FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Advice Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I could use a little advice regarding a $150.00 parking ticket I received on the weekend. My wife has a permit to use the Handicapped parking spaces. On Friday, with my wife with me, while visiting a dying friend in hospital, I put the permit on the dash, as I usually do. Come out a couple of hours later to find a ticket on the windshield for
"Parking Unauthorized Vehicle in Designated Handicap Parking Space". Unfortunately, all the information is correct, but there is a comment on the ticket, which reads:
OB Obst. Permit #******* which is correct.
So, my question is, if the "person" who issued the ticket can read the permit number, than I'm authorised to park there.
What would court costs be if I fought it and lost?
Any advice will be appreciated, but of course, if I use your advice and get screwed, I won't be upset with the advice giver.
could fight that it was hanging and must have fell thats why it was on the dash
Have your wife fight it and have it dropped. Its crazy that they would ticket a car with a permit at the hospital of all places.
Speak with a Justice of the Peace and he may be able to void the ticket.
Something is screwy here. Where was the permit exactly on the dashboard? Was it clearly visable month & year of expiry? Assuming there is no issure regarding obstructed view, I can't see how the hell that ticket got issued in the first place :blink:

That's where I almost got nailed years ago, I used to leave the permit attached to my sunvisor and turn it down when I left the car so that it was visable from the outside. Found the one ticket drone who couldn't see the permit through the blue sunblocker at the top of my windshield and had to get the ticket that they issed against me voided :rolleyes: Had to show the clerk my car and even they said "Uh...."

Good luck

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2007, 10:46 AM Wrote:Something is screwy here.  Where was the permit exactly on the dashboard?  Was it clearly visable month & year of expiry?  Assuming there is no issure regarding obstructed view, I can't see how the hell that ticket got issued in the first place :blink:

That's where I almost got nailed years ago, I used to leave the permit attached to my sunvisor and turn it down when I left the car so that it was visable from the outside.  Found the one ticket drone who couldn't see the permit through the blue sunblocker at the top of my windshield and had to get the ticket that they issed against me voided :rolleyes: Had to show the clerk my car and even they said "Uh...."

Good luck

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]241653[/snapback][/right]
It was tucked up against the windshield. Where it has been put everytime it's used. Wasn't really thinking about whether it could be seen or not. Like I said, it was put where I put it everytime it's used. I think a note would have gotten my attention. I work in a school and the same guy has been a pain in the butt for people using the school's parking lot.
NefCanuck,Jun 18 2007, 10:46 AM Wrote:Something is screwy here.  Where was the permit exactly on the dashboard?  Was it clearly visable month & year of expiry?  Assuming there is no issure regarding obstructed view, I can't see how the hell that ticket got issued in the first place :blink:

[right][snapback]241653[/snapback][/right]

If everything is like NefCanuck said , you will have to lose one day in court to debate it , basicly it will cost you $150.00 ( day off , gas , parking & food ) to void a $150.00 ticket.. :rolleyes:

How fun is that.. either way it will cost you.. :angry:
in the US you are able to do a hearing by mail where you write a letter to the prosecutor explaining the situation.. couldn't you just write (should be an addr on the back of the ticket) and include the permit and it should be tossed out. that's the most stupid parking ticket ever
naz,Jun 18 2007, 01:11 PM Wrote:in the US you are able to do a hearing by mail where you write a letter to the prosecutor explaining the situation.. couldn't you just write (should be an addr on the back of the ticket) and include the permit and it should be tossed out. that's the most stupid parking ticket ever
[right][snapback]241665[/snapback][/right]

yeah but also in the us, and most US states that you didn't mention either is that the handicap perment is written on your plate, or is part of your plate number, not to paper style ones that Ontario still uses...
Frost__2001,Jun 18 2007, 01:39 PM Wrote:
naz,Jun 18 2007, 01:11 PM Wrote:in the US you are able to do a hearing by mail where you write a letter to the prosecutor explaining the situation.. couldn't you just write (should be an addr on the back of the ticket) and include the permit and it should be tossed out. that's the most stupid parking ticket ever

yeah but also in the us, and most US states that you didn't mention either is that the handicap perment is written on your plate, or is part of your plate number, not to paper style ones that Ontario still uses...
[right][snapback]241681[/snapback][/right]

Actually Frost Ontario used to issue Disabled Parking Plates and only started issuing paper permits because they were more portable (IE: The permit goes with teh older, not the vehicle)

However, this has lead to a massive increase in fraudlent use of the things and were it my choice, I would suggest that anyone with a permanent disability be issued a plate again and leave the paper permit for temporary use or an app for a travel one for permenant plate holders as required.

This would allow them to allocate resources to checking out the "temporary permits" and leave people who need the things permemnantly in peace.

NefCanuck
Fight it, it's bulls***.
Frost__2001,Jun 18 2007, 06:39 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]241681[/snapback][/right]

no there are also temporary plates.. like if you break a leg or something and are temporarily disabled, you don't need to get that special plate that has the wheelchair on it.. you could get a paper on too.

also, my point was, it should be pretty easy to fight this ticket because it is bs, and there should be instructions on how to do so on the back of the ticket.

i have had a couple of parking tickets tossed out in manhattan (THAT place is the worst ever for parking tickets.. its a huge revenue engine for the city) without ever missing a day of work or setting foot in a prosecutor's office, just be writing as per the instructions on the back of the ticket
I went yesterday to the dreaded Parking Authority in Toronto. Things started off well, I found a parking spot, was going to pay for the rental of the parking spot when a guy gave me his, as it had over an hour still to go, went inside, waited in line for only 5 minutes, got up to the clerk, showed him the ticket and my wife's permit. He immediately cancelled the ticket, saying that the enforcement officer probably couldn't see the expiry date of the permit, but, since it is a valid permit, he cancelled it. A good day afterall.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their advice!
good to hear
Well done!
Proof positive that it does pay to fight when you're right yes? ;)

NefCanuck
Oui :P
should have parked on the side walk its only $60
We use either plates or those tags that dangle off the rearview mirror (majorly annoying, since they don't take them off when driving. but on a positive note, its like a little flag telling you that you have a 90% chance of being behind an old fart who can't drive.)

I'd fight it. Thats retarded that they wrote you when you had the permit there. Especially since you said he/she was able to read the permit # on the ticket.

Does it cost any points on your license or however you guys work it up there if you *would* be guilty of this nonsense?
No points Torradan, just a huge fine (at least in theory :rolleyes:)

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2