FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oh Nooo......i Failed!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so i got my oil change today then i got my high flow cat welded in the flex pipe which wasn't a cheap thing to do in the first thing......so then after i went on the highway one way got off and went on the highway again.......right after i went to the shop to do the E test....never let her shut off....so she just set there and idle....and i fawking FAILED!

[Image: P7050006.jpg]

so broken hearted i went to CT and bought that "Pass E test" stuffquied....went to fill up full tank and added that stuff.....gonna go back in a couple of days and see how i do......so mad:angry2:

next time im gonna sit there and rev the s*** out of her

any advise?
the temperature cools a lot from idling.. in my wrx (the EGT probe is a couple of inches from the #3 cyl).. when i am cruising on the highway it is around 1250F to 1400F.. drive around town for a bit it cools off to 850F and after i let it idle for a while it is down to 650F (like after 10min of idling)

and this is RIGHT by the block.. i bet the temperature at the end of the downpipe is much lower than that. i suspect your cat is after the flex, so it probably just cooled down to the point that it wasn't effective

you should try to arrange it so your car will be tested immediately when you get there.. you could also go back to stock to get the smog test done..
The exact reason why I haven't done an exhaust on my car!

I don't need the headaches.
Personally when I had my race header and needed an e test I just took the time to swap it to the orig. cat, get car e tested and then swap back. Since all in all its like 12 or 14 bolts. and a lot less headache.
Weird ?? my old Monte Carlo with a faulty O2 sensor and leaking exhaust past, not with flying colors but it still passed. Is that normal?
I had header dual exaust conversion, high flow cat, port and polish on my cavalier and it passed no problem. I have not changed anything on my focus but that is odd you failed. A newer even though hi flow should be better than an older stock unit.
David
Blackzx3,Jul 4 2007, 09:32 PM Wrote:Personally when I had my race header and needed an e test I just took the time to swap it to the orig. cat, get car e tested and then swap back.  Since all in all its like 12 or 14 bolts.  and a lot less headache.
[right][snapback]243127[/snapback][/right]

Same here....AFTER I got same results as nik. Those #'s are almost EXACTLY what I had with my setup. The CAT was not getting hot enough or not operating proper. If you want to pass you need to get that bitch as hot as possible, drive the hell out of it before the etest and run the car while you wait. Short of putting the stock in thats your best shot.
i donno...i just thought puttin everything back to stock was more headache....
but im gonna go back in 2 days or so.....im gonna give it a better run + i donno if this "Pass E test" stuff in my tank will help or not....if i'll get a negative result again.....i have no choice but swap it back....

Naz...lol dude....this is not the first time when u didn't read my post properly :lol:
my cat is welded into the flex pipe not after
NikiterZTS,Jul 5 2007, 02:55 AM Wrote:Naz...lol dude....this is not the first time when u didn't read my post properly  :lol:
my cat is welded into the flex pipe not after
[right][snapback]243136[/snapback][/right]

lol i guess engrish pwns me

same difference though.. that far away from the exhaust manifold i don't think a few inches makes a difference

the key point in my orig post was

Quote:so it probably just cooled down to the point that it wasn't effective

So glad I don't have to worry about air care in here in the Okanogan! Woot!
Go to Crappy Tire and get a 4L jug of Methyl Hydrate from the camping section.

Dump it in your gas tank with about a half tank of gas and go for Etest. The methyl hydrate burns hotter and cleaner and should heat up your cat nicely.

Once you pass, then go fill up the rest of your tank to full to dillute the mixture.

this stuff is the same as gasline anti-freeze
^^can some one confirm that this is a safe way to get this done?

sounds a LIL risky..,,,

p.s. how many time can i go and re-do my E-test??

(i should of bought SVTF header kit :rolleyes: )
I havent had anybody confirm to me if they have passed with a high flo cat. Every single person out there that has one has failed from what I can tell. Go back to stock, run the test, and put your stuff back on. PITA, but there isnt much else you can do.

Next etest im going to get I'm welding in a stock cat that I can easily remove for this exact kind of thing.

I did pass with a highflow with flying colours, just in the stock location!.
We passed with a hi flow cat and the boy performing his own test with the wand further back!
where is it located?
Nik go under with a propane torch and heat that sob up red around the block before you go lol .

Around here they go underneath the car , check for leaks and if you have "A" cat and if so you pass no testing. :D Gotta love new brunswick.
^^ontraio is all about rules.....but then again we have more cars in Torono then u guys in the whole NB :)
yeah and we got tons of trees you guys dont lol what your cars s*** out yahs breath . our trees make new air
The guy that owns my old ZX3 did an E-test not too long ago, and passed with flying colours. He said he just needs to replace the FR 9mm wires, and one of the gaskets on the front end of the MBRP, and the car will be smoother and quieter again.

Sorry to hear about your luck though...
Pages: 1 2