FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Unlocking Ford's Secret: The World Car Is Dead.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very Interesting article on motortrend.

Unlocking Ford's Secret: The World Car is Dead Linky...
I really don't care where it's built, ( Canada would be nice though ) or if some of the parts aren't the same, as long as the chassis is the same and we get the same choices in engines. I want my Ford TDI!
Quote:to ensure cost is kept low enough to make a version of the car viable for North American buyers, while giving Europeans the ability to deliver the unique body styles and features their markets demand.

At first I found it a good idea, well, still do but this part brought me back down to earth.
You see, we still won't get the same cars as in Europe. They will still get the better body styles and performance with their cars. The good thing is since we will all have the same chassis, then we could buy the parts needed to make it equilevent to them.

Untill then, I'll try to find some cash to drop a turbo in my North Americain ST.
Gravter,Jun 14 2007, 08:56 AM Wrote:
Quote:to ensure cost is kept low enough to make a version of the car viable for North American buyers, while giving Europeans the ability to deliver the unique body styles and features their markets demand.

At first I found it a good idea, well, still do but this part brought me back down to earth.
You see, we still won't get the same cars as in Europe. They will still get the better body styles and performance with their cars. The good thing is since we will all have the same chassis, then we could buy the parts needed to make it equilevent to them.

Untill then, I'll try to find some cash to drop a turbo in my North Americain ST.
[right][snapback]241349[/snapback][/right]
give us the choices that our European and the rest of the world get, TDI, etc., and at least, the same chassis as Ford's other companies are using for the vehicle class, ie, Mazda3
Yeah, Mazda getting the new-gen chassis is a little disappointing. The only real reason I bought the Focus is because I like it. I'd like it a hell of a lot more as a turbo-5 ST. I guess with the plans for the MazdaSpeed3/6 in the works, they couldn't bring over the Focus ST and take away from their sales :rolleyes:
Thats nuts if they are saying it would take away from their sales... it's basically the same company for crying out loud!
Having an older Focus, I placate myself by reading comparisons to the compacts from 2000. The Focus comes off really well, as long as I ignore the recall comments :lol:
Well as much as I like my 07 ST I sure would have like to see some extra power options. The other "ST" gets a turbo with warrenty we get "that will void your warrenty"
I really think that Ford has to provide its Focus owners with Warrenty approved racing parts. :blink:
It has nothing to do with trying to blatantly wanting to screw over the NA customer. It has to do with projected market.

As much as we hate to admit it, "we" are the minority of Focus drivers. Out of my immediate circle of Focus owners: I care about performance. My neighbour's daughter, my mother-in-law, my wife's best friend could care less. They bought the car because it's a cheap A to B car.

People don't want a $30G Focus. Especially because "it's just a Ford". All the pissing and moaning in the world won't change that. The Mazda3 can get away with it because (1) it's smaller company that exports globally and (2) in the consumer's eyes it's a Jap company (and therefore has Jap quality Magic).

Would I like it changed? Sure. Put a Turbo 2.3 in there from the factory, I'd be one of the first to sign up. Don't hold your breath just yet.
no sweat guys.. there are so many sweet cars to chose from right now.. i feel like there has never been a better time to be an enthusiast!

268hp CAMRY that traps like.. 97mph.. wtf.
twin turbo 3 series
RS series audis coming to the US
STi vs EVO in the US

etc etc etc

are you really gonna miss those euro spec ford products that we aren't getting?
I guess when you're a fan of a certain car, you would. I know I am.

Hence why I'm upgrading it, to take the car with the handling I love and shoehorn in some more ponies for the straightline experience I want.

Camry - bleh
Twin-turbo 3-series BMW - if I wanted to spend a lot more, sure. But I don't.
RS-series Audis - nah, too ostentatious for my liking. Nice, but not for me.
STi (sure, if I wanted to spend a lot more. It is worth it, tho) vs EVO (not happening in Canada which is a pity)

I'll stick with an upgraded Focus for significantly less cash than anything listed above. If I wanted factory crazy, it'd be a MazdaSpeed3 first, STi second (only on pure dollars spent).
I like my Focus. Always felt good driving a Ford
Pfft, Ford is dead to me know personally any way. I've owned 3 Fords so far and if dosn't have the Chrome Pony in the grill I'll never own another one again, not that any of them have been particulary bad, its just that Ford doesn't give a flying $hit about performance in ANY of their cars anymore except the Mustang.....and I have to agree with OAC, 1 out of every 50 focus owners is an auto ethusiast and that is not enough to justify a $30k Focus. As great a car as the SVTf was it was a huge sales flop and even I would have never and didn't pay the $29k sitcker price on mine.