FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Leaking Oil.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

I just noticed that since thursday the car is now leaking oil. 3" spots on the driveway.

Does anyone know what / where a leak will be coming from if it's a head gasket? (heaven forbid)

Not sure where it's coming from yet.

Anyone else have a leaky car? and is there anything I can do about it?
Could just be your oil filter leaking or you may need to replace the oil drain plug as the seal on the plug may be gone.

That would be wayyyyyy too easy though.

You need to determine where the oil is coming from before we all guess ourselves into oblivion.

Look under the car mister.
I agree with Bryan, get under there and at least see where the drip finishes its trip, if not seeing exactly where its leaking from.

Break out the jackstands! :D
I'm on it!

I'll take pictures tonight!
as others have said check the super easy.. (drain plug, oil filter) then check the other stuff... (oil pan gasket, camshaft seals, front and rear main seals)

check the coolant reservoir too.. if the head gasket is gone the coolant would start to get murky/oily

and also, this is super obvious.. but when you have the car up, you should clean up the oil pan and the block really well so it will be easier for you to diagnose the source of the leak
:blink: I'm surprised that you're even stumped as to where this leak is coming from Anthony....

I mean I've seen your engine bay, that motor springs a leak it's a glowing neon sign in there :lol:

NefCanuck
What is involved in replacing an oilpan seal?

I'd think quite a bit no?
It's easy, I've taken mine off a few times to do my oil lines.

on the 00 model, there is no gasket, you have to use a gasket maker for it. I got the stuff from Ford.

1. Drain oil pan
2. Start taking off the bolts. (lots of em)
3. Pull on that motherfawker

If its the 1st time, its gonna be hard to get off, you may try and pry it, but dont do to much of that as it wont seal properly when you re-install.
ya that's about it. .you might have to get off some other misc bolts (i had to undo part of the flywheel cover for my integra) there were like 16 bolts for me.. should be similar for you i'm guessing..

don't go nuts torquing things back or you will mess up the gasket

the cam seals are not bad either.. its the front and rear main seals that i think are more of a bear..

also shouldn't you be under there cleaning stuff up before you decide to replace anything... :P
The fact that I've scrubbed the s*** out of my driveway trying to get the oil up pissed me off enough as it was.

I need to get under the car and see where it's coming from. :(
ANTHONYD,Jun 25 2007, 10:33 PM Wrote:The fact that I've scrubbed the s*** out of my driveway trying to get the oil up pissed me off enough as it was.

[right][snapback]242347[/snapback][/right]

my parking spot is concrete.. right after i sold my integra i wanted a clean spot so i could keep tabs on the oil usage of the wagon..

to clean up all the oil my teg leaked i poured a ton of liquid laundry detergent and/or dish soap on the ground, let it sit for a couple of hours, and then come back and pour some soda water over it, and then pour some cat litter over the whole mess (not the clumping kind.. just the cheapest litter you can find) you just want it to absorb.. let the cat litter sit for a bit then brush that stuff up too

really messy and sucky but it got the job done
ANTHONYD,Jun 25 2007, 05:33 PM Wrote:The fact that I've scrubbed the s*** out of my driveway trying to get the oil up pissed me off enough as it was.

[right][snapback]242347[/snapback][/right]

Crap, if you still have stains on the driveway, lemme know, I can bring over my steamer, it can lift fresh oil stains n/p (Older stains take a bit more elbow grease though)

NefCanuck
wd-40 works wonders on oil stains on driveways

good luck with the leak
i m having same problem..
changed valve gasket and it seemed it fixed but..after few days noticed again..

thought it was fresh oil i poured in but it was burnt transmission oil..
if you find the leaking spot on the lower radiator support, then it is transmission line.

otherwise, valve cover gasket maybe the one.
Has anyone been parking in your spot? :blink: <_<

I've heard a few stories before... you can nerver be 100% sure, lol.

Hope you do find a leak on your car ;)
Try brake clean...I work at a car garage now as an apprentice mechanic and we use brake clean here to take the oil out of anything......even our hands and clothes.

As for the leak...if you have no oil in the coolant, filter and drain plug are good. check the corners of the valve cover gaskets that go. My mechanic here I work with said if so just try tightening them a little more (not a ton though) and drive it for a couple of days (3-4) and check them again. If that is not the problem then it has got to be in the oil pan.

But they are cast panes and well not very often do they leak. we usually find it is in the valve gaskets though....I'd say at least 5-6 out of every 10 we see with that problem of leaking oil.

If none of that works just pm me or email me and i will see what else that it could be with my lisenced mechanic and the ones I know here in Kingston.....

Good luck ANTHONYD hope this helps you out a ton.....
Throw some cardboard under it tonight so you can find the fresh puddle. Can help you narrow it down better...

Ryan
I can come over and take a look Anthony, just let me know.........
or shampoo whole engine and see if you can find any leak
Whatever happened here? Our ZTW had a leaking oil pan found after putting the die in oil.

5 litres of oil, oil filter, can of brake cleaner, tube of Motorcraft gasket. All cost $50 at local dealership.

1 hour later and no leak. Cleaned up the outside of pan and primed and painted it since it looked like it may rust in the next 6 years.

No more oil spots on my cheap driveway.