FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Storm Pics From Last Night - Enjoy!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A few of my favourites from last night:

[Image: th_DSC_0249.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0237.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0228.jpg]
[Image: th_DSC_0043.jpg]
Holy cow, those are awesome!

What camera setup do you have to do those? With my little Olympus being a point & shoot, I can't do that fun stuff :( And I'm too cheap to go back to buying film for my Ricoh.
cool pictures what camera you running , I have http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/P...th=n32090n47384
takes pretty good pictures but not cool like yours.
Nikon D50 DSLR, 18-55mm lens (G series stocker)... all 4 of those shots were taken with a second's exposure or more.

All shots taken in Manual mode and about a F4 aperture depending on the focal length, 400 ISO "speed". There was also the Nikon noise reduction function for long shots at night.

I should note that no tripod was used because I couldn't find it. :P

I had to freehand it all, propping both arms on the outside stone windowsill as a "bipod". Worked well when you remember the key to sniper training (thanks America's Army!) - exhale, then press the shutter release.

* the last part was sort of a joke - I'm not diminishing anyone's CF training. They do actually "teach" you to snipe in AA, though.
Stop making me want to make the jump to DSLR... :P

Ryan
You don't need to get a DSLR to take pictures of lightning. Most cameras have the option to manually control your camera. All you have to do is use a slow shutter speed. You'll never catch lightning if you have to guess each time, but if you increase the length of time the shutter is open, you'll catch lightning.

Some old old pictures I took with a Canon PowerShot A75 (your average point and shoot). they're not great mind you, but with more effort than I put in, you can get decent shots of lightning too.

Lightning hitting the CN Tower
[Image: med_IMG_1326p.jpg]

Lightning flashing somewhere downtown.
[Image: med_IMG_1359.jpg]