FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: On: Hov Lanes Coming To Highway 417
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HOV lanes coming to Highway 417 in Ottawa and Nepean
Source: Canadiandriver
June 28, 2007

Ottawa, Ontario - The Ontario government has announced it is widening Highway 417 to create a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane to ease congestion and get more people carpooling. More than 92,000 drivers use the highway each day.

Highway 417 will be widened from four to eight lanes from Highway 416 to Eagleson Road, to create a 4.4-km eastbound HOV lane. The reserved bus lane along the 417 will be kept to promote public transit and give commuters more options. HOV lanes are for use by buses and vehicles carrying more than one occupant, and are intended to provide fast, reliable travel for carpoolers, particularly during peak travel periods when other lanes can be slow and congested. Ontario also has HOV lanes on Highways 403 and 404 in the Greater Toronto Area.

Other improvements to the highway include repaving Highway 416 from Hunt Club Road to Highway 417; repairing and widening the bridge at Moodie Drive; installing new lighting; and repairing the Ottawa Central Railway bridges along the route.
Woo Hooo !! Although I'm never in that traffic, I do feel for the other drivers!

It's about damn time!

If I get the job I applied for out on March road, it will make commuting much nicer.

Ryan