FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Whats With The Paranoia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK so i haven't been on this site a whole lot in the last bit so could someone explain something to me? Are the cops in ontario really cracking down that hard on modified cars? If anyone has any links or stuff that would be appreciated. I'm thinking about moving from vancouver to ancaster to be close to my family again but big brother like cracking down on modded cars really freaks me out as i want to mod my focus alot more than it is. I really don't know to much about the whole situtation so any info would again be greatly appreciated.
To tell you the truth I think that the problem isnt so much to worry about in london.
Its more for places like toronto and what not. Dont do anything stupid... turbo may be a bad idea till this gets all figured out.
check the ontario forum.. lots of threads in there.. the few times i visit toronto it does seem like the police are out to make an example of ppl with obviously modified cars

if you don't draw attention to yourself with wild paint, loud exhaust, etc and you don't drive like an a$$hat going 100kph on residential streets, etc i wouldn't worry too much
it is just what was said in a few threads, it's nothing more then paranoia brought on by politicans because an election is coming up... they can't legally take your car away from you if you have not done anything, or have a criminal record.

it takes the police a while with long battles in the courts to have your car taken away and crushed.
5 modded cars driving together have been impounded on HW 7 i believe
NikiterZTS,Jun 28 2007, 05:24 PM Wrote:5 modded cars driving together have been impounded on HW 7 i believe
[right][snapback]242625[/snapback][/right]

So I guess no more cruise nights in Ontario?
What r u guys gonna do at the BBQ? Don't u guys usualy go for a tour?
This is simply idiotic... What about trucks that are lifted to the tilt and still pass inspection? Aren't they as dangerous? It's not everyone that moddifies his/her car that street races. Some of us always take it to the track!

i believe those cars were speeding.....i don't know the whole story...sorry
NikiterZTS,Jun 28 2007, 04:24 PM Wrote:5 modded cars driving together have been impounded on HW 7 i believe
[right][snapback]242625[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, but how were they modified Nik? Were they driving like maniacs? Frankly without that information, your comment doesn't sway me one way or the other as to whether I should worry.

Heck, I want Peel Regional to be stupid and stop me because I drive a "modified car" I'd let them crawl all over it, they wouldn't find jack that's against the HTA and I'd get a good laugh at their expense :D

NefCanuck
all i know is that i drive like a turtle for a while
NefCanuck,Jun 28 2007, 11:11 PM Wrote:Heck, I want Peel Regional to be stupid and stop me.....I'd get a good laugh at their expense :D
[right][snapback]242632[/snapback][/right]

i dunno man.. cops never fight fair.. i'm sure there are ton of legal ways they could give you a hard time if they really wanted to. then you'd have to either suck it up and take it or go through the aggrevation of fighting it out in court, which i could see totally consuming your whole life

i'm all about avoiding the popo as much as possible and minding my own friggin business...
It's an election year.

All hype.

Move into town...your fine :roilleyes:
Ok this is a true story that happened last year

My friend at work was just chilling at a Tim Horton's in Oakville with some friends maybe 8 cars all together and the cops showed up with the MTO and they did a complete inspection of every car, emissions and all that stuff. They even checked the brakes to see if they were set up properly.
My friend and his infinite wisdom had removed his cat to get a little more power and ended up with a $5'000 ticket.
So I'm driving down to London next week in a 2003 VW Golf 20th ani. edition.

I wonder, will we get pulled over for the stock window tint, the stock 18" rims, the stock braking system or the stock turbo on the 1.8L engine??

The car comes equipped from the manufacturer like that, and yet, I know we're going to get harrassed in the near future. :rolleyes:
Canadian ST,Jun 28 2007, 08:07 PM Wrote:Ok this is a true story that happened last year

My friend at work was just chilling at a Tim Horton's in Oakville with some friends maybe 8 cars all together and the cops showed up with the MTO and they did a complete inspection of every car, emissions and all that stuff. They even checked the brakes to see if they were set up properly.
My friend and his infinite wisdom had removed his cat to get a little more power and ended up with a $5'000 ticket.
[right][snapback]242646[/snapback][/right]

wooooooooow! why do u have scare me like that????? :ph34r:
ZX5chica,Jun 28 2007, 09:48 PM Wrote:So I'm driving down to London next week in a 2003 VW Golf 20th ani. edition.

I wonder, will we get pulled over for the stock window tint, the stock 18" rims, the stock braking system or the stock turbo on the 1.8L engine??

The car comes equipped from the manufacturer like that, and yet, I know we're going to get harrassed in the near future.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]242651[/snapback][/right]

I think if they do start cracking down it's going to be on cars that clearly look modified like your a typical Honda Civic, Accord, & Prelude, Acura Integras, and Mitsubishi Eclips & Lancers as they are the most visually seen as " Racer / Modded " cars.
But what right does the MTO have to do spot inspections on cars on PRIVATE PROPERTY? The condition of your vehicle on private property and how you operate it is something that's between you and the property owner until you're called in for trespassing.

You can sit there all day long, drive around until you run out of gas and then call a tow truck to get you home. Of course, once you're on the truck and going down the road, technically you can be inspected then.

For the guys at Timmies that got busted, it sounds more than a little fishy. Then again, I'm guessing (as mentioned) that they weren't stock ricers with flashy wheels. I'm also guessing they drew more than their fair share of attention.
yea we had a story here at Timmies as well about this one Porsche driving in too fast and being too loud...anyways cop was there on the lot....talked to the guy in the cruiser for like 15 mins and at the end he couldn't give him a ticket cuz it was on the private property....we even asked him
Sorry Adam but this is urban myth ... between the law (and importantly the regulations) associated with the Highway Traffic Act, the Dangerous Goods Transportation Act, the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act, the Off-Road Vehicles Act and the Public Vehicles Act ... there's virtually no restriction as to where and when your vehicle can be inspected.

NOS2Go4Me,Jun 28 2007, 11:18 PM Wrote:But what right does the MTO have to do spot inspections on cars on PRIVATE PROPERTY? The condition of your vehicle on private property and how you operate it is something that's between you and the property owner until you're called in for trespassing.

You can sit there all day long, drive around until you run out of gas and then call a tow truck to get you home. Of course, once you're on the truck and going down the road, technically you can be inspected then.

For the guys at Timmies that got busted, it sounds more than a little fishy. Then again, I'm guessing (as mentioned) that they weren't stock ricers with flashy wheels. I'm also guessing they drew more than their fair share of attention.
[right][snapback]242663[/snapback][/right]
so bottom line is.....MTO can inspect any vehicle any where but regular cops can not give tickets just like that......
mmmm - no.

Bottom line = private property is no sanctuary against law enforcement.

NikiterZTS,Jun 29 2007, 09:21 AM Wrote:so bottom line is.....MTO can inspect any vehicle any where but regular cops can not give tickets just like that......
[right][snapback]242676[/snapback][/right]
Pages: 1 2