FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Service For An 01 Focus Se(spi)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hay guys what's up!
Ok so tonight I took my wife's 01 Focus se (spi) out for a quick boot to pick up cold medicine and I noticed the car running sluggish and I think I need new dampers to boot.

The Engine: it has 126'000km and has had its oil changed every 5'000km or 3 months. I haven't changed the fuel filter or done a tune up on the car ever (except to change the air filter) The car just feels slow. What would be a recommended service for it?

The suspension:
Ok its bone stock and my wife likes it just the way it is. Should I replace the springs as well as the struts/shocks? I'm going to use Ford parts because I get a discount through work. The ride is just soft so I think it may just be worn dampers, but if im going to change them is it worth doing springs to?

We plan on keeping this car for at least another couple of years so I don't mind spending the money on it.

Thanks
I would start with plugs and the fuel filter and see where that gets you. As for the suspension, if the struts are wet around the top replace them. Or you could do them anyway it wouldn't hurt while doing the springs. That would save you on 2 labour charges.
I'd second the air/fuel filter on the SPI... especially the fuel filter. It's really sensitive to that, but then again most engines would be.

Also seconding the full refresh. It has over 120K on it... I'd do springs/shocks/struts all the way around.

Do you think she'd notice coilovers much? :D
I'd suggest the SVT suspension, drop won't be that noticable and your discount still applies ;)
It'd be a waste of a good anti-sway at the rear... unless you bought a set of BiscuitNinja's anti-sway clamps. He's on FocalJet and I've bought from him personally without grief.
if the dampers were worn the car would go up and down a lot when you go over bumps. just because its soft doesn't mean something is broken.. maybe its just how it is (its a family car)

and maybe its slow because it has 110hp (and i'm guessing automatic).. but changing filters wouldn't hurt if the car is due up for them anyway

sorry don't mean to sound like an a$$, but i envision you dumping money into this thing trying to 'fix' stuff that really is just inherent in the vehicle
for suspension get the SVT spring and dampers. she might not notice the difference, but you would. (and they're cheap!) for tune up, definately do fuel filter. also plugs and wires if you havent for a long while. another thing is to be sure you maintain your transmission (flush and new fluid etc). That is something that you do not want to replace or fix. im not sure of the service intervals on that, but u should look into it.
Get the FULL tune up....plugs, wires, oil, air, fuel, filters. even get the tranny fluid changed. Everyone is going to dissagree with me but I work at a garage and had a focus that when it was stolen had 347k on it and found after a 100k on tranny fluid the shifting was sluggish and the car responded a "little" sluggish, not alot but enough to notice the differrence.

Other than that the politest way I can say this is it's an SPI and they are always a little sluggish especially after a 100k on them.....hope this helps you out