FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Air Condition Problem (recirculate Button)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi all, I have a 01 focus wagon. I notice that when the recirculate button is on the gain on air flow is not noticeable. also, I can still smell odor. basically the recirculating button does not function at all.

it's not a major problem. But the air condition is not cold now and like I said i can smell other people's exhaust.

What should I be looking at to fix this problem?

Thanks
Well, if you're saying that there is no measurable decrease in the temperature coming from the vents with the A/C on, I think you have some pretty major A/C issues (Which could be anything from the refridgerant leaking out, to the A/C compressor dying, to the A/C clutch becoming inoperative)

IOW, its dealer time (or private mechanic, if you're lucky enough to know one who has modern A/C servicing equipment.

NefCanuck
one thing Nef didn't mention was, you could be out of CFC in your A/C making it seem like it's not getting cold enough, or it's just blowing out warm air. Usually you have to recharge it like every 5 years or so?

as for the smell it could be the interior air filter that could be bad.
Thanks for all response.

sorry for not being clear. when i turn the A/C on and recirculating off, it blows cold air. When I turn the A/C on and recirculating on, it feels the same as A/C on recirculating off. no significant gaining on air flow and coldness.

My last refill was last year.

just I remember all the cars that I driven before, when I have A/C ON and recirculating ON, it always seem cooler and more air flow, And no odor from outside.
I would check the cabin air filter which is under the black plastic trim between the hood and the wipers on the passenger side accesible by removing the trim pannel from the exterior of the car. I will see if I can find the How-To for it.

You can get it in here.
Focus Canada How To's

I don't have a filter there. I didn't came with one and I never bother put in one.
I am worry about if any mechanics of the recirculation is bad. or the button.
awang44,Jun 18 2007, 04:29 PM Wrote:I am worry about if any mechanics of the recirculation is bad. or the button.
[right][snapback]241694[/snapback][/right]
If you don't hear the damper switch over, one or the other is likely a problem.

Yes, you 'should' hear a slight 'thump' as the damper (large flap type valve) moves from one position to the other. If not, it could be stuck, or the motor/solenoid has failed. If the recirc light comes on, I'd check the damper first.

(And sparky, you ARE a SB! :lol: ...or were you just pointing out the obvious? :lol:)

S.
http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/54044...irculate+Button

try this maybe it works, RECIRC is only operational if you have the air going through the panel and/or floor vents. So, even if you try hitting the button when you are defogging/defrosting your front windshield, it will not light.
^^ Yes, that's true. I forgot about that.

Me, a SB?? Sarcasm never crossed my mind. :ph34r:
awang44,Jun 18 2007, 04:29 PM Wrote:I don't have a filter there. I didn't came with one and I never bother put in one.
I am worry about if any mechanics of the recirculation is bad. or the button.
[right][snapback]241694[/snapback][/right]

Get one of those. Thats probibly why your smell other peoples cars.
The light does come on. the air flow is on floor or panel. but i don't hear the damper moving when i hit the switch...

so the problem should be that damper thing...

How do I check it???
Is there a fuse for this? If so, it might be a fuse problem
what exactly does the recirculate button do?
Spinal,Jun 21 2007, 09:49 AM Wrote:what exactly does the recirculate button do?
[right][snapback]241964[/snapback][/right]
It closes off a vent so you don't bring in warmer air from outside, so your air conditioner will run cooler.
does it burn anymore gas? and im assuming its a good idea to keep it on all the time?
I don't think it will burn more gas since the air in the cabin is already cooler then outside, in summer when you need the air con on. The compressor doesn't have to work as hard as cooling down the hot air from out side. I guess the only negative is when you have it on for too long, oxygen is consumed by passengers then you might feel a bit discomfort. but again I don't think Focus is that air tight. It should be ok to keep it on all the time.

So... anyone had idea how it works?
Windows will some times fog or get condensation on them if you leave it on for a really long time.
I thought it would be the opposite since moisture inside are constantly being sucked out every time the air is recycled. I may be wrong.

Mason,Jun 25 2007, 03:18 PM Wrote:Windows will some times fog or get condensation on them if you leave it on for a really long time.
[right][snapback]242302[/snapback][/right]
awang44,Jun 25 2007, 11:05 AM Wrote:I thought it would be the opposite since moisture inside are constantly being sucked out  every time the air is recycled. I may be wrong.

Mason,Jun 25 2007, 03:18 PM Wrote:Windows will some times fog or get condensation on them if you leave it on for a really long time.
[right][snapback]242302[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]242306[/snapback][/right]

But as the glass cools inside, the outside of the glass is still getting warmed up. This can lead to condensation outside the window, requiring the occasional wipe with teh windshield wipers to get rid of it.

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2