lease it from, if bought new, is Canadian.
Yep ... it's a big deal for dealers who in turn make it a big issue with most manufacturers.

When the shoe was on the other foot (68 cent dollar) and Americans were buying cars here in large numbers ... the U.S. Ford dealers forced Ford Division (that's Ford U.S.) to force Ford Canada to do something about it.

And what Ford Canada did was create a rule that said if a dealer sold a vehicle that he knew, or should have known, was destined for the U.S. he could lose his franchise ... and indeed Ford Canada closed down a couple of dealerships that were exporting large number of vehicles to the states. In fact, Ford Canada still publishes a list of known exporters and a number of companies have lost their fleet status with Ford because of that kind of activity.

oldeguy,Jul 11 2007, 07:56 AM Wrote:

Yes, I know, but, the guy you buy, or lease it from, if bought new, is Canadian.
[right][snapback]243689[/snapback][/right]
oldeguy,Jul 11 2007, 07:56 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]243689[/snapback][/right]

And its those guys who aren't getting with the program. If I was a dealer and knew about these problems, I would sure talk to head office to ask them to lower MSRPs so that they would not lose sales to the US.

But your average person, and your main market, wouldn't go to the US to buy a car.

If the dealer has a problem, he'll bitch and complain. Besides, dealers don't make much money off of the sale, its the service they make a killing on.
oldeguy,Jul 11 2007, 07:27 AM Wrote:I don't want to say this...but, I guess I should. What happened to supporting our own economy. if were buying new, shouldn't we buy a vehicle from Canada? Afterall, the money saved going to the States is money not in the Canadian salesperson's pocket, who doesn't get the commision, who then doesn't get to spend their money in Canada. I know, that's oversimplifying the situation, but, isn't that the way it works? I can see getting a used, or rare vehicle from the States, but not a new one. Besides, shouldn't we be supporting our fellow members who work for the FoMoCo in Canada?

Like I said...Im one of those guys that could care less which economy Im supporting. I just care which economy is savin me 10g's. ;)
If anybody is looking for the list of what you can't import, check http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

I was also at Dealmaker's Ford in Ogdensburg on Saturday. They have a 2007 Roush Mustang 427R on the lot... I was working out financing in my head... $50k US... Tasty.

I've been thinking about Lancer Evo's for years... Too bad you can't bring it in.

Ryan
reldridge,Jul 11 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:I was also at Dealmaker's Ford in Ogdensburg on Saturday. They have a 2007 Roush Mustang 427R on the lot... I was working out financing in my head... $50k US... Tasty.

[right][snapback]243751[/snapback][/right]

Watch out for those...there is a difference between a stock GT which the dealer added the 427R parts to on site and a 427R produced by Roush in the USA with an official Roush serial number.
Pages: 1 2