FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car On Blocks....bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I put the BMW up on blocks this past week-end to start tackling the huge fart canon I have on it (hate it) and found out Im better off replacing the whole muffler and center pipe. Called CAPS, and for $150 Im gonna do it, Bosal replacement... not to shabby.

Anyways, while it was up I noticed my sway bar links are toast in both the front and back. I want to replace these but dont want to do it for another month or so...Will leaving the car on the stands for a month or two mess it up? I can do the xhaust this week-end, and put it down, but dont really want to since I'll be jacking it up again a month from now. I'd like to take off the old sway bar links this week-end once Im done the exhaust...
I've never had a problem with any cars i've ever left on stands for an extended period of time
don't some people leave their cars like that over winter? they just take their rims off and put it on stands or blocks
I think as long as the blocks are under the suspension you're fine. Its only if you're letting the suspension hang you run into problems....
SVT ZX3,Jun 18 2007, 04:58 PM Wrote:I think as long as the blocks are under the suspension you're fine. Its only if you're letting the suspension hang you run into problems....
[right][snapback]241699[/snapback][/right]
I agree, personally I don't like to keep the weight of the suspension hanging with the strut/shock fully extended for a whole month, letting the shafts dry out.

But it's a subjective opinion. Personally, would rather just drop the car even if it had no end links, as long as you don't drive it.
Yeah, support the suspension with the jackstands/blocks and you'll be fine, Nate.

Think I'll just remove the old links this week-end and drop it then.

thanks for the tips!
Only if you position them badly.
Mason,Jun 19 2007, 12:42 PM Wrote:Only if you position them badly.
[right][snapback]241804[/snapback][/right]

position what badly
The blocks or jack stands. I seen one guy put them on the wheel studs with the tires off. :D
But no if you use jack stands right they wont damage anything.
I put the jack stands where the manual tells me.
Only thing I'd check Flo is local bylaws... I know some municipalities have bylaws against having vehicles that are inoperable in driveways (safety risk or some BS). I'd check and make sure that Rockland doesn't have anything like that first.

Otherwise, having the car on stands (in the proper jacking points) would be no problem.

Ryan

02ztsian

I hope your neighbors are understanding.
reldridge,Jun 20 2007, 12:06 PM Wrote:Only thing I'd check Flo is local bylaws... I know some municipalities have bylaws against having vehicles that are inoperable in driveways (safety risk or some BS). I'd check and make sure that Rockland doesn't have anything like that first.

Otherwise, having the car on stands (in the proper jacking points) would be no problem.

Ryan
[right][snapback]241885[/snapback][/right]

Ah just throw a cover over it... no one will know! hehehe
^^ Actually, that works wonders!