FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Boat Steering Wheels Vs. Auto Steering Wheels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I don't know where to post this.

Maybe Andrew can answer this..

I've always wondered, and seeing as I was following a boat home from work today, its fresh in my mind.

My question is: Why are the steering wheels in our cars are on the left, but in boats they're on the right?

I've looked around, and can't find any answers.

Its because all boats are made in the UK.
Ok thats not it but I used to to why, until then just tell your self that they are all made in UK
Sounds fair enough.

I'm going to go with:
the classy, wood boats/cabin cruisers/etc = England.
the sleek speedboats = Japan.
fishing boats/other = Ireland.
In pleasure boating boats travelling in opposite directions in a small channel pass each other the same way they do on dry land (i.e. by staying to the right.)

If they are docking solo in a small channel then it's easier if the controls are close to the side where you are docking.

Just a guess.
dBlast,Jul 5 2007, 07:48 PM Wrote:In pleasure boating boats travelling in opposite directions in a small channel pass each other the same way they do on dry land (i.e. by staying to the right.)

If they are docking solo in a small channel then it's easier if the controls are close to the side where you are docking.

Just a guess.
[right][snapback]243233[/snapback][/right]
ppppfffff, ya ok bud ;) or maybe its because they are made in the uk
This answer seems as plausible as any

torradan,Jul 5 2007, 04:08 PM Wrote:Ok so I don't know where to post this.

I've always wondered, and seeing as I was following a boat home from work today, its fresh in my mind.

My question is:  Why are the steering wheels in our cars are on the left, but in boats they're on the right?

[right][snapback]243210[/snapback][/right]
... or perhaps we can blame the Pope

torradan,Jul 5 2007, 04:08 PM Wrote:Ok so I don't know where to post this.

My question is:  Why are the steering wheels in our cars are on the left, but in boats they're on the right?

[right][snapback]243210[/snapback][/right]